Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 11:33 AM

46 posts, read 171,483 times

Advertisements

I hope to move to Tampa in August with my daughter, a USF sophomore.
Need a 3-bedroom 2+bath close enough to campus for her commute, but far enough away that I am not surrounded by college kids.
A water view would be great.
I have 2 large dogs.
Would need access to a pool.

Any suggestions appreciated. Willing to do a house or a condo.

Thanks for your help!

Bee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 12:53 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times
Default Check out

Do you want to rent or buy? Westshore area for nice apt. complexes. A house on the water is $$$$$ It is Tampa and she can commute but traffic is a mess. It'll be 30 min. across town but to avoid the campus crowd that'll be the trade off. Maybe Safety Harbor or Oldsmar.
Complexes are pretty tolerant of pets but charge hefty fees, not deposits for the privilege. House and condo owners are less so. Also an upscale complex will have a pool. If you can forgo the water view getting out into New Tampa several miles from campus, almost into Wesley Chapel would work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee gee View Post
I hope to move to Tampa in August with my daughter, a USF sophomore.
Need a 3-bedroom 2+bath close enough to campus for her commute, but far enough away that I am not surrounded by college kids.
A water view would be great.
I have 2 large dogs.
Would need access to a pool.

Any suggestions appreciated. Willing to do a house or a condo.

Thanks for your help!

Bee

Old 01-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Thanks. From what I've researched on the Web, New Tampa looks like a winner to me. We want to rent until we decide where we really want to live in Florida. My husband will be tele-commuting and working occasionally in Pa. while I get our residency established.
I guess any waterfront would be too tough of a commute for the kid. She's willing to live with her old lady for a year then get back to her sorority house or her own apt.
I'm sick of the cold but hate the heat without a pool, so I need that more than a water view. That can come later when the kid lives back on or near campus.
Thanks so much and keep me posted with any other good ideas. We are heading down in two weeks to visit and maybe explore some options. I LOVE the town, and especially love Clearwater Beach, but that would be an impossible commute.
Thanks again,
BBBBBBBBBrrrrrrrenda

Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Thanks. From what I've researched on the Web, New Tampa looks like a winner to me. We want to rent until we decide where we really want to live in Florida. My husband will be tele-commuting and working occasionally in Pa. while I get our residency established.
I guess any waterfront would be too tough of a commute for the kid. She's willing to live with her old lady for a year then get back to her sorority house or her own apt.
I'm sick of the cold but hate the heat without a pool, so I need that more than a water view. That can come later when the kid lives back on or near campus.
Thanks so much and keep me posted with any other good ideas. We are heading down in two weeks to visit and maybe explore some options. I LOVE the town, and especially love Clearwater Beach, but that would be an impossible commute.
Thanks again,
BBBBBBBBBrrrrrrrenda
Living near the water really isn't possible if you want to live close to campus. I work at USF and live in Tampa Palms. The commute to campus is about 15 minutes-45 minutes depending on traffic. You will find the commute from New Tampa to be about 20 minutes-1 hour depending on traffic (if she isn't going during rush hour, she'll be fine). I would probably recommend Tampa Palms or New Tampa. How much are you looking to spend?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Been doing research and I'm now quite fond of the Seminole Heights area and those adorable Craftsman cottages and have seen quite a few nice ones for rent. I'll do the public pool if I have to.

I found some great rentals on Craig's list and would be willing to spend up to $1,500 a month for something safe and clean and fun.

I'm open to any suggestions. We are heading there next weekend for a long weekend and I'm eager to scout some places out.

Thanks again,
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrenda

Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,219 times
Default no, you won't do the public pool

but there must be a Y nearby. The Jewish Community Center is ope to all and has an outdoor pool. Oh I think USF's fabulous rec. complex has both indoor/outdoor and I think with your daughter being a student you can get a membership too. Seminole Hgts. is cute but 2 women alone I'm not sure , check carefully some of the bordering areas ares so-so. I'd be hesitant at night. Other places might not have as much character but if you want safe...Someone else said they were checking out St. Croix near the U. I used to live over that way and it is nice. Stay East of Bruce B. Downs. Check it out. It's a bit pricey so it gets a lot of the doctoral fellows and hospital staff, not typical undergrads.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Been doing research and I'm now quite fond of the Seminole Heights area and those adorable Craftsman cottages and have seen quite a few nice ones for rent. I'll do the public pool if I have to.

I found some great rentals on Craig's list and would be willing to spend up to $1,500 a month for something safe and clean and fun.

I'm open to any suggestions. We are heading there next weekend for a long weekend and I'm eager to scout some places out.

Thanks again,
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrenda

Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks so much. We are heading down next weekend and will do some scouting.
And yes, the two women alone is something I need to consider. Even though my two big doggies are coming with us, they won't be able to help us if we get mugged going into the house.
Someone suggested I stay West of Atlantic and north of Sligh. Don't know if that was good advice or not, but I now will check the areas you told me about.
Thanks so much,
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrenda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay