U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 11:41 AM

148 posts, read 219,744 times

Advertisements

Tampa is interesting. I have been a few times but my experience has been in the hood areas around 56/Busch or in Pebble Creek where my relatives have bought a house and are waiting to meet with God if you get what I mean.

Always been interested in the Tampa Latins, the Italians/Cubans/Spaniards that came...is there still an area where this demographic can be found? I know they used to live in Ybor, but my experience in Ybor outside of the club strip is that its a predominately black ghetto area that's very run down.

I'm not talking about new Hispanic immigrant areas, like Dale Mabry and Sligh...but the Tampa Latina...Vincente Ybor, Santo Trafficante...where do THOSE types live? Have they essentially dispersed and assimilated or is there a neighborhood known for them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:45 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,086,488 times
West Tampa.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:37 PM

15,840 posts, read 33,180,575 times
Yes, I grew up in what is now referred to as "old West Tampa (although I now live in Sarasota). I think it pretty much still is almost predominantly Latino (I am a Spaniard). South of Columbus Drive the area is pretty rough, and has a high ratio of African America mixed in, but north of Columbus where I grew up it is pretty much Spanish/Cuban/Italian. There are some of the same little stores and restaurants that existed when I grew up, such as La Casa de la Palomilla which is a Latin meat market.

My grandparents came to Tampa from northern Spain in the late 1800s. Tampa was a whole different place back then.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:58 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,832,208 times
I live north of Kennedy but south of 275. The neighborhoods are very clean and quiet for the most part. A large percentage of my neighbors are Cuban or some other Spanish descent. The lady next to me has been in West Tampa since it was it's "own city" and before I-275 existed...I've heard some cool stories from her. However, there are also many young American families in my area, too, that have found great deals on homes due to the "South Tampa effect" where many won't look a single block north of Kennedy.

The portion of West Tampa south of I-275 has slowly been swallowed up by what most consider to be "South Tampa", at least in my opinion...although many still consider Kennedy the northern border for South Tampa.

Like others have said, north of Columbus things start to change a bit.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 PM

239 posts, read 264,876 times
That's what I like about Tampa also to be honest. It feels more real to me than St Pete. Ybor is more normal to me and feels like the times when people still came off to Ellis Island.. its not as "gay" as people make it sound either with the whole Gaybor stuff. I never seen any down there. I seen mostly clubbers and people who may get loud but nothing more, nothing too yuppie ish ever. its always kept to a medium in Tampa in my experiences and more a playground for regular people still or those who are a bit quirky, just not bizarre like Portland or St Pete tend to get, the former being worse though still.. I like longash cigars too, King Corona, First Choice bbq in Brandon is where I went for lunch last time I went to Tampa. One place I gotta see is Edwards tobacco shop I believe on Kennedy and might have to hang on S Howard sometime to get a view of the whole area. Thankfully I can do that, minor depressions and all.

I took a trip to Davis Island earlier, I got a real nice view of the downtown from the water. That's pricier I'd imagine or like an East Sac kind of neighborhood but I noticed people were friendly. A woman or 2 said good morning as I walked by them.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:44 PM

239 posts, read 264,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I live north of Kennedy but south of 275. The neighborhoods are very clean and quiet for the most part. A large percentage of my neighbors are Cuban or some other Spanish descent. The lady next to me has been in West Tampa since it was it's "own city" and before I-275 existed...I've heard some cool stories from her. However, there are also many young American families in my area, too, that have found great deals on homes due to the "South Tampa effect" where many won't look a single block north of Kennedy.

The portion of West Tampa south of I-275 has slowly been swallowed up by what most consider to be "South Tampa", at least in my opinion...although many still consider Kennedy the northern border for South Tampa.

Like others have said, north of Columbus things start to change a bit.
Ya or MLK if you keep going I found. Not that its terrible really but it feels old like you stepped back in time to 1963.. some of that can be good though depending. Tampa feels like a throwback place for sure.. St Pete does in some ways but Tampa is like really classic and old feeling. The spirit is there among many residents it seems black, Hispanic, white, whichever. Its probably not even a whole lot different there from 4-5 yrs ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or