Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 PM

17 posts, read 15,556 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get my first motorcycle here within the next few months. Id'e love to be riding shortly after my birthday in May. The only experience I will have is that I will be taking the Basic Riders course in about a month or so. I already have a helmet and will need to acquire a jacket, riding boots, gloves and maybe some Kevlar jeans. But after that Id'e like to find someone in the area willing to help me learn to ride. I've watched about every video imaginable between " How to" and crash videos to help learn what not to do. But that only helps so much vs actually spending time on a bike. I would like to know and learn as much as possible before getting my first bike.

Also it would be nice to know some people I could befriend and possibly ride together after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:08 PM

554 posts, read 977,224 times
The basic rider course will teach you what you need to know to ride safe. To become a good rider, you just need to put some miles on. Learning to ride from other riders who are not instructors is not really a good idea. I am sure I can teach you my 30yrs worth of bad habits!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 PM

17 posts, read 15,556 times
Hehe, fair enough. I have enough common sense to know what would be breaking the law and what would not be in my better interest to do. Also, as I stated, I would like to get to know some other friendly riders out there. So that I would have some people to ride with on occasion.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:34 AM

325 posts, read 441,607 times
If you learn to ride on the street in Pinellas County, ride a lot, and live for 3 years, I would consider you having learned to be a Good Motorcycle Rider. After over 30 years of riding I can tell my Wife 'look....that red car is going to pull out in front of us' and she says...how did you know. That is from the 6th sense you MUST develop to stay safe and ride surrounded by the Morons who are operating automobiles today. ESPECIALLY in Pinellas.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
What kind of bike do you envision getting? Sport Bike,Touring,cruiser?
Lots of clubs in the area,find one that fits your riding style.
http://motorcycle.meetup.com/cities/us/fl/tampa/

Be extra vigilant when riding to the idiot who will make a left turn in front of you as you are approaching an intersection. i swear bikers seem to be invisible to car drivers.

Last edited by jambo101; 03-05-2015 at 06:51 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 07:19 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
My partner and I rode for 30+ years but sold our bikes when we left AZ where we lived in a very sparsely populated area (could drive on back roads for 60 miles and never see another vehicle. My partner had bikes in DC-Metro too, but not as much fun due to aggressive and idiot drivers and the huge traffic volume.

To be a successful m/c rider, you will become paranoid of cars, as well you should!

Never an accident for either of us, but a few too many close calls. Yes, cars will not 'see' you and turn left in front of you.

We discussed buying new bikes here, but decided not to due to the number of elderly drivers in this area and their ability to 'see' m/c's, frankly.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
After riding an assortment of bikes over a period of 40 years i finally gave it up a few years ago due to age and too many close calls, bought one of these as a replacement.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...a/DSCF2541.jpg

Old 03-05-2015, 01:55 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,791 times
First, visit this site - Sport-Touring.Net - Beginner's Garage - there's tons of stuff to help you out as a new rider or answer your questions.

Then, visit The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan - ADVrider - where you can find a lot of local riders.

To get you on the road and having fun, I'd suggest the Tag-O-Rama, or TOR games in this site, particularly Central sandbox tag-o-Rama - ADVrider . I had a ball playing it when I lived there!

Best of luck to you and keep the shiny side up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: