Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:03 PM

17 posts, read 27,332 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My title says it all, but I'll outline a few things. These questions are geared for my wife and I who will be moving down soon. We will be moving from Indiana and will take any advice, hints or tips you all have. We are looking to move to the st Petersburg/largo area.

Gaining citizenship: how long does it take to get citizenship in Florida? Is the process daunting or is it pretty straight forward as long as you get your license switched over, a residence established and so forth?

Getting a job: Coming from a different state, is there anything I should know about this process? Or can you get a job where ever the same as I would in my current state? I don't want to spend time applying around if I'm going to get shut down for some reason. I say this as being a non-permanent citizen to the state trying to gain residency.

Getting my license in the state: is there anything I need to know about this? I know it needs to be done within 30 days of moving, but for a new person to the state, are there any hoops to jump through?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon! Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 05:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Getting "citizenship"? Florida is attached to the US! If you're a US citizen, all you have to do is switch your drivers license over! First get car insurance then register your car here!

A job depends on your qualifications! No one can tell if you're going to get a job here!

I'm not sure what "Hoops" you're referring to on the last one...

Old 12-18-2014, 05:25 PM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
I wouldn't move here without having jobs lined up, but that's just me.

Have you visited the area yet? I wouldn't recommend moving here until you've taken a look around. Florida has a lot of areas where nice houses and run down ghetto are intermixed.

You'll pay several hundred to register your car.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:54 PM

While I definitely appreciate the responses so far, I think some of the questions have been taken too ambiguously, whether by my fault or just skim reads/replies.

In regards to citizenship, more or less I mean residency. Its certainly a real thing. As per example, I couldn't simply move to Florida to go to school and a day later get in state tuition costs instead of out of state. There are residency requirements. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

My wife's job will be transferring. We are moving down with a nest egg sufficient enough to carry us well beyond the few weeks to a month it may take to get a job. Primarily though the job question is related to the residency question.

Several hundred to title the cars in fl huh? Definitely good info. I didn't know that and will budget accordingly.

I will be traveling down to check locations in person before moving. I've traveled to Florida and the area numerous times. There's a lot of research going into this which will lead to me visiting in person in the next couple of months to confirm my findings.

Thank you for the replies so far

Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 PM

554 posts, read 977,400 times
It takes a year to establish residency as far as instate tuition goes. Car fees etc, it cost me about 1100 to register 2 cars and a motorcycle. One thing to keep in mind, Fla has very high car insurance rates. My rate more than tripled going from Ga to Fla.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 PM

77 posts, read 108,059 times
Agreed, all insurance costs will go up. Cost us about $800 to register 2 cars and get licenses. I was told you have to get your license within 10 days if residency, but I don't know how they can tell that.
I'd plan for 6 months of savings, not just 1. We moved down in august and my husband still doesn't have a full time job.

Gas is cheap but cost of food is high.

So lots of money, but definitely worth it!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:42 PM

434 posts, read 530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Getting "citizenship"? Florida is attached to the US! If you're a US citizen, all you have to do is switch your drivers license over! First get car insurance then register your car here!
Mod edit: There is a politics forum to discuss politics.
My advice is if you're going to be dependent on your income to live with, then you better do some serious research into the job market down here and make sure you can actually get a job making what your family needs to live on. I don't even think I would move without a job. In some sectors, the pay down here is absolute rock bottom. In others, it's not so bad. You need to find out for sure what it will be for you.

Does anyone have professional licenses to worry about?

Last edited by Sunscape; 12-19-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 06:53 PM

Very interesting and great information. We will be moving down with two cars, so I'd assume our cost will be fairly similar to yours.

Our nest egg right now, all inclusive (rent, driving costs, food, and utilities) will last 7 months. That's on the assumption that we have zero income at all from day one.

In regards to the residency deal, is there any necessary reason to push for it aside from simply getting in state tuition? That was my example, but in reality my bachelors will be finished by then so school will go on hold for a bit. Can I still get jobs just like any resident etc?

Jasonarc, its just my wife and I so at the moment we don't have huge expenditures going towards children etc. Obviously in a couple of years we'd like to have a child but by then things will be settled.

In all reality, we are young and starting our lives to their fullest. We aren't looking to hit it big immediately or expecting to land a 60k+ salary immediately. We will build up from the bottom if necessary. We are well off right now but I'm not crossing my fingers upon moving. If I have to work two min wage jobs, so be it. We are just ready for change and I have a lot of work history (all positive) in solid fields. As I said, we are prepared to work from the ground up, as weve done once before already.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 PM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
I think you're really doing yourselves a disservice by not having a job lined up and a "nest egg" of a few weeks worth of money. You're far from the first person to get starry-eyed about moving to Tampa, and moving here without a job or much money. Once the rose colored glasses come off, you may find yourself in a much different place, mentally speaking. It's great that your wife has a job lined up already. Hope it can carry you guys for long enough until you find work.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
I think you're really doing yourselves a disservice by not having a job lined up and a "nest egg" of a few weeks worth of money. You're far from the first person to get starry-eyed about moving to Tampa, and moving here without a job or much money. Once the rose colored glasses come off, you may find yourself in a much different place, mentally speaking. It's great that your wife has a job lined up already. Hope it can carry you guys for long enough until you find work.

While the words of wisdom is appreciated and noted, my comment about a few weeks was not stated as only a few weeks worth of money. It's considerably more than just a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay