U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:12 PM

473 posts, read 450,771 times

Advertisements

My wife just got a job in Tampa near the airport and we need to find her a place to stay before the family all comes down. We have a place rent free in Lakeland and are wondering how bad the commute is and whether that would be worth the hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,819,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
My wife just got a job in Tampa near the airport and we need to find her a place to stay before the family all comes down. We have a place rent free in Lakeland and are wondering how bad the commute is and whether that would be worth the hassle.
Congrats to your wife! The commute will be minimum one hour during rush hours, and will not be pleasant at all, sorry to say. We used to live in Lakeland and hubby commuted to downtown Tampa. On a good day it was at LEAST 50 minutes. I-4 is horrible.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:27 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,027,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Congrats to your wife! The commute will be minimum one hour during rush hours, and will not be pleasant at all, sorry to say. We used to live in Lakeland and hubby commuted to downtown Tampa. On a good day it was at LEAST 50 minutes. I-4 is horrible.
Yesterday at 4:30 pm, the girlfriend and I left Carrollwood to go to Orlando. We went up Fletcher, which was abnormally busy, and then got on 75, which was also ridiculously busy, then to 4, which was ALSO ridiculously busy. It took us a good two hours in stop and go traffic to get to the first Lakeland exit. Luckily the interstate cleared up in Lakeland, but it got bad again in Auburndale. Left at 4:30, got to Orlando at around 8.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:03 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,513,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Left at 4:30, got to Orlando at around 8.
Could that be holiday weekend traffic?
You left on Friday evening rush, Saturday is Valentine's Day, and Monday is President's Day holiday.
Also, lots of snowbird refugees are probably here right now.

Or is it often that bad?

To the OP, rent-free is nice, she should be willing to get up early and get home late for that.

Tell her I said so.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:34 PM
KPB

1,497 posts, read 1,068,220 times
I live in Lakeland, it takes me 45min.(hour w/traffic) to get to the Veterans Expwy & Hillsborough Ave. which is just a few min. past the airport.
It's not that bad of a drive, before moving to Lakeland I lived in Westchase and it took about the same amount of time during rush hour.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,027,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Could that be holiday weekend traffic?
You left on Friday evening rush, Saturday is Valentine's Day, and Monday is President's Day holiday.
Also, lots of snowbird refugees are probably here right now.

Or is it often that bad?
I think it had to do more with rush hour, then the fair letting out, then there must have been an accident somewhere on the road. I've never had a commute to Orlando that was THAT bad.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:16 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,857,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I think it had to do more with rush hour, then the fair letting out, then there must have been an accident somewhere on the road. I've never had a commute to Orlando that was THAT bad.
That happened to us several times...except we took Bearss instead of Fletcher...

Old 02-15-2015, 04:54 AM

473 posts, read 450,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
To the OP, rent-free is nice, she should be willing to get up early and get home late for that.

Tell her I said so.

Rent free may definitely out way the 45-60 min commute.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:02 AM

7,297 posts, read 13,143,766 times
To each their own but I think for many people. Rent Free would be the decision maker.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:22 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,632,484 times
If its short time go with rent free
Maybe use after work hours to drive the areas you might finally relocate to (recommend you rent for a year rather than putting all your real estate goodies in one basket) and buy. That way you avoid a little of the rush hour (home) traffic at least.
Congratulations and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or