U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,770 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating from ND to Tampa. We have been to Tampa before and loved it and are ready to leave the frigid wasteland and move to the sunshine. My husband is in the computer field and would be working near the Tampa airport. We are coming down next week to check out the area and to look for some apartments.

Can anyone give any good advice on what areas to check out for apartments or fun neighborhoods in general? Our price range would be 900-1400 and we would like a two bedroom. We are in our late twenties, no kids, one small dog. I would prefer to live near the beach but close enough to work that my husband doesn't have to commute more than 45 minutes or so. We are both very active and enjoy outdoor and water activities as well as good food and going out and about on occasion. However, safety is a concern, I want to be able to feel comfortable wandering around on my own. I am also a yoga instructor so any suggestions on good yoga studios would be awesome! Thanks!

P.S. Any places we shouldn't miss on our trip? Restaurants, beaches, museums, activities?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:20 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,084,126 times
South Tampa. You're welcome.

I'm a strictly Tampa guy, so the answers I give will all be within the city of Tampa and not the greater Tampa Bay Area (which includes everything from Jacksonville to Miami).
Restaurants: Tampa is known as the top craft beer market in the US, so it would be a shame if you missed out. Tampa Bay Brewing Company is my favorite, not just for the beer, but also for the food. Order yourself a red eye ale and "the bomb." You're welcome. Also check out The Refinery, a restaurant that people seem to rave about. I haven't had the chance to eat here yet. Though I don't care for it at all, people do seem to love Ulele. I think the real selling point of this place is their wine selection. I can't, in good conscience, suggest you order the bbq pork though. Don't do that to yourself.

Beaches: The only real nice beach I've found in Tampa is Picnic Island. I have a video showcasing it here: http://youtu.be/qDlguw_LO6M

Museums: A must visit is the History of Ybor Museum. It's located right off of 8th Ave. Ybor in general is a fun little spot to visit, though at night it can get kind of sketchy. If you do want to check it out at night, be sure to stick to the more crowded areas and don't wonder too far outside. Ybor City is awesome, but it's surrounded by the ghettos. While in Ybor, it's important to check out the cigar shops that still hand roll all of their cigars. It will give you a good sense of where Tampa started and why we have such a big Cuban population now.

As for Activities, I have an entire channel set up for this kind of thing. Check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh6...5x2iGa8rLqVuwA If you still have questions or would like to see something featured, let me know!

Old 02-15-2015, 10:43 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,894,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
South Tampa. You're welcome.

I'm a strictly Tampa guy, so the answers I give will all be within the city of Tampa and not the greater Tampa Bay Area (which includes everything from Jacksonville to Miami).
Restaurants: Tampa is known as the top craft beer market in the US, so it would be a shame if you missed out. Tampa Bay Brewing Company is my favorite, not just for the beer, but also for the food. Order yourself a red eye ale and "the bomb." You're welcome. Also check out The Refinery, a restaurant that people seem to rave about. I haven't had the chance to eat here yet. Though I don't care for it at all, people do seem to love Ulele. I think the real selling point of this place is their wine selection. I can't, in good conscience, suggest you order the bbq pork though. Don't do that to yourself.

Beaches: The only real nice beach I've found in Tampa is Picnic Island. I have a video showcasing it here: http://youtu.be/qDlguw_LO6M

Museums: A must visit is the History of Ybor Museum. It's located right off of 8th Ave. Ybor in general is a fun little spot to visit, though at night it can get kind of sketchy. If you do want to check it out at night, be sure to stick to the more crowded areas and don't wonder too far outside. Ybor City is awesome, but it's surrounded by the ghettos. While in Ybor, it's important to check out the cigar shops that still hand roll all of their cigars. It will give you a good sense of where Tampa started and why we have such a big Cuban population now.

As for Activities, I have an entire channel set up for this kind of thing. Check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh6...5x2iGa8rLqVuwA If you still have questions or would like to see something featured, let me know!
The "Greater Tampa Bay does NOT include Jax and Miami! LOLOL That was really funny!

You can't live by the beach and commute anywhere within 45 minutes...That commute is a lot longer when you add traffic into it.

If he works by the airport, you can live in Westchase just fine. Close enough to shopping/dining and the beaches...

Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,326,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
The "Greater Tampa Bay does NOT include Jax and Miami! LOLOL That was really funny!

You can't live by the beach and commute anywhere within 45 minutes...That commute is a lot longer when you add traffic into it.

If he works by the airport, you can live in Westchase just fine. Close enough to shopping/dining and the beaches...
How do people get these things so wrong?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:45 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,084,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Thus why I suggested South Tampa. You'll be within 20 mins of the beach (with traffic) and 20 minutes of work. The airport area is a really inconvenient place for housing. There's a lot of overpriced apartments in the area, but that's about it. Westchase is nice, but it's not somewhere I'd live if I want to actually get out and enjoy Tampa. It's built up so you never really have to leave Westchase to get anything you want. It's also really far from downtown, Ybor, and Seminole Heights (where most of Tampa's entertainment is). Outside of that, living close to downtown puts you close to Curtis Hixon Park, where they host Yoga In The Park, Rock The Park, and movies in the park (I can't remember the fancy name they gave it). You will be close to Bayshore, the longest continuous sidewalk in the world. Being close to downtown also puts you close to the Tampa Riverwalk. South Tampa has SoHo which is known for their restaurants and bars (Joe Maddon, former manager of the Rays owns a restaurant and wine bar down there). You will also be within driving distance of Seminole Heights, which is one of my personal favorite spots in Tampa right now.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
How do people get these things so wrong?
By sitting in traffic bumper to bumper counting minutes!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Their budget listed above reads $900 to $1400 which won't get them much in south Tampa....unless they meant $900,000 and $1,400,000....

Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM

514 posts, read 847,619 times
There are a lot of apartments in St. Pete in the gateway area. That will put them less then 10 miles to the airport and less then 10 miles to the beaches.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,770 times
Thanks for all the great ideas and info. We will be sure to check out some of the places during our trip next week. I wish our budget was 1.4 million!! I would like to stay in the $1400 per month range but we would go up to a little over 2k a month for rent if we needed too. We will rent to start out with until we get to the know the areas and then decide where we would like to buy. I think this trip will be helpful in giving us a taste of different areas.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakmm View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas and info. We will be sure to check out some of the places during our trip next week. I wish our budget was 1.4 million!! I would like to stay in the $1400 per month range but we would go up to a little over 2k a month for rent if we needed too. We will rent to start out with until we get to the know the areas and then decide where we would like to buy. I think this trip will be helpful in giving us a taste of different areas.
$1400 is low; maybe find something to rent in Carrollwood, Citrus Park, Town & Country...All have easy access to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or