Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:32 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,020,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I usually can tell I'm wandering into the wrong hood by the number of pawn shops and check cashing places...also gentlemen's clubs is another red flag...also when I'm driving the nicest car stopped at the stop light I know I'm not in Kansas anymore!!!
Right up there with Popeye's and Church's Chicken, Salem's Gyros, MetroPCS, Family Dollar, and small beauty supply shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Look for Section 8 housing, avoid them.
Look for community organizers, avoid them.
Graffiti, chain link fences, indoor sofas on porches, pitbulls are all things to notice.

But even a nice neighborhood can be a block or so from a ghetto, thanks to fair housing regulators. Lines can zig-zag and get blurred.

Sometimes you can judge a neighborhood by it's churches, comparing storefront churches to freestanding churches, even if it's not your favorite.

Staying at least one block away from a bus route can seem safer, ditto with schools due to gang activity.

There's really no substitute for driving around until you feel safe enough to walk around.
And sometimes parking is an issue, so look around at night when everybody is home from work.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:02 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,020,115 times
You're definitely on your own with THAT reply. I wasn't going that far and I don't feel that way.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:19 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
St. Pete can get shady after 22nd Ave North going into South. South St. Pete is a euphemism for the ghetto as thats where the worst parts are but after a certain point of going south, it gets really nice. Generally stay away from the southside thats not around the beaches and youll be fine

Old 03-29-2015, 04:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGateway View Post
Lets just call it for what it is.. its a black problem. Blacks are not desirable people to be around by most. Even me, I move to the other side when I get that weird feeling or like Mark Cuban says, he crosses the street.. lol. White flight however isn't the answer. I think getting in groups is and staying around. The only time I feel you should leave a place is if it gets overcrowded and in that case, some white people are to blame too especially yuppies or the more "well to do" coming in. Its just like Scott Weiland says, we're all slaves to a big machine!
You should be BANNED from this Forum for this remark. Go away, you were annoying, now you are disgusting.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:54 AM

87 posts, read 213,061 times
Default Bad Areas

If your too look at this report and the addresses it gives you a idea. St Pete in general is a really high crime city. Downtown and South St Pete has its issues and if you read the calls you see allot of brawling in South St Pete.

Pinellas Country crime reports | Tampa Bay Times

Old 03-29-2015, 10:53 AM

239 posts, read 326,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
You're definitely on your own with THAT reply. I wasn't going that far and I don't feel that way.
Ya right. I believe you do and don't have reason to believe otherwise.I can admit what I feel because I am not dishonest.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:32 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Originally Posted by InGateway
Quote:
Lets just call it for what it is.. its a black problem. Blacks are not desirable people to be around by most. Even me, I move to the other side when I get that weird feeling or like Mark Cuban says, he crosses the street.. lol. White flight however isn't the answer. I think getting in groups is and staying around. The only time I feel you should leave a place is if it gets overcrowded and in that case, some white people are to blame too especially yuppies or the more "well to do" coming in. Its just like Scott Weiland says, we're all slaves to a big machine!
He makes a racial remark and he's still here posting?????????

Old 03-29-2015, 04:37 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
[quote=dothetwist;39006581]Originally Posted by InGateway

He makes a racial remark and he's still here posting?????????[/
Did he make a racial slur? You don't like what he says and you are ready to have him banned. Could he soften what he is saying and still pretty much say the same thing? Then would that be ok? BTW I bet there are plenty of people that 100% agree with you. I also bet there are many that agree with him that will never admit it. I find Tampa to be a melting pot. There are exclusively white areas. There are exclusively black areas and then there are mixed communities. Where I am from on LI you had areas that were white and once blacks moved in they fled. Then Ive also seen it the opposite and I have seen black areas taken over by other groups and the blacks left. Times and people change. I think society in general has changed and the US does not have the racial divide it once had. Certainly among the young race is not a issue at all. Again I may not agree with the way he made his statement and I am sure he could have said it differently.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
[quote=retiredcop111;39009166]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Originally Posted by InGateway

He makes a racial remark and he's still here posting?????????[/
Did he make a racial slur? You don't like what he says and you are ready to have him banned. Could he soften what he is saying and still pretty much say the same thing? Then would that be ok? BTW I bet there are plenty of people that 100% agree with you. I also bet there are many that agree with him that will never admit it. I find Tampa to be a melting pot. There are exclusively white areas. There are exclusively black areas and then there are mixed communities. Where I am from on LI you had areas that were white and once blacks moved in they fled. Then Ive also seen it the opposite and I have seen black areas taken over by other groups and the blacks left. Times and people change. I think society in general has changed and the US does not have the racial divide it once had. Certainly among the young race is not a issue at all. Again I may not agree with the way he made his statement and I am sure he could have said it differently.
The thing that a lot of people miss is that you dont know if race is an issue, if you are not of that particular race, you can have an idea but certainly no ground to say race is not an issue. What we have in Tampa is what you have in most places is economic segregation, income and race have the usual correlation which is what you see in upper middle class neighborhoods, to me you see the melting pot effect in places like Brandon which are lower middle class and you really have all races is those income brackets also lots of military which also helps the mix. I know a lot of white lower income people who live in places like NPR, Holiday who complain about an influx of black people in their neighborhood, which is an effect of the gentrification of ST Pete and rents going up in what use to be working class neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay