Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times

Advertisements

With Pinellas being setup in a near perfect grid, there's really no reason to take rt 19. Route 19 sucks so hard I hardly ever take it (not to mention the 2 flat tires from construction nails)

There's Belcher Rd that runs parallel, Omaha St, Alt 19 and probably a couple of other routes you can take.

19 sucks the big one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:53 AM

44 posts, read 60,118 times
If these are through/right turn lanes that drop at intersections yes they should have "appropriate signage, right arrow striping, and pavement messaging that say "Only" on the lanes. If they are auxiliary lanes, which is an additional lane with a taper added at inspections to provide right turns then only arrows are needed. I am not sure exactly where you are talking about as I am not familar with the area but I did take a quick look on google maps along us 19 in Spring Hill and it appears that are some very long right turn lanes that may give the impression that is a through lane. Some of the right turn lanes serviced not only the intersection but other driveways prior to the intersection..

The additional signage is required only when a lane being used as a through lane drops at an intersection as a turn lane. For example if US 19 has 4 through lanes northbound as it approaches from the south of Intersection A and only has 3 through lanes after intersection A (north of the intersection), that additional through lane is dropped and used as a right turn lane. That would require the additional signage.

IF the NB has the same number of through lanes north and south of Intersection A, then any additional lanes such as right or left turn lanes are auxiliary lanes and only directional arrows are required.

I hope I am not confusing everyone. Again I am not sure the exact location so my explanation is based on standard procedure not what the conditions are out where you are talking about.

I hope this helped.

Take Care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I thought that the idea was for the right lanes to be "right turn only lanes" when I was reading about the project. How many lanes (total) are there now down there? No arrows on the pavement??

Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
With Pinellas being setup in a near perfect grid, there's really no reason to take rt 19. Route 19 sucks so hard I hardly ever take it (not to mention the 2 flat tires from construction nails)

There's Belcher Rd that runs parallel, Omaha St, Alt 19 and probably a couple of other routes you can take.

19 sucks the big one
My wife takes 19 south because of all the 3 min lights on belcher and the school crossings. There is no good way to get to st.pete except 19. The state is the maker of their own problems. Lousy lighting on 19, not enough warning signs not enough speed limit signs on 19. And buses make is twice as bad. And these god forsaken long ass lights. There is no need to have a light 3 min long at 2am.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:54 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Thanks for the info. Here we have some very long right turn lanes that allow turns into driveways along the turn lane but do not always go through to the intersection. There maybe a little "bump out" along the way where the right turn lane actually ends and then picks up again on the other side of the "bump out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnphelps View Post
If these are through/right turn lanes that drop at intersections yes they should have "appropriate signage, right arrow striping, and pavement messaging that say "Only" on the lanes. If they are auxiliary lanes, which is an additional lane with a taper added at inspections to provide right turns then only arrows are needed. I am not sure exactly where you are talking about as I am not familar with the area but I did take a quick look on google maps along us 19 in Spring Hill and it appears that are some very long right turn lanes that may give the impression that is a through lane. Some of the right turn lanes serviced not only the intersection but other driveways prior to the intersection..

The additional signage is required only when a lane being used as a through lane drops at an intersection as a turn lane. For example if US 19 has 4 through lanes northbound as it approaches from the south of Intersection A and only has 3 through lanes after intersection A (north of the intersection), that additional through lane is dropped and used as a right turn lane. That would require the additional signage.

IF the NB has the same number of through lanes north and south of Intersection A, then any additional lanes such as right or left turn lanes are auxiliary lanes and only directional arrows are required.

I hope I am not confusing everyone. Again I am not sure the exact location so my explanation is based on standard procedure not what the conditions are out where you are talking about.

I hope this helped.

Take Care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay