Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:25 AM

351 posts, read 320,757 times

Advertisements

We bought our current home FSBO and it was the smoothest deal ever. A lot of real estate agents bring too much drama to a house sale. I will sell FSBO when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
If you choose a good real estate attorney, they will have all the necessary forms required. They will also have a relationship with a title company and will be able to handle your escrow requirements.

Most reputable real estate attorneys will have a good idea of the costs you will incur for a typical sale and can give you an idea of costs up front.

RM

Old 11-14-2014, 04:21 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you choose a good real estate attorney, they will have all the necessary forms required. They will also have a relationship with a title company and will be able to handle your escrow requirements.

Most reputable real estate attorneys will have a good idea of the costs you will incur for a typical sale and can give you an idea of costs up front.

RM
Keep in mind that an attorney/lawyer will charge per hour and unless the lawyer is a licensed realtor as well, the lawyer will not be able to provide you access to a home in case you are a buyer.

If you are a seller you can use the lawyer for your contract but a lawyer, unless the lawyer is a licensed realtor won't have acces to MLS data for comparables.

Many real estate lawyers also own a title do panty which makes they collect double fees for the closing, once for their service and another time for searches, title insurance, etc...so keep in mind you may pay double without that being disclosed.

There are real estate lawyers in the area that have been reprimanded so check the Florida Bar website to see if that has happened to the lawyer of your choice.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:27 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
What's a "title do panty"?

I assume you mean title company, but that made me laugh.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:32 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Keep in mind that an attorney/lawyer will charge per hour and unless the lawyer is a licensed realtor as well, the lawyer will not be able to provide you access to a home in case you are a buyer.

If you are a seller you can use the lawyer for your contract but a lawyer, unless the lawyer is a licensed realtor won't have acces to MLS data for comparables.

Many real estate lawyers also own a title do panty which makes they collect double fees for the closing, once for their service and another time for searches, title insurance, etc...so keep in mind you may pay double without that being disclosed.

There are real estate lawyers in the area that have been reprimanded so check the Florida Bar website to see if that has happened to the lawyer of your choice.
Access to a home is typically provided either by the owner (FSBO) or the seller's agent. I don't see what a real estate attorney has to do with this. I have never had a buyer's agent refuse to show a property even though I didn't have a realtor representing me. The most recent home we purchased was one of at least five we looked at without an agent representing us. All of the homes we looked at had seller's agents who never once questioned our not having a realtor representing us.

We used online services to find comps, and cross checked them against county records for accuracy. Not difficult to do, and even easier now compared to 5-10 years ago when many of the online services didn't exist. With the properties we sold, an appraisal was done before we marketed the property so our comps were quite valid, being taken directly from the appraisal report. This is one of the reasons you should get an appraisal up front. It provides indisputable data relative to the property's value, and data one would consider more accurate than an MLS report, since it's the only thing a lender will consider for such data.

None of our attorneys had business connections with title services. Ours had title companies they recommended and we chose the one we wanted. I would not be comfortable working with an attorney that also owned a title company. No different than a realtor who owned or had an interest in a title company. A conflict of interest in my opinion.

As with any service professional, be they a real estate agent or attorney, it's your responsibility to do your due diligence before engaging them to make sure they are reputable. Just as there are attorneys who have been reprimanded, there are real estate agents who have been reprimanded....

RM

Old 11-15-2014, 07:01 AM

it is funny and sad and I think I have to throw my iPad 2 in the garbage since it keeps freezing up and changing words to the most ridiculous things and if I don't check every sentence there are the craziest things written and it is embarrassing.

Sorry but of course that was not what I planned to write.

I'm waiting for Black Friday for the surface 3 tablet and usually after hours I'm not using my computer to write so more stupid/hilarious things coming up until I buy a new tablet.

That stupid software update that I fell for for my tablet made it the worse tablet from one that was very nice.

Lame excuse but it is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
What's a "title do panty"?

I assume you mean title company, but that made me laugh.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

My iPad 2 changed it from "companies to ...do panty" and that is the weirdest I have seen so far but I have caught more ridiculous changes and it all happened after I clicked on the software updates from Apple and can't undo them and only can click on new updates and see if they help...

I will not buy any Apple product anymore since I never heard any excuse from Apple and how they will fix a good working IPad that turned into the worst working one after the update and the only thing I heard from the CEOS is that he is gay which I frankly don't care about and hope he is happy but I'm no longer happy with their product and yesterday evening almost tossed in the trash after 4 x freezing up and emails couldn't be send.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 7,132 times
UPDATE- we found a way to list on MLS without using a traditional realtor (no offense to all the great realtors out there- we just need to be able to cut the price of the house and can't if we pay full commission). It lists it on local MLS and then pushes it out to realtor.com, zillow, etc. Its basically a flat fee MLS listing service. We are offering a commission to a buyer's agent and we dropped the price $5k. We took new photos which I then spiffed up on iPhoto. I'm getting a virtual tour done. We have also printed over 100 flyers and plan to blanket the Tampa Bay area, so you may see one at your local coffee house soon. We have set up a blog and will be posting sporadically with updates about the house. I'm even considering setting up a FB and twitter feed next.

I read online about putting it on ebay.com for exposure but its $150- do you think that would be worthwhile???

We are going to give it a go at FSBO with heavy marketing for about a month and if we get no bites, then rent it out.

I know that staging would probably help, but since it is a big house, all quotes are above $4k and I just can't bring myself to pay that at this point (having carried it empty for 4 months now and spent $5k just to get it all nice and pretty for listing .

Anyway, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the awesome tips, suggestions, feedback- it has helped a lot!!!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:20 AM

459 posts, read 585,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you do a FSBO, I would highly encourage you to do the following:

2.) Decide whether or not you will pay a broker's fee. If you state "No brokers", you'll cut a number of potential sales out. For that matter, and the realtors that hang around here can comment, some brokers won't show a FSBO property out of principle. I would be interested in hearing their thoughts on this.

Under normal circumstances I would highly advise using a trusted real estate professional.

RM
Why would a broker want to show it ... and or deal with a supercharged seller?

There are a lot of properties for sale and we do not need the extra work.

FSBO means exactly that.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:41 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Why would a broker want to show it ... and or deal with a supercharged seller?

There are a lot of properties for sale and we do not need the extra work.

FSBO means exactly that.
Because it's the realtors that call the owners up dangling a so called buyer that would love to see your house...more often then not there is no such buyer it's just a ploy to meet with the owner and try to get the listing...another ploy is they would like to "preview" your listing for their client...I would say no to the preview it's another way to get face time with you to get your listing...I would allow a realtor with a real pre qualified buyer to see the house and say you are offering _% at closing to buyers agent...and forget previews...waste of your time...Why do realtors call FSBO listings? Same reason they call when they see if your current listing is going to expire and want you to re-list with them...some of them are "sharks" and while you may not need the extra work/commission many do... Oh and I would tell any realtor that doesn't respect these guidelines that you (OP) will report them to the realtor board of ethics for your county...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay