Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 13,568 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to St. Petersburg, FL in May. I have recently learned about the presence of Scientology headquarters in Clearwater, FL. Should I be concerned about living in St. Petersburg? Is it easy to not associate with scientologists? I'm just worried that if there are so many living there, it might be impossible to not get involved with them somehow or another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,853,640 times
No, you don't need to be concerned. Scientology is in Clearwater, far enough from St. Pete.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,394,183 times
I'm not sure why this would be a concern to begin with? If Scientology was a hate group, sure, no one wants to be around that, but that's like saying you can't live in Utah because it's impossible to not have to associate with a Mormon. For the most part, Scientologists seem to keep to themselves, are generally easy to identify since the ones in downtown Clearwater all seem to dress the same, and they don't spend much time trying to convert people like a few far more annoying 'traditional' religions tend to do.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:24 PM

25 posts, read 62,506 times
How would you "get involved" unless you chose to? It isn't like they are a hate group or terrorists that are forcibly taking people off the streets.

Seriously, Scientology followers are the very least of my worries here in Saint Petersburg!

Old 04-05-2015, 05:09 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,769,563 times
I never knew much about Scientology until I watched the documentary on HBO last week, which I found fascinating. They're a unique bunch, to say the least. But, I think as long as you're not a part of it you've got nothing to worry about.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 PM

792 posts, read 2,281,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truslow View Post
I'm moving to St. Petersburg, FL in May. I have recently learned about the presence of Scientology headquarters in Clearwater, FL. Should I be concerned about living in St. Petersburg? Is it easy to not associate with scientologists? I'm just worried that if there are so many living there, it might be impossible to not get involved with them somehow or another
LOL, talk about worrying over nothing.

You will likely not ever even see one unless you visit downtown Clearwater. Even then, they keep to themselves and do their own thing.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:34 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,971,001 times
I mean, I've eaten at the Spaghetti Warehouse (literally in the same plaza as their Ybor headquarters) and never had a problem. This hasn't always been the case though. They used to be across the street from what is now "Game Time" and they used to be a lot more aggressive. That was almost 10 years ago though.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:24 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,372,862 times
Don't worry it's not contagious, so you won't catch anything from them!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:05 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,969,328 times
They have huge buildings in Ybor and Clearwater. I've never even noticed them either time I've been around. They keep to themselves.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:06 PM

85 posts, read 100,608 times
Just stay away from Fort Harrison a bit congested. Don't get worked up about that they don't really bother anyone and most of them are nice polite people that I met. They are not leaving the bee hive anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay