Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 11:36 PM

23 posts, read 23,306 times

Advertisements

I know there are a ton of threads like this already but many of them are old and I was hoping to get some information based on my specific scenario.

My family relocated from Boston to Port St Lucie about six months ago and, while we like the suburb aspect of PSL, we miss having access to a large city nearby. Our lease is up in six months so we’ve decided to start travelling around to larger cities to see if we can find a place we like better.

We have a 3 year old son so good schools, low crime, and kid-friendly activities are extremely important. We're looking for a nice suburb type area - a nice quiet area full of single family homes with fenced in back yards. We’ll be renting for the first year and then look to buy later if we like the area.

Here’s a few more things:

• I work remotely so commuting will not be an issue.
• We’ll be looking for a 3 bed / 2 bath house with a yard (no apartments, condos or townhomes).
• Preferably not more than $1,400 per month for rent
• We would like to be able to get into Tampa in a reasonable amount of time (30-45 minutes max outside of rush hour)
• Safe area with lots of outdoor and kid friendly activities.
• Close proximity to the beach isn’t necessary. We rarely go as is.
• We’re not interested in clubs, bars, etc.

As I’ve been searching this forum I’ve seen a lot of comments saying the following neighborhoods are good:

• Land O' Lakes
• Lutz
• New Tampa
• Wesley Chapel
• Westchase
• Carrollwood
• Odessa

What are your thoughts on the above areas in comparison to what my family is looking for? Are there any other neighborhoods we should look into? We’ll be travelling to Tampa in a week or two to scope out some of the areas so any suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:02 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,307 times
Trinity or Odessa maybe.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:23 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
All places on your list would be great...If you want newer and bang for the buck...Land-o-lakes would fit your needs...As with all decisions check the local schools not only by rating but visit them before you purchase!!! Palm Harbor and Safety Harbor are in Northern Pinellas county are great too...Palm Harbor has great schools and Safety Harbor gets you to Tampa quickly...They both can be a little pricey but are well worth it in my estimation! Good luck!!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:39 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,199,952 times
Add to you list Keystone and Citrus Park while you visit West base and Carrollwood.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:32 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,340 times
Don't just look into Tampa, if you don't mind drive over the bay each day look at Pinellas County. 45 mins would put you in the heart of Pinellas by the beaches in Seminole area - good schools, lots of mid range homes with yards and nice neighborhoods low crime and good schools. Best of all the beach is right there for your 3 yr old to enjoy (free amenities!)

Old 01-19-2015, 04:38 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,340 times
45 mins will also put you nicely in the middle of Pinellas County in Seminole School district, close to beaches - 3-10 mins drive max depending on where you live and very safe, good schools, nice neighborhoods very friendly and lots of medium range homes to buy. Some to rent, look around $1500-1800 for a 3/2/2 without/with pool that is decent

Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 PM

23 posts, read 23,306 times
Excellent, thank you everyone for the suggestions. We'll definitely add a few of these to the list for when we're visiting the area.

As we'll be staying at a hotel during our trip, any suggestions on the best area to stay that will be more centralized to all of the places mentioned above?

Our initial trip will likely only be for an afternoon or two so we don't want to waste a lot of time travelling from point A to point B just because we picked a hotel that was out of the way.

Thanks again!

Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times
Of the areas you listed, there are very few hotels. There's a Holiday Inn off of Waters near Carrollwood. Try it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay