Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 AM

108 posts, read 145,233 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a 23 year old son who just moved to Tampa. He is sick. He went to a walk-in clinic on Tuesday and was told he had an infection (his face is blowing up) and was prescribed antibiotics. He is not getting better and I want him to see a dr. He said he has called two and can not get an appointment. Please help. He is in South Tampa. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Either go to an ER or back to the Urgent Care (or to a different Urgent Care).

Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 AM

Thank you. We actually suspect he may have mumps and he has called several walk in clinics who said they do not test for mumps. The ER will be next but I was hoping someone else would see him.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
It is very hard to get into see any doctor at the last minute, even those you have seen before. If you think it's an emergency take him to ER.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:31 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
If he is not an established patient NOBODY will see him no matter how sick he is. This is our reality. We learned it hard way. All doctor offices we contacted basically suggested to use Urgent Care/ ER....

Old 04-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks. I guess there is no such thing as a "sick" appointment in Tampa. I have told him to go to the ER. We were trying to avoid the extra cost. Thank you again.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 PM

Yes, that's why if he is planning to live in Tampa (and pretty much everyone should do it too) - he needs to find a doctor and make an appointment (first patient visit appointment) - these are normally have couple months waiting period. After that it's important to do annual well visits. From there on doctor will be able to do sick visits on call within a day or two.

I would also suggest to contact your insurance company and check with them regarding your options. They might suggest seeing someone specific. After all they will spend more covering Urgent care or ER visit. And be carefull with ER. 1) make sure it's really an emergency because insurance can challenge these bills is they can proof it wasn't an emergency. 2) stay within network and even call your insurance to confirm. It turned out ER doctors in in-network hospital are not necessary your insurance in-network providers....

Old 04-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Very good advice. I spoke with a couple of drs. Both advised ER which is where he is now. Now you have me worried that because he went to Urgent Care two days ago, that this ER visit won't be covered. Still no diagnosis. Part of the problem is that he is never sick and not used to this so he is more nervous than he should be. He is 23 years old and has taken antibiotics once in his entire life. I'm more nervous too because he has never been sick! If it were one of my daughters, I would be far more relaxed because they are always sick. Thank you again for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:10 PM

877 posts, read 1,911,777 times
My primary care doctor is actually an urgent care doctor. Mitch Forman in New Tampa/Wesley Chapel. We pay a $40 co-pay, but it is so nice to be able to be to go without an appt. The whole office is wonderful. We've been seeing them for years now.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaatric View Post
Very good advice. I spoke with a couple of drs. Both advised ER which is where he is now. Now you have me worried that because he went to Urgent Care two days ago, that this ER visit won't be covered. Still no diagnosis. Part of the problem is that he is never sick and not used to this so he is more nervous than he should be. He is 23 years old and has taken antibiotics once in his entire life. I'm more nervous too because he has never been sick! If it were one of my daughters, I would be far more relaxed because they are always sick. Thank you again for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.
I hope it's nothing serious! There are many viruses going around. It's better be safe than sorry. I hope your son will feel better soon and doctors will find the way to figure out what is going on with him. Please keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: