Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 15,176 times

Advertisements

hello all looking for a wheelchair accessible apt in the Tampa area any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 06:43 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTIMMY View Post
hello all looking for a wheelchair accessible apt in the Tampa area any advice would be appreciated.
Check out Tampa Bay Online, there are a lot of good resources there... also, google it, if I can say that here, use whatever your criteria is in the open line... best of luck, T&C

Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Check out Rocky Creek Retirement community. They are mobile homes made into apts. They have some that are wheelchair accessible. I delivered Meals on Wheels there. The ppl who live there are all very nice, mostly senior citizens. They also have transportation, activities and a cafeteria for those that are mobile. They keep up the area and there are even aides who come by if you need assistance.

I am not sure of what the cost if for an apt now but they were very reasonable.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 AM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Default most corporate

owned complexes have to be ADA compliant but I've found some problems here. I can walk short distances and I've had complexes refuse to move a handicapped parking sign or add one even tho they are required to do so. That being said, it's pretty flat here so if you can find a first floor unit, you should be fine. You're less likely to find a private rental that allows you access easily. Landlords are required to make units accessible. I think they are allowed to charge the tenant but they can't deny you the right to adaptability. Check out the Americans With Disabilities web site for a list of rights and responsibilities.
Some complexes are elevator accessible. Other access lilke low counters, large baths might be difficult. Go to
Apartments for rent: Apartment Guide, your free apartment finder
If you click on Tampa Bay it will give you the whole region. The ones that are compliant will have the "handicapped" symbol in their ads and you can call to check what that means in the particular complex.

You don't mention your age so I don't know if the suggestions of "retirement" communities is right for you. With a huge senior population here, most are pretty strict on the age limits and they have waiting lists.
People here are not too great towards those of us with mobility issues. I get glares and rudeness in the supermarkets when I use the riding buggy. They seem to think I'm slowing them down or something. In every other place I've lived, including up North, people go out of their way to offer assistance.
crossing streets will be a challenge so pick your location carefully if you plan to use your wheels to go anywhere away from your building. I

Quote:

Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 15,176 times
thanks for all the responses and by the way i am 40 yrs young

Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM

367 posts, read 1,687,082 times
Self-Reliance Home Page (http://www.self-reliance.org/index.html - broken link)

this is a Tampa based organization - good luck to you

Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Unhappy I knew it

I'm older than you but not yet eligible for a senior place either. I don't use a chair but I can't do steps. Why do they assume we're geezers
I think I mentioned that Pinellas isn't very friendly to the disabled. I was at the local college one day and I was using a scooter because I had to get around a lot of territory. Thank goodness I CAN walk becasue I coundn't manipulate the "handicapped accessible" restroom door from that thing I had to park and walk in.
Check things carefully when you come down and develop a thick hide.
Quote:
thanks for all the responses and by the way i am 40 yrs young

Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
I'm older than you but not yet eligible for a senior place either. I don't use a chair but I can't do steps. Why do they assume we're geezers
I think I mentioned that Pinellas isn't very friendly to the disabled. I was at the local college one day and I was using a scooter because I had to get around a lot of territory. Thank goodness I CAN walk becasue I coundn't manipulate the "handicapped accessible" restroom door from that thing I had to park and walk in.
Check things carefully when you come down and develop a thick hide.
Jessie, since you're disabled, why aren't you eligible to live in an elderly apartment? Here the apartments are for 55 plus OR disabled. Is it not the same way down there?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
I can't speak law wise but in Rocky Creek it is not just 55 plus, That is why I mentioned it. I had one person I delivered to that had MS and used a scooter.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I can't speak law wise but in Rocky Creek it is not just 55 plus, That is why I mentioned it. I had one person I delivered to that had MS and used a scooter.
OK, that's good to know. I was just curious because I don't even know of any apartments here that are strictly for elderly. I believe all of them include the disabled, too. Not that I plan on being disabled cause it'd be a really rough life, but you just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: