Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:22 AM

88 posts, read 375,765 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I live in Michigan and have been to the Tampa Bay area and I love it there, especially Pinellas county. My wife and I (early/mid-30's) are considering moving there. I know, you're thinking, "god not another northerner". Hey, I'm friendly, have a Master's degree and want to start a software company. I'd be coming with something to add.

Anyhow...
When I was there in June a few years ago, it was 90-95, but I found the temperatures tolerable because it seemed like the humidity was "blown off" by the breeze from the Gulf. So, I had no problems even when I spent 3 hours walking around downtown St. Pete one afternoon. I've been on the tropical east coast (not in FL) and found the humidity almost unbearable. My first question is: is that logical? Does it match with others' experience regarding Tampa Bay vs. Orlando or Jacksonville?

Also, what has been the experience with hurricanes in the past couple of years? I was there before the rash of hurricanes a couple of years ago. Perhaps, most important to everyday life: what is hurricane insurance like in the Tampa Bay area, and who is likely to have to carry it?

Thank you for any help or constructive comments you can provide!
- Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM

409 posts, read 1,504,875 times
First off, the humidity here is much worse than almost anywhere in the nation. Tampa Bay is considered a subtropical climate where as just south of here is considered fully tropical climate. The dew points are consistantly over 70 degrees with 90-95 air temp for around 8 months out of the year.

We hae been lucky with hurricanes. When you move here you are risking it along with the rest of us. I do not have a source but I have heard that Tampa Bay ranks directly behind New Orleans for most vulnerable cities when it comes to hurricanes. That directly has to do with the geography of the area, the bay and storm surge. The difference is that we have been extremely lucky so far. But odds are we will get one sooner or later. Maybe next year, maybe 100 years. Thats nature!

I do not have an exact figure on insurance because I rent a condo. I do know from friends that the insurance is still really high, but getting better. It all depends on where you live. For example, if you live on the west side of US 19 in Pasco county, you are in a flood zone putting you in a very high insurance bracket. I know someone who lives there with a $150,000 home claiming he pays $5000 a year in insurance. If you live a few miles south of there near Alderman Rd in Palm Harbor, the elevation is 80 ft in some places putting you on the lower end for the area.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElphinKnight View Post
Hi all,
I live in Michigan and have been to the Tampa Bay area and I love it there, especially Pinellas county. My wife and I (early/mid-30's) are considering moving there. I know, you're thinking, "god not another northerner". Hey, I'm friendly, have a Master's degree and want to start a software company. I'd be coming with something to add.

Anyhow...
When I was there in June a few years ago, it was 90-95, but I found the temperatures tolerable because it seemed like the humidity was "blown off" by the breeze from the Gulf. So, I had no problems even when I spent 3 hours walking around downtown St. Pete one afternoon. I've been on the tropical east coast (not in FL) and found the humidity almost unbearable. My first question is: is that logical? Does it match with others' experience regarding Tampa Bay vs. Orlando or Jacksonville?

Also, what has been the experience with hurricanes in the past couple of years? I was there before the rash of hurricanes a couple of years ago. Perhaps, most important to everyday life: what is hurricane insurance like in the Tampa Bay area, and who is likely to have to carry it?

Thank you for any help or constructive comments you can provide!
- Brandon

It is very possible that you felt the constant breezes that occur in the summers from the West over Pinellas County(they collide with the East Coast breezes and form huge thunderstorms over our area in the late afternoons during the summer months)..I live a block from Tampa Bay and always feel a nice breeze in the summer months//I had family that lvied in Orlando, and it felt twice as hot there for some reason, not sure about Jacksonville, but Fort Lauderdale also gets breezes along the Ocean. Humidity is a fact of life here in Florida, mostly June through September is when its at its worst, but to me, very tolerable, I like the heat.

Regarding Hurricanes, its not if but when for Tampa Bay, but you are more than likely to be struck by lightning or hit by a car than have a direct hit from a Category 3 or higher come striaght through the Bay..i'll take my chances and be prepared..with hurricanes you can be prepared(unlike fires, tornadoes, earthquakes....).

I guess it depends what evacuation zone you reside in, and also if you are in a flodd zone. I am in the worst possible position, Zone A for evacuations(anything over a Cat 1 hurricane), and also in a Flood Zone(im only 6 feet above sea level)..I was only able to get Citizens the last two years, and currenlty pay $2100/yr for a 1600 sq foot and 220k assesed property built in 1948 in South Tampa. I also pay the govt flood insurance of $980/yr on top of that.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:08 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Hey, former neighbor! I'm from Ypsi.

Anyway, I've found that the humidity is pretty bad - and, imo, it seems to be getting worse, as is the heat. It also seems that the heat is sticking around a bit longer than in past years. I live in St. Pete, so I haven't had to deal with hurricanes (thank God!), just the hurricane-force winds, or tropical storms, etc. I don't have hurricane insurance, though I've heard it is pricey. Flood insurance is nearly impossible to get.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:25 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Hi all,
When I was there in June a few years ago, it was 90-95, but I found the temperatures tolerable because it seemed like the humidity was "blown off" by the breeze from the Gulf. So, I had no problems even when I spent 3 hours walking around downtown St. Pete one afternoon.
Also, what has been the experience with hurricanes in the past couple of years? I was there before the rash of hurricanes a couple of years ago.

Here's the deal on summers: they unabashedly suck.
That having been said, up North y'all have three or four months out of the year when the weather is nasty and you mostly stay inside. Here, we do too, but instead of December through March it's June-September. Instead of high heating bills in the winter,we have high AC in the summer. (Do yourself a favor, plant shade trees.)
As for hurricanes...well...honestly I was very brave and lackadaisical about the whole thing for years. Elena, the no-name storm...eh. Piece of cake. Then I spent 2004 getting smacked by Charley, Frances, and Jeanne, all in the space of six weeks, and frankly, there were days when Xanax was my friend. I do NOT ever want to go through that again. But living here, I know there's always a pretty good chance. I highly recommend finding a house on the same part of the grid as a fire house or hospital. Ninety degrees and no AC for three or more days is not fun.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:51 PM

6 posts, read 18,131 times
Tampa the most humid area of the USA your dead wrong as it often worse in orlando

Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Watching the northeast USA get hammered makes thankful that we're in a warm climate area during the winter and early spring months......this delayed travel d/t weather seems to happen every year.....

Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
Former YOOPER here!

Yes, we are vulnerable for Hurricanes and Tropical Storms. I did weather and oceanography for 26+ years in the Navy. We are somewhat protected here from the smaller storms. Being on the Westside of the Peninsula protects us a lot from the Storm Surge.

We were pretty wet two years ago with Debbie (I belive it was Debbie). New Port Richey and that part of the area had some good flooding. I haven't been here long enough (more than 3+ years) to really provide anything more than that. Pinnellas County is certainly more vulnerable and insurance is going up. There is a hold on the price increase, but we are expecting it next year. (SOMETHING TO CERTAINLY THINK ABOUT FOR YOUR BUSINESS).

We do have a warm breeze here in the Summer. Orlando is worse because of almost no breeze. Jacksonville is milder (relatively speaking from TPA or MCO) and they have a much longer Not So Hot and Humid Season. I lived there for three years.

Very different feel in Jax than here I have to say. More hustle and bustle of a bigger city in Jax. Beach vibe different, but also very nice. Having Ponte Vedra there with the TPC brings a lot.

WE NEED SOME NICE JOBS HERE FOR OUR FOLKS - SURE HOPE YOU DECIDE TO BRING YOUR TALENTS.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:44 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
When I was there in June a few years ago, it was 90-95, but I found the temperatures tolerable because it seemed like the humidity was "blown off" by the breeze from the Gulf. So, I had no problems even when I spent 3 hours walking around downtown St. Pete one afternoon. I've been on the tropical east coast (not in FL) and found the humidity almost unbearable. My first question is: is that logical?
Yes it is logical. The temps where we live, in the eastern part of Palm Harbor 3.5 miles from the gulf coast as the crow flies, are only usually 90 degrees +/- 2 degrees in the summer and with the daily seabreeze it feels even less than that. Very tolerable.....actually very enjoyable for summer weather. I would imagine further inland it would feel much hotter.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
And take into account the extreme weather in the rest of the country at at various times of the year. The weather here is mild compared to most other places. Yeah, its hot in the summer, our proximity to the equator causes that, but for the rest of the year the weather is mild and calm most of the time. Up north they can depend on horrible winter weather year after year. I'll take our summers over brutal winters any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Watching the northeast USA get hammered makes thankful that we're in a warm climate area during the winter and early spring months......this delayed travel d/t weather seems to happen every year.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay