Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
25 minute walk
Here's what I'm getting from the Amalie to the DTSP. Just shy of SEVEN hours walking.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Amal...5573!3e2?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 AM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
best out of all tampa- and I was not fond of it- but over the rest thumbs up- I don't like cold and dreary weather-and I did not like Texas. Not into country bumpkin - cities Miami, New York, Atlanta, Chicago- even Philly- compare those

Old 01-11-2015, 10:26 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,174,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Nobody lives there, except for all of the high rise condo towers both current and under construction.

And as has been said, when Vinik's Channelside transformation is complete, there will be substantially more people, jobs, and nightlife.

My opinion about Tampa changes by the day. We've been down here for almost 4 years. I've never truly loved it here. I've gone from absolutely hating it, to tolerating it, to kind of liking it, back to tolerating it. It's easy to like it down here in the spring, and very easy to like it in winter when the rest of the country whines and complains about the weather nonstop. But that's not enough. I pretty much hate the summers here, the relentless humidity and oppressive dewpoints, the bugs. Sure I'll take it over a northeastern winter since you can still actually go out and do things, but from June to October I feel like I'm being pushed down by a wall of hot steam. I knew that going in, though, so I don't remark on it too much unless someone asks.

One thing I've realized about myself while living here is that while previously thinking the flat topography wouldn't bother me, it does. It really does. Yes there's tropical foliage abound, yes there are beautiful beaches (we went to Grand Cayman on a cruise and thought that it paled in comparison to Siesta Key beach) and scenic drives over the bay, but it's flatter than a pancake and that gets old fast.

People here are laid back overall; almost too laid back. There are a lot of young people here with absolutely no motivation to better themselves. I hope that the downtown transformation brings in more white collar jobs and people; ambitious, driven, educated people. We have enough overly tattooed, lowbrow trash to fill two cities.

But we own a brand new, beautiful house in the 'burbs and got it for relatively cheap; well under $300k. This house would easily cost upwards of $900k or more in my hometown. Nice, clean, safe place for my wife and my newborn son. We have all the amenities we need in easy reach. My job is 20 minutes away in rush hour, and I make here what I did back home. Wife makes about the same. Hard to argue with that.

As much as my like/dislike relationship with the Tampa Bay region persists, it's easy living. The climate is pretty nice for 8ish months a year, a top rated international airport when we need to go visit family, we have some world class beaches at our fingertips, our jobs are in demand here (but are in demand pretty much everywhere) and they pay us pretty well. Tampa is a remarkably unwalkable city, but that has never really bothered me personally. I've lived in walkable areas. They're cool but it's not like it's the only way to live, and many young people scream about walkability as if they do everything on foot, which is bs. I don't see too many people making grocery runs carrying 12 bags on foot. Still though, if walkability is a must have, skip Tampa, or pretty much any city in Florida outside of Miami.

If I were still single and only had my own well being to regard, considering your list, I'd be in Seattle. Perhaps Portland, but my father lives there and I'd rather have a little more space between us. Austin is cliche and overpriced at this point, and I pretty much despise most of Texas.
IMO, Seattle or the PNW is over-hyped compared with FL cities for which a lot of people complain here on CD. I spent 2 weeks up there for Christmas and while I like some things, I really dislike others. Traffic is worse than Tampa (our traffic here is a joke compared to I-5 traffic. It took me 2 hrs to go from Space Needle to Everett, 30 miles distance, rush hour on a Friday). It's getting worse every year I visit (despite light rail and bus service). Many locals in surrounding areas don't even wanna drive to Seattle, let alone live there. Then it's all the questionable characters that have moved into the city with pot having been legalized. Also, people deliberately follow UPS trucks to snatch packages delivered on front doors(per KOMO news). That's simply pathetic. Jobs are more plentiful than Tampa Bay but it's not impossible to land good paying jobs here either (persistence pays)(COL is the lowest of any major metro area on the eastern seaboard). There's no income tax like here in Seattle but housing is out of this world, so better have an above avg job there.

It has never bothered me that Tampa is flat. Actually it's less wear and tear on cars. Imagine climbing a steep road in DT Seattle when it snows or during icy conditions(scary..I have first hand experience). Tampa has plenty of bayou's, mangroves, rivers, lakes, the Bay, the Gulf to make up for being flat. I actively scuba dive, so I always evaluate FL differently than others. This state in general is kind of a jewel for North American standards in terms or its marine biodiversity and opportunities provided to people active with the sea. It's a good fit for people who like lower latitudes, warm waters and can tolerate couple months of intense heat. If the above are a deal breaker, then yes my 2nd choice would be Seattle, then Portland, then Austin(never been there but not very fond of TX).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay