Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,186 times

Advertisements

I've been researching FL and its many places to live over the past few weeks. I'll be flying into Tampa and staying in Ft. myers for my last spring break in March with my gf and two friends. I have a friend in sarasota where he loves it.

After comparing jobs markets, cost of living, commute times, and other various things to my liking i have ruled out southern fl, including naples, ft myers...etc.

I come from a small town in NH by the capitol and used to commuting 20-30min to shop/work etc. I came upon dunedin,fl on this forum...checked it out....small town with great people and events along with the beaches....resonable appt rates (from the 4 i found on forrent.com) and my gf and i can find a job in the city 20-30 min away from what i've been reading.

Bascially everyone has praised this place. I love it becasue of the small town factor, events and views it offers. Only draw back people say are the sink holes...but i'll take that over major crime and high appt rates also even a crappy job market anyday.

i'm 23 and so is my gf who is working for a steady strong investment company. I will be graduating college in may with a steady job afterwards where i can transfer anywhere in the us.

Anyone my age, or older have any advice or thoughts on my choices of moving to this town?

and i'm also looking at plam harbor right now...but how far is into the city...dunedin..?

Take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 05:41 AM

367 posts, read 1,687,479 times
I'm not sure exactly which city you are referring to, where the work is. If it's Tampa, then getting from Palm Harbor or Dunedin into Tampa is not too bad, usual rush hour traffic, but you can go across either Courtney Cambell bridge or SR580 and Hillsborough into the Airport area and then to wherever. I'd say you'll be a good 30 mins to get there, maybe longer on bad days.
Palm Harbor and Dunedin are both nice locations, very family orientated. I am not sure what kind of nightlife you will find - I think you will have to go to out a little to get to that, but there are always a few bars and the odd club here and there. Jack Willies at Oldsmar is fun and that's not too far away. I'm too out of that younger scene to be able to advise on that, but not so old that I would feel out of place should I go there one night!
The job market may look strong, but like so many other regions, it's got a few worries with the current economy, but that I guess could be the same story anywere. However, with a market here heavily reliant on tourism and with a very large service industry sector, there could be a downturn. Of course I am not an economist, just an observer of previous cycles up and down. If you are with a secure company you should be fine. Pinelllas county is a wonderful place to live, don't overlook St Pete (not the beach) downtown. The nightlife is good there, nice places to walk, loads of parks and things, the waterfront area is nice, plenty of sporting activities, outdoor market, art events and so on. It's handy for I-275 into Tampa too. Good luck on wherever you choose to go.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 AM

849 posts, read 3,527,969 times
Wink which city?

Tampa isn't so easy but the directions Spainbrit gave to get there will take you thru a part of the county where there are good job possibilities. About half the distance and a third fo the time to d/t Tampa. Franklin Templeton to name one. They're technically in Clearwater. Look at the map. Pinellas Co. is a peninsula. Dunedin is on the west coast obviously and Tampa bay is est. the crossings are long, heavily trafficked during rush hour and fog in the winter months makes it worse. From Dunedin or PH, the ride just to cross the Bay is about 20 mi. then you have to get downtown to anything "financial."
St. Pete is a wonderful suggestion from Spainbrit and there are more financial institutions downtown here than Tampa city. Commute would be a little better.
Sinkholes shouldn't worry you. They can happen anywhere but mostly occur where there is lots of buildup stressing the aquifers that support the surface. Established areas are less prone IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLounge84 View Post
I've been researching FL and its many places to live over the past few weeks. I'll be flying into Tampa and staying in Ft. myers for my last spring break in March with my gf and two friends. I have a friend in sarasota where he loves it.

After comparing jobs markets, cost of living, commute times, and other various things to my liking i have ruled out southern fl, including naples, ft myers...etc.

I come from a small town in NH by the capitol and used to commuting 20-30min to shop/work etc. I came upon dunedin,fl on this forum...checked it out....small town with great people and events along with the beaches....resonable appt rates (from the 4 i found on forrent.com) and my gf and i can find a job in the city 20-30 min away from what i've been reading.

Bascially everyone has praised this place. I love it becasue of the small town factor, events and views it offers. Only draw back people say are the sink holes...but i'll take that over major crime and high appt rates also even a crappy job market anyday.

i'm 23 and so is my gf who is working for a steady strong investment company. I will be graduating college in may with a steady job afterwards where i can transfer anywhere in the us.

Anyone my age, or older have any advice or thoughts on my choices of moving to this town?

and i'm also looking at plam harbor right now...but how far is into the city...dunedin..?

Take care

Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,324 times
I am 23 years old as well. I just moved to Palm Harbor not too long ago to be closer to my job. I actually live on the Palm Harbor/Dunedin line and about 2 miles north of downtown Dunedin. I never thought I would say this but I LOVE IT here. Downtown Dunedin has a couple bars and clubs that are fun to go to. Ybor and downtown St. Pete are within driving distance. Crime is low and best of all it is a really nice area over here. People take care of their property and lawns and it is really close to Clearwater Beach and Honeymoon Island. To be honest I have never heard of anybody have a problem with sinkholes around here. I have heard that they are of more concern in Pasco than anywhere else in the bay area. There is also a lot of recreational activities if you are in to that. The Pinellas trail runs through west Pinellas County for bikers and roller bladers. There is a place to rent jet skis near Honeymoon Island. There is windsurfing and kayaks there as well. They also have plenty of county parks around here with nature trails and such. Also, Dunedin has lots of good restaurants. We really have it all over here. I had the option to move to West Tampa or my place in Palm Harbor. I was tempted by West Tampa because I felt there would be a younger crowd over there and it would be closer to nightlife and have a more diverse demographic. I am so glad I chose to stay in Palm Harbor. Unlike the rest of Palm Harbor, my condo complex is quite diverse. I will be staying! I hope this helps and I hope you love it here as much as I do.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,186 times
Great thanks for the help. hey do you know any good appt complexes around plam habor/dunedin. I've found a few on rent.com..... whats the name of your condo complex.

-brian

Old 02-02-2008, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 16,422 times
Default I'm 25 and love Dunedin

It's a great town! Cool bars and downtown area- safe, can walk from bar to bar. Kind of hippie/yuppie, but nice people. Check out my previous posts, as I was just talking about how cool the downtown area in Dunedin is. Pinellas Trail- 20-something mile fitness trail cuts right through here.

Also check out downtown St Pete, around Central Ave and surrounding neighborhood- like Dunedin but with more going on including museums, cool restaurants, bars with character. As with any larger town, crime, homeless people, etc.

Both towns have some culture, arts, bars, nightlife, St. Pete is just a Dunedin on steroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay