Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
When you have 24/7 sunshine while being stuck in a reverse west windflow with no rain for weeks at a time it's hell. When we are in a southeast windflow then i am pretty happy as insane dewpoints and humidity are down some and at least i stand a tiny chance of getting rain.
Heat and humidity don't bother me one bit. I spent some time living in Thailand where it can get REALLY intense and quickly learned from the locals how to deal with.Their advice was to spend less time with A/C rather than more.
The human body is quick to adapt to natural surroundings and A/C merely confuses the body temperature.
Sweat is the natural way to cool us down not artificially cold air blown at hurricane speed inside an hermetically sealed environment.
Try to avail of natural cooling breezes or use fans to help them through your homes but resist the temptation to take cover behind then A/C until the evening.
But most of all LOSE WEIGHT.
Carrying a backpack of fat on the human frame simply makes the body's job of staying cool that much harder.
Just go out for a brisk walk when it's hot and humid and you'll soon start sweating off the pounds.
Remember, you will never,ever defeat nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I am 6.2 185lbs. I don't think i need to lose weight. I need a new A/C.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:09 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Heat and humidity don't bother me one bit. I spent some time living in Thailand where it can get REALLY intense and quickly learned from the locals how to deal with.Their advice was to spend less time with A/C rather than more.
The human body is quick to adapt to natural surroundings and A/C merely confuses the body temperature.
Sweat is the natural way to cool us down not artificially cold air blown at hurricane speed inside an hermetically sealed environment.
Try to avail of natural cooling breezes or use fans to help them through your homes but resist the temptation to take cover behind then A/C until the evening.
But most of all LOSE WEIGHT.
Carrying a backpack of fat on the human frame simply makes the body's job of staying cool that much harder.
Just go out for a brisk walk when it's hot and humid and you'll soon start sweating off the pounds.
Remember, you will never,ever defeat nature.
That sounds absolutely miserable. Who wants to be sweaty and smelly with their clothes sticking to their wet skin?

Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
That sounds absolutely miserable. Who wants to be sweaty and smelly with their clothes sticking to their wet skin?
My guess would be the people who love tropical climates and move there to enjoy the weather. My guess also is that they may wear light clothing and as little as possible.......in some places no clothing.

Happy Thanksgiving NLF. I hope all is going well with you.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Another clueless post.
How about when ya posted this back on the 13th?
It's nippy out there this morning. Got jeans and a sweatshirt on now. Looking at the thermostat and pondering switching it to heat, but trying to resist. We will have a little warm up for a few days and then back into the cold. Multiple nights in the 40's here and days in the 60's......according to the professional meteorologists, with degrees and computers and all.

How did that work out for ya?

Old 11-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Tens of millions of people all over the world in hot and humid climates who carry out their daily working
lives perfectly admirably without feeling the need to rush from air-conditioned house to air-conditiond car to air-conditioned office to air-conditioned shop to rush back to air-conditioned house to spray vast quantities of chemicals to kill perfectly harmless bugs all in a desperate attempt to live what is considered a normal life.
And the thing is they DON'T sweat because they allow their bodies to perform in hot temperatures in just the way the Good Lord intended.
The lives we lead in Florida are not normal. Even if you fly a few hundred miles South to the Caribbean you'll see people living perfectly happily in very similar weather conditions to ours.
You've got to understand nature not try to overwhelm it.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Tens of millions of people all over the world in hot and humid climates who carry out their daily working
lives perfectly admirably without feeling the need to rush from air-conditioned house to air-conditiond car to air-conditioned office to air-conditioned shop to rush back to air-conditioned house to spray vast quantities of chemicals to kill perfectly harmless bugs all in a desperate attempt to live what is considered a normal life.
And the thing is they DON'T sweat because they allow their bodies to perform in hot temperatures in just the way the Good Lord intended.
The lives we lead in Florida are not normal. Even if you fly a few hundred miles South to the Caribbean you'll see people living perfectly happily in very similar weather conditions to ours.
You've got to understand nature not try to overwhelm it.
A lot of the places you're referring to don't even have running water so it stands to reason they would not have a luxury like air conditioning that many of us take for granted. I'll stick to being cool and dry and you can be hot and clammy if that's what you like.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
A lot of the places you're referring to don't even have running water so it stands to reason they would not have a luxury like air conditioning that many of us take for granted. I'll stick to being cool and dry and you can be hot and clammy if that's what you like.
Do you think no one likes tropical climates? Have you ever watched House Hunters or other type shows where people are looking for tropical (warm and humid) climates to move to? Seriously. I am just wondering of you think no one likes it or if you are just reaffirming that you do not like it.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
The Caribbean doesn't have running water ? Or air-con ?
Man, you need to get out more.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:51 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times
I spent some time in western Costa Rica, very rural and poor but there were a lot of communities full of Europeans with very high end homes, they loved the heat, humidity and tropical rural terrain and doesn't done serious change to accomplish it.

Goes back to all things, people have different likes/dislikes and to think yours is the only right is, well, ignorant.

Life is short, why is anyone living where they don't want to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay