U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 18,272 times

Advertisements

I am 27, and my girlfriend is 21 y/o. We both currently reside in Boston, MA. We have entertained the idea of moving somewhere warmer. I have been to numerous parts of florida for vaca through out my life. I currently work in Sales, and have taken classes locally for my real estate liscense. My girlfriend is currently in school to become a teacher. I have researched and thought St. Pete seemed like a good option for us. Any thoughts or ideas on where we should check? Thanks for your time.

Brenden
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM

849 posts, read 3,333,016 times
Default Check out Phoenix

You're both in terrible professions for FL. Our housing mkt. is a mess and I wouldn't wish the FL education on my worst enemy. My husband is subbing and trying to go alternate track for cert. The schools are terrible because of parental uninvolvement. St. Pete however, isn't the worst. BTW the schools are on a county system and so You want Pinellas Co. If you can handle the desert, I really do suggest Phoenix. They need teachers desperately, It's young, progressive and the real estate mit. is pertty good relatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylence2k2 View Post
I am 27, and my girlfriend is 21 y/o. We both currently reside in Boston, MA. We have entertained the idea of moving somewhere warmer. I have been to numerous parts of florida for vaca through out my life. I currently work in Sales, and have taken classes locally for my real estate liscense. My girlfriend is currently in school to become a teacher. I have researched and thought St. Pete seemed like a good option for us. Any thoughts or ideas on where we should check? Thanks for your time.

Brenden

Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 PM

8 posts, read 18,272 times
I appreciate your brut honesty. Is there any part of florida that has decent real estate? Or a school system that isn't in shambles? Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
You're both in terrible professions for FL. Our housing mkt. is a mess and I wouldn't wish the FL education on my worst enemy. My husband is subbing and trying to go alternate track for cert. The schools are terrible because of parental uninvolvement. St. Pete however, isn't the worst. BTW the schools are on a county system and so You want Pinellas Co. If you can handle the desert, I really do suggest Phoenix. They need teachers desperately, It's young, progressive and the real estate mit. is pertty good relatively.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:22 AM

367 posts, read 1,597,169 times
You can certainly get a job in Florida teaching, indeed they are in need of good teachers and it is a good profession, and it does have opportunities for progression, but it has its problems too.
As for real estate, I agree with above poster about AZ, but it too will feel the pinch in R/E when this economy starts to really bite. If you want to be in it for the long haul, hang in there, but find some other work to keep you going meantime - something that you can use your sales expertise in. By the way, I'm not certain whether there is an agreement between MA and FL for real estate, you may have to do classes again to be licensed here, just check on that one with your State licensing board. Even if there is, you will have to do some classes to get in line with FL statutes pertaining to Real Estate Laws and practices. I think you can do this online though.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 AM

Default you are so right

Spainbrit,
I think you hit the nail, no one wants to admit that things are going to get worse. I have been unwilling to say it here. Kudos for your bravery in speaking the truth. As for teaching, the reason that we need teachers is because they are leaving in droves, not because of growth except in a few places. My husband is subbing right now and he wouldn't want to be permanent in most districts. In this area, he thinks Pinellas is the best but then only certain schools. Also we are closing a few schools due to declining enrollment and going to the neighborhood assignment model. He hasn't been in Manatee schools but they are the highest payers in the State. We've heard some good things tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
You can certainly get a job in Florida teaching, indeed they are in need of good teachers and it is a good profession, and it does have opportunities for progression, but it has its problems too.
As for real estate, I agree with above poster about AZ, but it too will feel the pinch in R/E when this economy starts to really bite. If you want to be in it for the long haul, hang in there, but find some other work to keep you going meantime - something that you can use your sales expertise in. By the way, I'm not certain whether there is an agreement between MA and FL for real estate, you may have to do classes again to be licensed here, just check on that one with your State licensing board. Even if there is, you will have to do some classes to get in line with FL statutes pertaining to Real Estate Laws and practices. I think you can do this online though.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM

20 posts, read 76,097 times
Pinellas & Pasco county schools, of course which school takes research, have both been great experiences for me, a mom of 3 boys with all grades & ages

Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Default yes but

aren't we closing a few schools here? Pinellas? where will those teachers go? I'd opt for Pasco ecept the pay is low. Manatee Co. has teh best teacher's salaries in the state and it's just over the skywa form St. Pete. actually pretty doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPfeiffer View Post
Pinellas & Pasco county schools, of course which school takes research, have both been great experiences for me, a mom of 3 boys with all grades & ages

Old 01-21-2008, 11:04 PM

36 posts, read 99,965 times
Please check teacher salaries before moving - our friends from Ohio moved down with masters degrees to find salaries in the high 30's/low40's. In addition, teachers were discussing quitting during the lunch breaks. Our friends stayed for one year, sold their home and went back to Ohio for significant, 20k, raises. Unfortunately, I do not know why teachers are paid so bad here...possibly because they are non-unionized. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
Default Brenden,

I am a retired person who lived in NH and worked in and around Boston for many years. If you like the busy trafficky life of the city, the coastal cities of Florida will be like that. (minus the subway) All traffic moves above ground here, and can be a real pain in the neck. Wages in your fields can be much lower here, but so can the cost of heating or cooling your home. Florida is not for everyone, takes a couple summers to really get used to it. After 5 years here, I am now cold if the temps drop below 50.
Fresh veggies and beef by the megaton are grown here, yet the price of food is about 25 to 30 percent higher than in the north. Grocery chains practice deception like auto dealers. For some reason, truth in advertising laws are non existant or just too lax.
If you truly want to move to a warmer climate and can put up with a slower pace, you may find south central Florida to your liking. I live about 75 mile so of Orlando. There are still some great property values to be had in some of these inland cities and towns.
Check out small cities and towns on Google (earth) like Frostproof, Avon Park, Sebring, and a great little town called Lake Placid. Lake Okeechobee if you need a bass fishing fix every now and again.
Be warned, it's not Massachusetts, Florida is hot in summer, mild in winter,
has fire ants, alligators, snakes, and love bugs. Out of all the pests named, the love bugs are the biggest nuicance. All the rest are not a problem to anyone with an IQ above room temperature.
If you like warm, (actually hot) being inland away from the full force of hurricaines, less traffic, nice people, no more snow, smaller malls, easier to get around, much lower auto insurance, lower cost of living coupled with smaller wages, with another equal amount of plusses and minuses to living in Boston, then you might want to give it a shot.
I might add, one and a half hours to Disney, 2 hours to some of the greatest beaches in America, (different one each weekend), five hours to Key West. One and a half hours to a major airport. No shortage of banks, drug stores, or places of worship. Schools are county run and there are a lot of new ones being built all the time.
Do some research, visit, and look it over before pulling the trigger. bub

Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM

3,928 posts, read 10,877,119 times
Just for a little perspective, I helped a young couple from PA (he's a teacher; she's in retail marketing) find their first home in Tampa this past weekend (first time homebuyers may qualify for downpayment assistance). If you are prepared to make a move like they were, create a plan and budget and go for it. IMO, it's better while you're still young. If it works out, great! If it doesn't workout, you're still young enough to return and build your career in the frozen tundra.

P.S. The home they selected is in Tampa in the Seminole Heights neighborhood

Last edited by TampaKaren; 01-22-2008 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Added PS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay