Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 PM

55 posts, read 62,287 times

Advertisements

We love Shores Acres. In 15 years, there had only been twice that we had to wait a few hours to get to our canal home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 PM

94 posts, read 154,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorenovate View Post
I'm looking for an older home to fix up as a vacation rental and future retirement home for me and my spouse. We'd eventually like to have a boat and our own boat dock, so we plan to buy on a canal. We are looking at some homes in Coquina Key, some on treasure lane/sun isle lane near Riviera bay and also in Shore Acres. We won't have a mortgage so I'm not immediately concerned about flood insurance - although I do worry how that will affect resale down the road. I know the best thing is to spend a few weeks in each area, but we don't have that time due to our work schedules. What are the pros and cons of those areas? I've read that near Coquina Key can be a little sketchy and I have reviewed crime maps for each of these areas.

Or should we forget about having our own boat dock and focus on a neighborhood like old northeast St. Pete and renovate there?

Ok, I just had both my knees replaced and been down for a few days, I hope op reads this.

We bought a 1955 house on 39av so (the road to the key) 1 yr ago and spent 4 mo there this winter, I live in Alaska the rest of the year. We own a deeded dock across 39av. I boat every day,sail/power. Big Bayou is old Florida at its best. Tampa bay is at my door step, We love it and would not trade for three times the money, Heres the deal on the south side, You drive through the HOOD to get to CC, The center of CC is a lot of rentals with people you may not wish to live next to. ANY WERE on the water on CC is great. There are some rules, do not let the moms and kids out after dark for a walk. IT IS A CITY! I have had no problems to date its just you need to be smart, the houses across the street are $500 on the water the ones 2blks inland are $35,000. IMO best money spent on water in St. Pete. P.S. My wife and I grew up on the south side, left in 1975 for Alaska we knew the score,

Old 07-21-2015, 09:57 PM

Waterside is a really good investment, I boat past them every day and in season people are out at the pool and waveing having a good time, we just are not Condo People, you can buy water front CC for $350/450 ON CC There are still some old org 1960 bricks for 1/2 of that, Just try and find something in this price range anywere in Fla.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,496,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Which is which though? Isn't the entire complex Coquina Key Waterside? thanks.
No, the North and South communities are completely separate and noticeably different.
South is mainly owner/occupier or snowbird lettings whereas North has far more permanent rentals and is not as well kept as the South which has a very energetic HOA.
Plus a good bar and several pools.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan adventurer View Post
Waterside is a really good investment, I boat past them every day and in season people are out at the pool and waveing having a good time, we just are not Condo People, you can buy water front CC for $350/450 ON CC There are still some old org 1960 bricks for 1/2 of that, Just try and find something in this price range anywere in Fla.
Yup,we like to wave at the boats passing by.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:39 PM

Roscoe, So can you scam me a way to get into the bar? I not had any luck with it yet, You like to fish or sail?

Old 07-22-2015, 03:59 PM

25 posts, read 169,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorenovate View Post
I'm looking for an older home to fix up as a vacation rental and future retirement home for me and my spouse. We'd eventually like to have a boat and our own boat dock, so we plan to buy on a canal. We are looking at some homes in Coquina Key, some on treasure lane/sun isle lane near Riviera bay and also in Shore Acres. We won't have a mortgage so I'm not immediately concerned about flood insurance - although I do worry how that will affect resale down the road. I know the best thing is to spend a few weeks in each area, but we don't have that time due to our work schedules. What are the pros and cons of those areas? I've read that near Coquina Key can be a little sketchy and I have reviewed crime maps for each of these areas.

Or should we forget about having our own boat dock and focus on a neighborhood like old northeast St. Pete and renovate there?

No doubt, Coquina Key is a more downscale area itself, embedded in a more downscale area. Actually, the entirety of the south side of st pete is like that. it flows from historic race segregation, which thankfully has ameliorated greatly over the years but still has strong lingering effects. in fact, much of the south side south of lake maggiore is, to my mind, very successfully integrated racially. a strong middle and working class of both/all races. I'm thinking of Lakewood estates, the area between 54th ave and Pinellas point drive for example. it's north of Lake Maggiore that still gets tagged as "ghetto", especially west of 34th street. but back to your question.

the fact is that there is nice waterfront all the way around the southern part of st pete. the waterfront just south of coquina key is great. also there are a bunch of waterfront homes on canals around 28-31st street south, at the very southern point. also in the pink streets, but that's probably pricier. there are some spectacular houses on Pinellas point drive west of 22nd street but those are million-plus.

there's also the maximo and broadwater neighborhoods in the west, south and north of maximo marina respectively.

you might also look at the waterfront in gulfport.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan adventurer View Post
Roscoe, So can you scam me a way to get into the bar? I not had any luck with it yet, You like to fish or sail?
Neither I'm afraid.
But John who runs the bar is a pretty accommodating fellow.Why not tell him you're looking around the place with a view to buy and want to pick a few brains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay