Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
...what do you call people who don't believe in science, are afraid of knowledge and hate intelligence.
He calls them "normal people (having a) healthy reaction...towards dysfunctional behavior".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:02 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Not evil just ignorant
Why is it ignorant to believe that that evolution is real and applies to humans? I think it's just common sense.

Quote:
idk what do you call people who don't believe in science, are afraid of knowledge and hate intelligence.
liberals, Democrats, sociology professors, AIDS activists, etc

Old 03-13-2015, 05:09 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Why is it ignorant to believe that that evolution is real and applies to humans? I think it's just common sense.

liberals, Democrats, sociology professors, AIDS activists, etc
If we were to restrict knowledge to things that were common sense we all be still hunting and gathering. Out of curiosity, because I don't think I heard this one, I see liberals, democrats, but aids activists do you not believe in Aids, do you think it's a punishment, do you not believe in viruses in general so if I get the flu it's because i didn't go church. Sociology that's also odd, you are calling gay people dysfunctional, the fact the you think that homosexuality is dysfunctional is social construct, homosexuality has been around forever widely accepted, it has been in our recent history that social constructs were formed to think that is dysfunctional which you seen to think yet sociology not so much, it's bit odd.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Rays have no business getting involved w/ the gay marriage subject, do they? What the hell does baseball have to do with gay marriage. What's in it for them?
Maybe they want to support other pitchers and catchers.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Good for them! Probably did it because the NFL fumbled so badly on another social issue, domestic violence. And the NBA did the right thing too....firing that racist owner.

If people hold athletes up to their kids as role models, I think it's only right for the teams and leagues to take stands on important social issues, too.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Good for them! Probably did it because the NFL fumbled so badly on another social issue, domestic violence. And the NBA did the right thing too....firing that racist owner.

If people hold athletes up to their kids as role models, I think it's only right for the teams and leagues to take stands on important social issues, too.
As far as I know there's not a single MLBer who has come out - you know they're there (statistically).......until that happens, anything else is just a PR move.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Maybe they want to support other pitchers and catchers.
Or simply that a good man stepped up to the plate.

Cute reference but I wonder what are the sports analogies of the various sex positioning of heterosexuals (and I use the word in its cold, clinical sense). Or are the mechanics of heterosexuality simply not as interesting to everyone? Rhetorical question does not require answering.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:08 AM

To whomever repped me with the comment "I read your post just cause I like Dylan... you got a lot a nerve... lol"

Oh I stuck up to bullies back in sleep away summer camp. And back in grade school I'd stop them from trying to harm anyone. I don't like nonsense; never put up with it. Mom taught me better.

I involved myself actively in the environmental movement even as a young teenager and I followed with fascination the Vietnam War protests but I was a little too young still to be involved outside of my conversations about it. I was too young for Woodstock but I certainly gave my parents a hard time about going to Watkins Glenn in 73 (they won) and then I first started protesting formally in 1975 right on the campus of USF where I had gone off to school, right here in Tampa. Particularly then we were protesting to bring down the Shaw of Iran. "I ran the Shaw down" we chanted.

All these years later and lots of fighting in between, I have not lost my nerve. I still fight the good fight. You're damned right; I got a lot of nerve.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post

That's actually a real interesting point and certainly not out of the realm of probabilities to consider that this announcement might have been made with prior blessing of league authority.

Regardless of its inception, it's nice to see such a historic American institution champion an inclusive future in support of its LGBT players, administrators, support staff and fans.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
As far as I know there's not a single MLBer who has come out - you know they're there (statistically).......until that happens, anything else is just a PR move.
If anyone thinks there are no gay or bi players, they're absolutely kidding themselves. I won't say how I know but I will offer up this guy who the world sadly lost to AIDS:

Glenn Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Glenn Lawrence Burke (November 16, 1952 – May 30, 1995) was a Major League Baseball (MLB) player for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Oakland Athletics from 1976 to 1979.
Burke was the first and only MLB player to come out as gay to teammates and team owners during his professional career and the first to publicly acknowledge it. He died from AIDS-related causes in 1995.

"They can't ever say now that a gay man can't play in the majors, because I'm a gay man and I made it."—Glenn Burke

He told The New York Times that "Prejudice drove me out of baseball sooner than I should have. But I wasn't changing". He wrote in his autobiography that "prejudice just won out." Burke left professional sports at the age of 27. He told People magazine in 1994 that his "mission as a gay ballplayer was to break a stereotype" and that he thought "it worked".

Seems there's work still left to be done.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 03-13-2015 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay