Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:21 PM

15 posts, read 17,671 times

Advertisements

Can you help me understand the Tampa area humidity? I know the best thing is to visit, but for now the only experience I have of humidity is some rain in summertime France, and the steamroom at the healthspa.

I live for the heat. I enjoy (dry) saunas at 150f for as much as an hour per day. I plan to do a lot of sitting around outside in the shade around Tampa, maybe driving in a convertible. I dont mind perspiration. Is it shorts and t-shirt weather any time of day or night year-round when youre just sitting outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 05:02 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Just come on down around July when we are stuck in a reverse west windflow. You will see what melting is all about.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:40 PM

Right the moisture from the sea affects the temperature and humidity, that is the same here. Im from an inland-hill village where the max ever-recorded temperatures in summer are close to your minimum nights - only with wind and without humidity. Before I blow $1500 on a trip would you or someone else like to elaborate?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
You know your steam room at the spa, well its like that from late June to late Sept/oct
our max temps are not high - like 90s, but it is so uncomfortable unless you are sitting, perfectly still, in a breeze under a shade,preferably by the seashore.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM

Thank you so much yes I will watch out for the crocs. I still dont believe it. Just from youtube videos most people are wearing t-shirts midwinter daytime, but they look cold. At least mild weather should encourage exercise.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:53 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGa View Post
Thank you so much yes I will watch out for the crocs. I still dont believe it. Just from youtube videos most people are wearing t-shirts midwinter daytime, but they look cold. At least mild weather should encourage exercise.
Ignore a lot of the nonsense spouted on here about Florida being unbearable in the summer.
Many of us love the weather here all year round and have no problem with the heat and humidity - heck that's why we moved here in the first place.
Just obey the same sensible rules that apply in any hot climate - avoid the midday sun,drink plenty of water,exercise early morning or evening,allow your body to adjust naturally to the weather conditions by not spending every available hour under cold air-conditioning and just enjoy the beauty of what the weather provides around you.
But most of all lose weight.Americans dig themselves into an early grave using a knife and fork and being obese is difficult when it's hot.
Seeing someone waddling out of a fast-food joint clutching a massive soda mug and complaining about the heat says it all.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Can you help me understand the Tampa area humidity? I know the best thing is to visit, but for now the only experience I have of humidity is some rain in summertime France, and the steamroom at the healthspa.

I live for the heat. I enjoy (dry) saunas at 150f for as much as an hour per day. I plan to do a lot of sitting around outside in the shade around Tampa, maybe driving in a convertible. I dont mind perspiration. Is it shorts and t-shirt weather any time of day or night year-round when youre just sitting outside?
If you like heat and humidity Florida wont disappoint for most of the year.
Wear sun screen as exposure to the sun can be dangerous.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Is it shorts and t-shirt weather any time of day or night year-round when youre just sitting outside?
I'm not sure why nobody will answer this question. No, it is not that kind of weather all year. In the winter there is some cool weather.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:10 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Ignore a lot of the nonsense spouted on here about Florida being unbearable in the summer.
Many of us love the weather here all year round and have no problem with the heat and humidity - heck that's why we moved here in the first place.
Just obey the same sensible rules that apply in any hot climate - avoid the midday sun,drink plenty of water,exercise early morning or evening,allow your body to adjust naturally to the weather conditions by not spending every available hour under cold air-conditioning and just enjoy the beauty of what the weather provides around you.
But most of all lose weight.Americans dig themselves into an early grave using a knife and fork and being obese is difficult when it's hot.
Seeing someone waddling out of a fast-food joint clutching a massive soda mug and complaining about the heat says it all.
This.

My husband and I are people who love being warm and being outside, so moving to Florida has been terrific for us. We've been here since June of 2011 and, with the exception of about 34 days, I've been in shorts and flipflops the whole time without being cold. (We don't even turn on our air conditioning until it's over 82F inside our house unless we are having guests over.) If you live for heat you are going to love it here. Blue skies, sunshine, warmth, flowering plants, and natural beauty are abundant here and seeing dolphins and bald eagles is still a thrill.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
I sit outside all summer long on my screened porch, which has two ceiling fans. Pretty much I live on the porch year-round. Even on these chilly mornings I sit out there with an afghan.

I garden a lot. In the summer, I confine my gardening to early hours before the sun hits the area I'm working in.

We bike and hike a lot too. Same deal: do it in the early AM or late PM in summers.

Golf, since we are used to walking and our local course insists on carts, we golf anytime in the summer since we get that 'wind chill' off the cart ride and there's a roof on the cart providing shade.

We lived in DC-Metro for 33 years; I would compare the FL summers to the HHH (hazy hot humid) period in DC which runs mid-July to late August. Here in FL, the worst of the summer is longer, from July 1 to Oct. 1. At least that's how our first summer in FL struck us.

We stayed the whole summer this year and mostly enjoyed it. I will say by September, it gets tiresome...monotonous. This year we will vacation in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: