U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 38,013 times

Advertisements

usf to lakeland it take me 35-1.15 i have been doing this for 3 years the choke point is on i-4 is 301 to mango sometime you will have to take the back way or you you sitting in traffic all the way to lakeland or tampa it does not matter that bad it get if theres a any crash or somebody on the side of the road it does not matter with side its on people will slow down to look at it. it turns into a parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:30 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,974,026 times
I've made the drive from Lakeland Linder Airport to TPA many, many times. That is a commute I would not wish on anyone. Driving on I-4 is a nightmare and it gets worse at malfunction junction(it's even worse now with all the construction on I-275). On a good day it's about 40-45 minutes. I've made the drive several times were it was well over an hour. Bring a good book to read if there is a wreck.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:30 PM

7,310 posts, read 13,154,316 times
It seems odd that here we are in 2015, and there isn't even as much as a bus from Lakeland to Tampa. Other than Greyhound a few times a day. You would think there would at least. be a commuter type bus system put in place years ago. A park and ride at least to downtown Tampa in the am and pm. So without any options means everyone is in a car on one freeway I-4. Which results in all the severe traffic problems, people are talking about on this forum. Seems rather sad. The Tampa Bay area which Lakeland is really a part of, is a sizeable populated area. What is the reason this is not dealth with, and how long does the area think they can get away with not dealing with it? I'm glad I won't have to make such a commute, other than when I feel like going to Tampa.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:46 PM

989 posts, read 1,576,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It seems odd that here we are in 2015, and there isn't even as much as a bus from Lakeland to Tampa. Other than Greyhound a few times a day. You would think there would at least. be a commuter type bus system put in place years ago. A park and ride at least to downtown Tampa in the am and pm. So without any options means everyone is in a car on one freeway I-4. Which results in all the severe traffic problems, people are talking about on this forum. Seems rather sad. The Tampa Bay area which Lakeland is really a part of, is a sizeable populated area. What is the reason this is not dealth with, and how long does the area think they can get away with not dealing with it? I'm glad I won't have to make such a commute, other than when I feel like going to Tampa.
For the same reason as with all other areas that do not provide a bus service - there isn't sufficient market demand and, like all public transport, would only survive with massive subsidies for what is ultimately a niche product.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:02 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,032,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The real question is, why does every city in central Florida feel as though they should be called the "greater Tampa Bay area?"

Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 PM

7,310 posts, read 13,154,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The real question is, why does every city in central Florida feel as though they should be called the "greater Tampa Bay area?"

Well at least for Lakeland which is 100,000 in population. Quite a few people live in Lakeland but work or go to school in Tampa, or vice versa. So at least for them the ties make them a part of it. After all Tampa is not very far away. Lakeland is really an exurb if not a suburb of Tampa. I can't speak of the other Central Fla locations.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:04 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,781,624 times
Thank god everyone takes the parking lot called I-4. Makes my drives down 60 soooo much easier when heading to Lakeland or winter haven. Polk county is my easiest drive from Hillsborough.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,974,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Thank god everyone takes the parking lot called I-4. Makes my drives down 60 soooo much easier when heading to Lakeland or winter haven. Polk county is my easiest drive from Hillsborough.
Yeah, that's great if you're not going to the airport from Lakeland. 60 can also get very congested in Brandon, too.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 AM

49 posts, read 53,738 times
I would be an hour at least. To each his own I guess. I would rather pay rent and drive very little vs Pay little and drive a lot. I tried it once back home in Ohio and the 2+ hours (total) spent in traffic caught up to me to the point where I was too tired when I got home and wanted to eat and then just sleep, it felt like 5 days a week I had no me time. Short-Term, sure. I couldn't handle it long term though, respect to the long commuters who do it.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:36 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,781,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Yeah, that's great if you're not going to the airport from Lakeland. 60 can also get very congested in Brandon, too.
You do realize that I-4 and 60 practically meet around 50th st. You can find congestion most anyplace in the tampa bay area. I was backed up this morning on 275 going to the airport towards town and country. Leaving the westchase area, I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic all the way back to 275. As far as congestion let me just say "I-4/75" that would be brake lights for as long as your eye's can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or