Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,308 times

Advertisements

I'd have expected better writing from a PhD student. Sounds more like something typed from a Laundromat while washing a sock.

Whether or not a sock, if a legitimate student at any level of study sought to bike to campus, a 30 minute ride twice a day during our summer rains could get a bit wet. You'd be all wet.

So a real student who wanted to bike to campus might be best in the apartments either in the student housing area on the N side of campus, between Fletcher and Downs and between the hospital and the Claw golf course, where you could also catch the shuttle on rain days, or in the apartments along 50th directly adjacent to campus or any of the complexes between campus and I-75 along Fletcher, possibly also along Fowler 56th to 75, though the further out you get increases the risk of getting caught riding in the rain and the Bullrunner doesn't yet go that far. For that sort of commute, if a student didn't want to be in the student housing area, then Raintree, I think it is called, might work N side of fowler just E of 56th in Temple Terrace. Because then if someone catches you, um, I mean, if you get caught in the rain, you could duck in a store on the way to school and wait it out. Then head out again when no one is looking, um, I mean, when the rain subsides.

Anyway, I'd certainly think that a PhD student who wants that sort of access to campus would have considered what complexes Bullrunner services so maybe yet another sock will include that next time when inquiring to make the question look even more authentic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:42 PM

9 posts, read 9,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I'd have expected better writing from a PhD student. Sounds more like something typed from a Laundromat while washing a sock.

Whether or not a sock, if a legitimate student at any level of study sought to bike to campus, a 30 minute ride twice a day during our summer rains could get a bit wet. You'd be all wet.

So a real student who wanted to bike to campus might be best in the apartments either in the student housing area on the N side of campus, between Fletcher and Downs and between the hospital and the Claw golf course, where you could also catch the shuttle on rain days, or in the apartments along 50th directly adjacent to campus or any of the complexes between campus and I-75 along Fletcher, possibly also along Fowler 56th to 75, though the further out you get increases the risk of getting caught riding in the rain and the Bullrunner doesn't yet go that far. For that sort of commute, if a student didn't want to be in the student housing area, then Raintree, I think it is called, might work N side of fowler just E of 56th in Temple Terrace. Because then if someone catches you, um, I mean, if you get caught in the rain, you could duck in a store on the way to school and wait it out. Then head out again when no one is looking, um, I mean, when the rain subsides.

Anyway, I'd certainly think that a PhD student who wants that sort of access to campus would have considered what complexes Bullrunner services so maybe yet another sock will include that next time when inquiring to make the question look even more authentic.
Seriously!? What does my writing have to do with anything? This is an informal forum, not an academic piece .

I really don't get why my desire to bike has become the focus of this thread . My bike will not be my only mode of transportation. I simply enjoy a relatively short biking commute when weather permits. I've looked at the streets on Google maps, and they really don't seem so bad. While some of the commute may be on the highly congested dangerous streets, the whole of it may not necessarily be. Of course only experience will tell whether biking is feasible. At any rate, a 30 min bike ride equates to ~15 min drive. A 15-20 min commute to "work" is desirable regardless of my wish to also have the option to bike. So all this commentary on biking is really pointless.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 PM

290 posts, read 339,212 times
Tampa Palms around Amberly is definitely a nice area. Temple Terrace isn't a bad choice, but I'd probably look on 46th street for something close. As a PhD student you'll more or less just be living at the university so you want to be pretty close. Whatever you do, don't go west of Bruce B Downs...

As for biking, I'd just advise you to be careful. A PhD student was killed a few years back while biking on Fletcher just east of school.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:00 PM

85 posts, read 101,231 times
There has to be something around, remember one thing if you rent cheap you get cheap. as for biking I don't know about that, seems a bit to busy there for me, I would be careful. Now that school will winding down for the year maybe something will open up for you. Did you try a realtor? Just a suggestion there has to be some type of search for you in that area.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:23 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,005,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyln View Post
Seriously!? What does my writing have to do with anything? This is an informal forum, not an academic piece .

I really don't get why my desire to bike has become the focus of this thread . My bike will not be my only mode of transportation. I simply enjoy a relatively short biking commute when weather permits. I've looked at the streets on Google maps, and they really don't seem so bad. While some of the commute may be on the highly congested dangerous streets, the whole of it may not necessarily be. Of course only experience will tell whether biking is feasible. At any rate, a 30 min bike ride equates to ~15 min drive. A 15-20 min commute to "work" is desirable regardless of my wish to also have the option to bike. So all this commentary on biking is really pointless.
I think the biking comments come from the fact that Tampa is in every top ten most dangerous cities for cyclist.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyln View Post

You don't know it but you've just proved my point. I'd estimate the readability alone of your writing to be at about a level of junior high school and your comprehension skills could maybe scam you a Bachelor's at an online institution or a junior college so long as you didn't get caught cheating. PhD, huh? Best of luck with that.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:07 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,037 times
housingcrashsurvivor - be careful throwing those stones in your particular house. Have you read YOUR writing? Do you find being snarky makes you feel better?

joyIn - I agree with the others - stay close or go north of campus but don't go west of Bruce B Downs.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:29 PM

yawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay