U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 PM

9 posts, read 53,977 times

Advertisements

We currently rent in Hillsborough County, Florida and are considering purchasing a home in Citrus County, Florida. We have targeted the areas of Beverly Hills and Citrus Springs in Citrus County because of the good school ratings (another poster mentioned this as well) and the reasonably priced homes. Our kiddo will be elementary school age in about 1 year so a good public school is important to us. Last weekend, we drove through Beverly Hills and Citrus Springs. The drive was very scenic and quiet. In hindsight, we should have gotten out of the car and gone into a few stores to get a better feel for the area.

We lived in Spring Hill, Hernando County a few years ago, liked it and wanted to buy a home there. We thought the home prices were so good we could always send our child to a private school if anything. However, we decided against Spring Hill because all the sinkhole reports and how difficult it is to get insurance for same.

We would welcome any thoughts on living in Citrus County in particular Beverly Hills and Citrus Springs as they relate to the following:

1) Crime. We checked Trulia and it seems that Citrus Springs has a low crime rate mainly traffic related. On the other hand, Beverly Hills based on that data seems to be divided. East of North Forest Ridge Blvd appears to be quieter than the West side in terms of crime with the exception of the HOA Forest Ridge community.
2) Shopping. We are looking for close proximity to a variety of stores for shopping (grocery, clothes etc) and eating out (which we do once and a while). On City Data we just saw a few places…CVs, Walgreens, Subway. Another poster mentioned a Winn Dixie. We also saw a Publix and a new Walmart. However, are there any shopping centers/stores in nearby cities?
3) Schools/Preschools. We think the public schools look great on paper. What do you think? Also, are there any preschools nearby?
4) Healthcare. What do you think about healthcare in that area or should we look to other cities? We need a good primary care physician, pediatrician, dentist and pediatric dentist. Is there an urgent care close by? For hospitals, other posters suggested Seven Rivers Hospital in Crystal River over Citrus Memorial Hospital, Inverness. Someone even said to go as far as Shands in Gainesville.
5) Public Parks. Which ones are close by?
6) Library System. What do you think about the Library system in Citrus County?
7) Sex offenders. All areas have them. Should we stay away from a certain area because there are more of them? Another poster said to stay away from Dunnellon.
8) Sinkholes. Should we be worried about sinkholes in Citrus County? Is it as prevalent as Hernando county?
9) Food insurance. Do you need flood insurance in Citrus County?
10) HOA. Is there an HOA in Citrus Springs? If yes, what is the average fee per year? Beverly Hills has a few HOA communities and we already found out the HOA for Laurel Ridge and Forest Ridge through MLS listings.
11) Electric/Gas/Water. Who are the electric providers in Citrus County? Some homes listed Progress Energy (Duke) for Beverly Hills and Citrus Springs and Withlacoochee for Citrus Springs. Are there any others? Are bills usually expensive? Some areas of Citrus Springs have natural gas tanks. Who is the natural gas provider there? One home had well water. What exactly would that mean for us in terms of comparison to public water?

Please feel free to tell us of other areas in Citrus County we should be open to when considering the above?

Look forward to hearing your feedback. Please be as kind as possible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 PM

34 posts, read 88,970 times
I'm also looking at Citrus Hills and would love to see some responses to your questions.
For me it's an empty nest early retirement situation, the main attraction is the close proximity to the excellent bike trail.

You may want to move this (or ask in the general Florida section) because it's not really that close to Tampa and people looking in this sub-forum section may not know the answers to your questions.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:00 AM

Hi Rex Diamond,

Thank you for your post, sharing your current status and suggestion.

I originally had this in the Florida forum before asking the moderator to move it over to the Tampa Bay forum. There were no replies while it was listed in the general Florida section so I thought it should be moved to Tampa Bay since Citrus County can be considered as part of the Tampa Bay area in a broader definition (Tampa Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Maybe I should think about moving it back again to Florida or even to the Ocala forums. What do you think?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:27 PM

Default Web pages

Although I stumbled across some useful web pages below, it would be great to hear reviews of the areas from residents or people in the know:
Citrus County Property Appraiser
http://www.pa.citrus.fl.us/pls/apex/f?p=100:1:0:::::
Citrus County GIS Interactive maps
Geographic Information Systems | Citrus County Board of County Commissioners
Geographic Information Systems | Citrus County Board of County Commissioners You can get information on future land use, current zoning, electric, water/sewer, flood zone, energy, building permits, property appraiser link. Just plug in the address in the search bar.
Citrus County Building Permits
Building Permit & Contractor Search
Utility Billing and Customer service
Utility Billing & Customer Service
Rolling Oaks Water District For Beverly Hills
Rolling Oaks Utilities, Inc.
Garbage collectors and recycling companies
Garbage Collectors & Recycling Companies
Transit Services
Transit Services
Citrus County School Transportation
Transportation - Citrus County School District
Find Zoned School (Zoned schools. You should also get bus stop information)
Citrus County Library
Home https://www.facebook.com/CitrusLibraries The closest one should be Central Ridge
College of Central Florida Campus
College of Central Florida - Citrus County Campus
About Beverly Hills (Appears to be a realtor’s website)
Beverly Hills Florida Real Estate For Sale, Homes In Beverly Hills Florida, Beverly Hills Homes For Sale, Beverly Hills Lot For Sale (Links to other areas as well including Citrus Springs).
YMCA
Citrus County Branch | YMCA of the Suncoast | YMCA of the Suncoast
“Free Community Directory presented and maintained by The Citrus Springs Civic Association”
Citrus Springs Florida Free Community Directory
“Citrus Springs deed restrictions” from the Citrus Springs Directory managed by the Civic Association
Citrus Springs Florida - a Deed Restricted Community - what to do before your build, buy or rent
“Citrus Springs Medical & Health Related Page” from the Citrus Springs Directory managed by the Civic Association
Citrus Springs Florida Free Community Directory - Medical & Health Related
“Links to Government Agencies Serving this Community” from the Citrus Springs Directory managed by the Civic Association
Links to Government Agencies - Citrus Springs Florida Free Community Directory
You can get an idea of the Festivals and Attractions from The Sugarmillls Woods Civic Association website. This community is in Homosassa though. Homosassa is about 30minutes/18 miles sw of Beverly Hills.
Citrus County and Sugarmill Woods Area Attractions.
Sugarmill Woods Residents Enjoy Citrus County Florida Festivals.
Citrus County Parks and Beaches
Parks - Citrus County
Local Parks in Citrus County Florida. from The Sugarmillls Woods Civic Association website
Sex Offenders information
Check the Citrus County Sheriff office. (google)
The department of Justice also has a website of sex offenders which you can find on a google search

Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM

That's a very useful list, thanks for posting that.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:21 AM

You are welcome Rex Diamond. Glad it could help. Good luck with your search. A listing came up on Trulia for Hernando Citrus Hills and I thought about you. Enjoy biking on the trail if you decide to move down.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliepauls View Post
You are welcome Rex Diamond. Glad it could help. Good luck with your search. A listing came up on Trulia for Hernando Citrus Hills and I thought about you. Enjoy biking on the trail if you decide to move down.
Thanks,
I'm going to do one of their "experience tours" probably in January where you can stay there a couple of days to get a feel for it. I also found a nice bike shop near the trail that rents bikes so we can check out the trail while we're there.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:36 PM

That's very nice to hear. Enjoy all that the area has to offer on your visit. Really glad to know you discovered a bike shop in the vicinity.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 21,360 times
the only thing citrus county is good for is letting thieves drug dealers and absentee landlords drive down real estate.i sit in my house and watch our local( across the street) as 20 people a day go in and out> add the noise ,fires>fireworks all night long> fighting it is just wonderful.also the transit system here is non existent to get a bus in citrus springs you have to call the co.hope they notify the driver and then get to the one and only stop at the so called community center which is in the middle of nowhere by the expensive houses,not a place i would wait or get off of a bus muchless let my kids or g kids use.shopping in cs consisits of dollar general,family dollar,atexico and cumberland farms.anything else you go to dunnellonwhich doesnt even have a burger king or go 20 miles to crystal river,forget eatting unless you want fast food.you ask what gives me the right to speak so.i have lived here for 13 years and watched the destruction of citrus springs.anyone who posts and disputes this is either a real estate troll stroking you so you will buy from them or the great chunk of population here who never looks out their door and only leave the airconditioning to get in their airconditioned vehicle and go to a town 20 miles away.the scchools as of last year rate very well.there is nothing for teens to do.....guessi ought to quit

Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Diamond View Post
Thanks,
I'm going to do one of their "experience tours" probably in January where you can stay there a couple of days to get a feel for it. I also found a nice bike shop near the trail that rents bikes so we can check out the trail while we're there.
Well we did the experience tour and I must say that Terra Vista (Citrus Hills) lived up to it's billing and more. The grounds were just amazing, all the amenities I could ask for and the people were friendly and happy they moved there. We rented some bikes and rode the Withlacoochee Trail and found it to be one of the most amazing bike trails we've ever ridden. It checked every box we had and more.

We'll be moving there in the fall. Good riddance to our Midwest winters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay