Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,197,419 times

Advertisements

Should be interesting. Keep on Buildin', Tampa Bay!

Tampa region stars in scary sinkhole film, 'Buried Alive' | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,920,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Awesome!!! Thx for the notification. I set my DVR for it, however it comes up Sinkholes: Swallowed Alive.....instead of "Buried Alive". On DirecTV. Hope I got the right one.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:33 PM

I think the documentary bears watching and I'm glad they are publicizing the issue. That guy getting buried alive as he was trying to get a good night's sleep, that was just horrific to me. Not to mention the feeble attempt to rescue/recover him.

Today it's just some poor ******* in a run-down neighborhood. Tomorrow it could be your neighbor, or even you. Nothing will really be done, however, until some subdivision is completely condemned because of this issue, and people on the hook for a mortgage on a home that is completely unlivable. All it would take is one good drought. Then you'll see people crying in their beer about how could this happen, didn't the builder check for this, doesn't the govmint have laws to prevent this, boo-hoo-hoo. At the very least, insurance costs will skyrocket, and that's if there's even coverage still available for this.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I think the documentary bears watching and I'm glad they are publicizing the issue. That guy getting buried alive as he was trying to get a good night's sleep, that was just horrific to me. Not to mention the feeble attempt to rescue/recover him.

Today it's just some poor ******* in a run-down neighborhood. Tomorrow it could be your neighbor, or even you. Nothing will really be done, however, until some subdivision is completely condemned because of this issue, and people on the hook for a mortgage on a home that is completely unlivable. All it would take is one good drought. Then you'll see people crying in their beer about how could this happen, didn't the builder check for this, doesn't the govmint have laws to prevent this, boo-hoo-hoo. At the very least, insurance costs will skyrocket, and that's if there's even coverage still available for this.
Sinkholes were a concern for us, but we picked an area which does not seem to have any. Having said that, our house will be the first one to be swallowed up. As I am always home, I can only hope I go quick. I cannot imagine the fear the guy who was swallowed up must have felt, if he did not go quickly.

But we also realize that most any place has something which could get you at any moment, so we try not to think about it. We certainly would not choose to live in an area well known for "real" sinkholes.

I hope the show is based on facts, not on hype.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Sinkholes were a concern for us, but we picked an area which does not seem to have any. Having said that, our house will be the first one to be swallowed up. As I am always home, I can only hope I go quick. I cannot imagine the fear the guy who was swallowed up must have felt, if he did not go quickly.

But we also realize that most any place has something which could get you at any moment, so we try not to think about it. We certainly would not choose to live in an area well known for "real" sinkholes.

I hope the show is based on facts, not on hype.
Much of Florida is shaped like a shallow bowl, is what I read somewhere. There are various areas here in West Central Florida that are "ridges" and I'm pretty sure you're in one of those areas and that's a good thing. But I was surprise to hear about the sinkhole problems in the Dunedin area.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Much of Florida is shaped like a shallow bowl, is what I read somewhere. There are various areas here in West Central Florida that are "ridges" and I'm pretty sure you're in one of those areas and that's a good thing. But I was surprise to hear about the sinkhole problems in the Dunedin area.
Me too. A surprising amount west of 19.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 PM

14,964 posts, read 12,178,709 times
Quote:
I found this "Florida sinkhole map" that shows the sinkholes that have occurred within the last few years in each county, their location and relative size. Might give you some indication as to how prone a given area might be to sinkholes.

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties

Old 01-23-2015, 08:48 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,107,183 times
And, intrepid Floridians, what do you think causes sinkholes?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I found this "Florida sinkhole map" that shows the sinkholes that have occurred within the last few years in each county, their location and relative size. Might give you some indication as to how prone a given area might be to sinkholes.

Sinkhole Maps of Florida Counties
Thanks, TL. Good info.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:59 PM

216 posts, read 438,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
And, intrepid Floridians, what do you think causes sinkholes?
They are caused by the crumbling and caving of the "swiss cheese" like limestone supporting the ground.

In 2010, the strawberry farmers in the Plant City area pumped groundwater like never before, to protect the berries from an unprecedented freeze. Many sinkholes resulted, including the one that swallowed the lady in her backyard as she was gardening (she was saved by calling her husband, and then tossing her phone out of the hole).

Woman rescued after she's swallowed by sinkhole | wtsp.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay