Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 8,284 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I made an account just to ask this question. I'm in the Navy and I'm PCS'ing from Norfolk to Macdill in July. I'm married with a child so I'm looking for a family friendly area, kind of "cookie cutter" neighborhood. I've read a lot of the other forums and based on what I've gathered, I've narrowed my search down to two areas.

South Tampa- Decent area, close to base and past the toll, but homes are a lot more expensive. Looking at homes south of Kennedy Blvd. and north of Gandy.

Riverview- Good family area, bigger and nicer houses for less money, downside is ~30 minute drive to base and thats if I take the toll road. Not sure if there are any bad areas in Riverview, but I've been looking at the areas just west of Riverview.

Brandon seems to have nice homes but I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the area. We'll be living here for close to five years, so we're also trying to decide if buying would be a better option than renting. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Base housing looks very nice, new - and the base is safe. Why not there? Short commute - no rush hour traffic to deal with - no front gate backups every day?

Old 02-24-2015, 06:24 PM

We've been on the waiting list since the beginning of October and have only moved two spots, so we'll definitely have to at least rent out in town for a little while. We only qualify for a 2 bed 1 bath, 1000 sq. ft. base house, which for all of my E-5 BAH doesn't seem quite worth it.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:37 PM

I believe there's a shuttle bus from Riverview and/or Brandon that might relieve some of the drive/tolls. I could be wrong - it was running some years ago. Something to consider if that works w/ your schedule.

The commute from Brando is probably 30 mins (I drive to MacDill from points south near Apollo Beach and I get there consisently in 40 mins without rush hour or front gate traffic). Riverview is probably 30-40 mins.

I really can't recommend much - in my couple of decades in military, I always tried to find housing relatively close to post as much as I would have to drive to and from. But having a family, you probably want them close to some amenities, nice schools, etc. so you'll have to be more selective.

Maybe someone can chime in - there are several new "cookie cutter" communities long US 301 Riverview, and near Big Bend Road and US 301......I occasionally see AF personnel in uniform around the grocery stores there - I figure there many more who live in those subdivisions.

Owning a home is the American Dream - but here in FLA the costs of ownership can get high w/ insurance costs, flood zones, repairs, etc etc.....I didn't own until I was fully out of the military. I didn't want to worry about selling the place afterwards or owning rental property if I couldn't sell and had to leave it due to PCS......

Old 02-24-2015, 06:40 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
You could still find houses in S.Tampa that are not top-dollar. Have you looked at realtor.com yet?

Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Of the areas listed, I'd definitely check South Tampa, and I would avoid Brandon at all costs.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:05 PM

BucFan - There is a shuttle that stills runs from the Riverview to Macdill, which could be an option for free transportation.

My son won't be old enough for any schools while we are stationed at Macdill, my main priority is just making sure they are in a safe location.

I felt the same way when it comes to purchasing a home, I wanted to wait until I retired and not have to worry about reselling/renting when I PCS again. The only thing that got me thinking about buying while we were in Tampa is how long we will be there and how much money we could potentially save in the long run vs renting. Also, with all the military in the area it doesn't seem like it would be to hard to resell or rent it out. It would be our first home purchase, and we keep flip flopping on what we'd rather do. We would also use the VA loan if we do decide to purchase.

KPB- I've only really been looking on zillow for the last couple of months.

MAniacTHW- Are there any areas in South Tampa that should be avoided? Most bases aren't very nice right outside of the gate (at least naval bases), how is it just outside of Macdill? There is a new townhome development just a mile off base called Schooner Cove that we've been looking at.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:09 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
Fishhawk Ranch, Mirabay, Waterset all market to Military families but I'm not sure how much your budget is ? Newland Communities | Our Communities

Old 02-24-2015, 09:07 PM

I haven't looked into Mirabay or Waterset at all. I've heard great things about FishHawk but I also know it can be a 40 minute commute with no traffic. I'm trying not to go past 25-30 minutes tops.

I've been looking at homes in the ranges of $180-230,000 if we decide to buy and $1000-1500 if we choose to rent.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 AM

Is there any way to contact your MacDill unit and talk to anyone from your work to see where your workmates live -- might give you a lead on good communities? I'd be curious to know if anyone commutes over the Gandy Bridge from Pinellas County as well.

Immediately out the front gate of MacDill is your typical lower economic housing and businesses that you usually see at most military installations - pawn shops, auto repair joints, fast food, convenience stores, etc.....but the Bayshore Blvd gate leads to some condo communities and older homes but probably very expensive. I'd say you'd be lucky to find anything in your budget there.

I wouldn't completely rule out Brandon. There are neighborhoods off of Providence (Progress Village), Bloomingdale that would satisfy your needs. There are a ton of places along US 301 Riverview going up as we speak. Definitely cookie cutter. Little space in between houses (but that's how things are in new FLA communities). If you buy, be careful about CDD and/or HOA fees as has been discussed here on the message board. Will add to your monthly/yearly ownership costs. Some fees can be hefty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay