U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:16 PM

4,496 posts, read 3,568,850 times

Advertisements

Looking for good newspapers/sources for Tampa Bay area in anticipation of move. One thing to note: move could put me over by Lakewood Ranch/Bradenton area, not sure how much of a disconnect there is with that.

I know that unlike the Orlando area major paper scene, where the option is the Sentinel, that in Tampa Bay the two major papers are the Times and the Tribune? It's my understanding that the Times is Liberal and the Tribune is more conservative politically. I won't disclose my political views on here, and don't want to create debate, but to me, that issue is rather insignificant anyways, particularly for a paper I am generally going to for local news.

If there is a paper (or paper website), that is particularly strong at organizing national and global news stories, and does so without spinning the ones that get released, that would be helpful to be aware of. I'm guessing which way the editorial columns of both papers go.

Also, is there some type of weekly alternative paper in the Tampa Bay area? Coming from Orlando, Orlando Weekly has a pretty devoted following, and it seems to me like while Tampa doesn't really have a ton of "alternativeness", outside of Ybor City, St. Petersburg is probably one of the more pervasively hipster places in the Sun Belt. I am also aware, that any weekly alternative paper is likely to be very strongly liberal leaning. I do not care about that either. The simple thing I hope to gain from a paper are (A) insights into local and community development projects, politics, food etc. (ie, what's happening), and a source that doesn't take the mindset of "What bleeds, leads", if I wanted that, I would look at a crime map) (B) A paper that potentially has a decent number of links to national/global news) and (C) Some paper that chronicles local events and activities going on in the community).

I guess since I am going to be on the bottom side of the bay, how are the papers down there in comparison? Everyone seems to have a copy of the Lakewood Ranch Herald, and that is a paper that seems to not be big on covering unique local events, at least from the limited amount I have seen. How are Bradenton's and Sarasota's papers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 12:33 AM

792 posts, read 2,078,487 times
When it comes to the circulation numbers, it's not even close. The Tampa Bay Times is the largest newspaper in Florida and covers a much larger portion of the Tampa Bay area than the Tribune.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 AM

27,798 posts, read 27,684,108 times
IMO, The Times is a better paper but some have said the paper leans to the left.

I currently get the hardcopy of the Tribune just because I was able to get a cheap subscription - but also get the Times electronically through a free subscription courtesy of the Straz Performing Arts.

Sports writing is way better in the Times, imo x100.

If you live in Tampa you probably get more entertainment and "things to do" with the Trib.

Read this thread - lots of comments about both.....
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...-collapse.html

Last edited by BucFan; 02-10-2015 at 04:50 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 AM

4,496 posts, read 3,568,850 times
Top 100 USA Newspapers | Paperboy's List of the Most Popular US Newspapers

Very, very interesting to look at these stats... Denver, Cleveland and Tampa overperform, while places like Miami, Philadelphia, Detroit, Boston and Atlanta underperform, at least as far as readership is concerned in relation to metro area/per-capita. I wonder how these stats would be affected by website clicks/etc. Does Tampa Bay Times draw readership from around the state? Because the fact they have double of the Miami Metro Area's largest paper, despite having half the population, is staggering. TBT seems to overperform the most on readership, I'm actually quite surprised they have more than The Plain Dealer which has consistently been cited as one of the more "old money" established papers as far as getting regional news.

Fair enough. Do they both have reasonably good websites? And is there some type of think that is hyperlocal in Tampa, similar to Orlando Weekly? Or does the Tribune serve that purpose?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 PM

177 posts, read 119,330 times
Also, is there some type of weekly alternative paper in the Tampa Bay area? Coming from Orlando, Orlando Weekly has a pretty devoted following, and it seems to me like while Tampa doesn't really have a ton of "alternativeness", outside of Ybor City, St. Petersburg is probably one of the more pervasively hipster places in the Sun Belt. I am also aware, that any weekly alternative paper is likely to be very strongly liberal leaning. I do not care about that either. The simple thing I hope to gain from a paper are (A) insights into local and community development projects, politics, food etc. (ie, what's happening), and a source that doesn't take the mindset of "What bleeds, leads", if I wanted that, I would look at a crime map) (B) A paper that potentially has a decent number of links to national/global news) and (C) Some paper that chronicles local events and activities going on in the community).

====================

Not necessarily alternative but check out Creative Loafing for local entertainment, events, food etc. Online and it publishes a paper edition every Thursday:

Creative Loafing Tampa

Last edited by NYmikef; 02-10-2015 at 10:07 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 PM

6,167 posts, read 3,696,913 times
Going back to when the Times was the St Pete Times it has always been extremely leftist.

In Pinellas there are the Beacon weeklies which have different editions for different communities. You can read them online free.

We only take the Sunday Trib, and watch the rest on the tube.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:39 AM

3,046 posts, read 3,079,332 times
Pretty soon there will be no newspaper like we know today. It will all be online the only way newspapers make money is by selling advertisement and more and more companies are going to the www to sell their product.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 AM
KPB

1,497 posts, read 1,067,835 times
I like the TBT newspaper, its free.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,632,133 times
regardless of the political leanings of any media, the Tampa Bay Times is a pulitzer prize winning newspaper. You can choose to read or not read the oped columns but they do carry right wing journalist articles too. They also have Canadian bits and pieces and some international. One day I hope everyone will realize that there is a world outside of the USA and it affects everyone (example outsourcing/conflict/ebola/oil/finance). The only thing that drives me crazy is the huge amount of advertising and inserts in the paper - but they have to pay to keep it going somehow. Online is killing the printed news.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:27 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,390,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

We only take the Sunday Trib, and watch the rest on the tube.
I'm sorry for your brainwashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay