Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:44 PM

734 posts, read 920,162 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing the gloating.

If anything, I get tired of the morons who bemoan how Florida pays lower across the board, or that all jobs are crap down here, both of which are bs.

I'm in IT down here, and I make more than I did in DC. Not basic IT (aka - not a cart pusher). Wife is a nurse. She makes more as well.

If you look at the unemployment rates by industry/profession, the UE rate for IT is substantially lower than the generic state-wide advertised rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 08:58 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
What you make is just part of the job picture, but I'm sure you know it ... benefits, time spent on job, on call time, work atmosphere. Add them all together to get the whole picture. And I'd be willing to be if you looked hard enough, you could find a job in DC with your current skill set making more than you make now in Tampa. Your experience as well as the OP are strictly anecdotal as I've known many IT folk in Tampa who relocated from IT-centric cities and make less than they made previously made.

And I challenge you to find a post where someone said ALL professions pay less in Florida. If you do, it's probably from one of those who think median household income is indicative of quality of life.

Last edited by Sunscape; 02-15-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 AM

734 posts, read 920,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
And I challenge you to find a post where someone said ALL professions pay less in Florida. If you do, it's probably from one of those morons who think median household income is indicative of quality of life.
So we're on the same page then. You could've just said that.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:51 AM

473 posts, read 543,783 times
Thank you for all the positive comments, the negative ones I just disregard

To clarify, we are very thankful that this is working out. My wife is in the insurance industry and is making a lateral move, essentially the same job she doing here in Buffalo for 28% more with very comparable benefits.

She will need to start in a month, so it will be a bit tricky with her in Tampa and the rest of the family in Buffalo until the summer.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
Thank you for all the positive comments, the negative ones I just disregard

To clarify, we are very thankful that this is working out. My wife is in the insurance industry and is making a lateral move, essentially the same job she doing here in Buffalo for 28% more with very comparable benefits.

She will need to start in a month, so it will be a bit tricky with her in Tampa and the rest of the family in Buffalo until the summer.
Congratulations on making the first step a reality, Rudy. Re your last comment. I moved down first in December of 2013. My wife did not like waiting to retire, but, she did and moved here May 1st, 2014.

We're lovin' Apollo Beach!

If I can help, please ask.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:30 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
Good luck, glad it has worked out so far.. I dont think its hard to land a job iif your willing to truly work, I am of the mind set that sometimes you have to take a hit to get your foot in the door and show them what you can do.. It has always worked for me and my wife.. I guess if your overly picky or want the same job as every one else (IT or similiar) then it may be challenging.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:08 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I'd still caution those who are looking to move to the area to have something in place before heading down this way. I've been posting here for nearly 7 yrs and have lost count the number of posters who've posted that they've moved here and are miserable because they can't find employment that suits their needs. Sure the recession is over, but I think the 6% quoted is misleading as people have either given up or have taken menial work to pay the bills, or have fallen off the books altogether. You can call people like myself a naysayer - no problem, but I'd still give potential transplants the same advice to have a job lined up before heading down here - this isn't a land of plenty as some seem to think it is.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:58 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'd still caution those who are looking to move to the area to have something in place before heading down this way. I've been posting here for nearly 7 yrs and have lost count the number of posters who've posted that they've moved here and are miserable because they can't find employment that suits their needs. Sure the recession is over, but I think the 6% quoted is misleading as people have either given up or have taken menial work to pay the bills, or have fallen off the books altogether. You can call people like myself a naysayer - no problem, but I'd still give potential transplants the same advice to have a job lined up before heading down here - this isn't a land of plenty as some seem to think it is.
Exactly, those who post the U3 unemployment rate as gospel really don't have a clue ... take a look at U6.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
As some of you know I have been on this forum for about year as my wife and I have been planning to relocate to Tampa this summer after my daughter graduates high school.

Well things just got very real, my wife had landed a job on only her second interview. She literally had an offer the day after the interview and it pays 28% more than her current salary. Just want give a shout out to all the negative naysayers that said how terrible the job market is and how difficult it would be to find a job.
This proves otherwise.
Awesome! Congrats!

Just goes to show you that not all of the negative stereotypes are true.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:28 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Our son is in finance and he got a 25% increase when he moved down, so it is possible.

Everyone should be nothing but happy for you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: