Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,594,732 times

Advertisements

To the OP who cares what any of us think?...It matters only what you think about St.Pete...my son works downtown (3 yrs)and lived downtown until recently when he moved into his girlfriends condo in Safety Harbor...he liked living down there but I think it got expensive...but for restaurants and such I know he enjoyed his time there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 09:52 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
The world that I see is this one here. I hate to break it to you but YES it is. The young people moving here are into tribal tattoos, sleeping till 11 or more, save the world types, and of course yuppies. Of course not all of them but I am in their age group so I do see this reality more than you probably. I am very fit to comment on it as well. And yes most places you go still even, it feels like the 90s again.. go to any bar and listen to the song selections.. I heard Bell Biv Devoe, Shaggy, Def Leppard in one place in particular. So yes again I am right.. I guess you don't get out enough.
What? I used to live in Portland, that's definitely not the 90s music they listen to out there.

First off, all of that is extremely commercial. Def Leppard is so Classic Rock, it hurts. It screams super-mainstream. Bell Biv Devoe is very mainstream as well. Shaggy, isn't that a rap star? Rap/Hip-Hop probably exists in Portland, but the scene would be quite small. Unless Shaggy has some cult following I'm not aware of. It's possible, but I just don't see that there.

Anyways, the kind of people with those music tastes (Def Leppard, Bell Biv Devoe) in 2015 sound like they are probably 40-year-olds who had a lot of mainstream music interests when they were in their 20s. In short, it sounds like you have a lot of middle-aged Midwesteners there who haven't changed their cassette tape collection in 20 years.

The very nature of Portland would strongly reject any kind of mainstream, especially overproduced, overcommercialized on any kind of national level.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,983,690 times
Quote:

So what you all think about St Pete?

I liked St Pete when i lived there for 20 years, never had a problem getting a job,
worked on a few Golf courses.
Had a few truck driving delivery jobs,
Worked a lot of construction,
Worked a bunch of small factory jobs.
Even had a job working on a dredge out in Tampa Bay.
Jobs are there if you want to hustle a bit and look for them.

Last edited by jambo101; 03-22-2015 at 04:57 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 AM

239 posts, read 323,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
To the OP who cares what any of us think?...It matters only what you think about St.Pete...my son works downtown (3 yrs)and lived downtown until recently when he moved into his girlfriends condo in Safety Harbor...he liked living down there but I think it got expensive...but for restaurants and such I know he enjoyed his time there...
I'm talking to someone currently and have been now for a bit.. she lives in Bradenton. So I say who knows what will happen. I feel lonely a lot too so me not really being in regular communication with people makes me jittery and nervous at times. I technically came here with no friends. But would you prefer I not take the risk and stay where I was ****ing miserable? I mean worse than here. This isnt much really other than nervous jitters because of some deja vu feeling I've gotten in the past. I actually just watched videos in SoCal of people driving like garbage to make me feel a little better and thought abut how life there would be. Still though, its a process and I dont wanna give up too soon either. Even if I did give up on St Pete, I'd be nearby because at least with Tampa Bay, its all about the neighborhood. Everywhere is different. Dunedin is different than St Pete, even worse for finding jobs probably. Clearwater too maybe plus those crazy scientologists. Then you got Tampa which is another animal, Brandon for sure. Sarasota, Bradenton. Its all different and your bound to like SOMETHING here. So no in that sense I will not give up.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I liked St Pete when i lived there for 20 years, never had a problem getting a job,
worked on a few Golf courses.
Had a few truck driving delivery jobs,
Worked a lot of construction,
Worked a bunch of small factory jobs.
Even had a job working on a dredge out in Tampa Bay.
Jobs are there if you want to hustle a bit and look for them.
I actually think you're right because someone pointed me to websites here to look at and I plan to later into monday. A job fair is tomorrow, another place is hiring all in St Pete. Its like after I was having my depression spell earlier I saw all this stuff so who knows. Maybe I will find something after all. And sometimes you get jitters when something good is about to happen also but you think you get them because nothing is happening and you think it may never. But they could too.. and yes it is hard here but not totally hopeless either and I guess I have to keep reminding myself that. Maybe even St Pete isnt as hopeless as I might have thought. But yes it takes getting out there for sure.. its just you get frustrated after all these call backs and not much activity but then I saw a lot of other options I didnt even apply to yet so well see. I mean I made a jump not knowing hardly anyone here.. my stepdad lives in Parrish.. I am like all alone nearly and I get jitters often lately but I have less now and I am out to enjoy the day so, maybe this is a start to something new. I am about to make coffee in my not even 2 dollar coffee maker I got from a thrift store to wake up because I was up and thinking all night. I am one of those people you know? I am neurotic, cynical and I need reasons to keep positive so whatever I have to do I try and do.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:52 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,004,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You keep trolling about how you think St Pete is a retirement city, though clearly to most everyone else it's not. The median household income in St Petersburg is 45K a year, which is higher than Orlando and very nearly on par with Miami, which would indicate a similar demographic and neither is known as a retirement destination. And the premise it feels like the 80s and 90s is a bit out there, even if it did somehow to you in 2008...7 years ago.
I believe those median "household" statistics are usually given as a "household" of 4, which suggests there's more than one adult in the house. If it's 2 working adults with 2 kids, then you're looking at a whopping $45,000 / 2 = $22,500 annual salary per person.

And as far as jobs go, just be thankful you didn't spend 6 years to go to school and become a CPA like I did. Biggest mistake of my life.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:46 PM

473 posts, read 791,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
I believe those median "household" statistics are usually given as a "household" of 4, which suggests there's more than one adult in the house. If it's 2 working adults with 2 kids, then you're looking at a whopping $45,000 / 2 = $22,500 annual salary per person.

And as far as jobs go, just be thankful you didn't spend 6 years to go to school and become a CPA like I did. Biggest mistake of my life.
You are employed though right? Could be worse.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
You are employed though right? Could be worse.
If hes employed, hes still a step ahead of me and I had to pay 7 grand for massage school in which i reaped none of the benefits.

I got a job "offer" recently from Certified Payment Processing but its all a farse. They prey on job seekers who are more down and out , looking on craigslist. They are out of a place called Carrollton TX.. I wouldnt have a local boss in the area either. Its all over the phone with this guy in Texas so after I got done talking on the phone with the guy, I researched it and thats what I found. Mostly 1 star reviews and they schedule false appointments.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times
Quote:
go to any bar and listen to the song selections.. I heard Bell Biv Devoe, Shaggy, Def Leppard
Is this REALLY the music people listen to in TAMPA? Seriously? Bell Biv Devoe, Shaggy, and Def Leppard? In ANY bar?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,555,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post

I have a neighbor three houses down that is a CPA doing quite well working out of her home. I also have been using a CPA for my business these last 15 yrs who works out of her house and has built quite a nice business for her family. It took her 2-3 yrs of hustle and handshaking but she did it. I remember being solicited by her years ago and have seen her grow the business. Now when I see her, we talk about her plans for retirement. Things like that happen everyday. You went to school to learn a service that you can build a business around. Now comes the hard part. You have to build the business and decide how big do you want it! A few years busting your hump can be the beginning of a nice life. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay