Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
So you're copying and pasting this on every thread now??? Way to lose credibility!
I'd guess you'd know about losing cred!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 02:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Tampa Bay has these things going for it:
-best beaches and pretty good access (Siesta Key/Ft. DeSoto)
-best museums/culture in the state (Ringling/Dali)
-best historic urban neighborhood in the state (Ybor City)
-best classic architecture in the state (UT/Tampa Theatre)
-IMO, best downtown in the state (St. Pete)
-best roller coaster park in the state (Busch Gardens)
-most areas to go (4 downtowns all with unique identity)
-quite possibly the best food scene, as a collective region
-best urban park (Vinoy Park)
-best for pro sports (Miami has more teams, but Tampa has better access)
-coolest ethnic community (Tarpon Springs)

Even with all that being true though , and being among the leaders in the Sun Belt in many of those categories, it has weaknesses, and those include:
-Heavy population/crowding
-lack of uniqueness/charm in suburbs (Hillsborough side)
-sprawl (takes a while to get to many of said things)
-still not as great of history/museums/culture as a general rule compared to some cities, but it's a younger city so that makes sense.
-not bicycle friendly at all, unless you happen to live near Pinellas Trail/Bayshore.
-lack of parks/conservation spaces near city, hard to find breathable green spaces as it's hard to justify making the driving consistently during a work week.
You make some very valid points.

Personally I think there should be 2 forums for Tampa Bay....one for St. Petersburg/Pinellas and another for Tampa/Hillsborough. I think they are very distinct from each other.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:21 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Well said. Tampa to me just feels generic in most parts, with no sense of identity.
Yup. Completely agree. South Tampa and Seminole Heights: Almost identical.

Quote:
It feels like any other car-centric mid-size city in the USA, which you covered when you mentioned lack of parks/conservation spaces near the city.
IN the city: Curtis Hixon, Al Lopez, Lowry Park, Ballast Point, Copeland, Cyrus Greene, Desoto Park, Picnic Island, Highland Pines, Macfarlane, Macdill, Lykes Gaslight Square... A couple of others. Tampa is lacking... Obviously.

Quote:
As far as good access to beaches go, if I didn't live in inland Tampa than I might see this as an advantage.
I'll give you this. Unless you live on David Island or in South Tampa, there's really no access to a beach.

Quote:
We are lucky to have something like Ybor, though. Plus lots of sports teams. I often forget about Busch Gardens, but it is a great theme park.
Ybor is probably one of the coolest places in Florida to check out. Between Ybor, South Tampa, Downtown, and Seminole Heights, Tampa has some really cool areas! Access to sports is also a plus, and we have a theme park. However, I do think Tampa needs more theme parks.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
However, I do think Tampa needs more theme parks.
You want more theme parks? Isn't one enough for a city of Tampa's size?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:58 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Are you saying Orlando's a bigger city? Universal, Wet N Wild, Fun Spot (at least two)... Etc.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:05 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
If you consider those "bests", then I'm guessing you haven't traveled much! I suggest you travel some before making such statements. It reflects badly on us as a nation.

Plus, you do realize that it is all very subjective and what may be best to you, may be boring to others. Then again, that should have been something taught in 4th grade.

.....and according to this is not that young:
Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Key word in the context though... In Florida. I wasn't meaning or suggesting to compare Tampa's museums and neighborhoods to the Midwest and Northeast legacy cities (Boston, Philly, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc.). However, the Ringling and Dali are certainly the best museums in FL (nothing in Jax, ORL or Miami can too those) and likely top 5 in the southeast. They're certainly great to have, as someone could easily spend an entire day at the Ringling complex.

Regarding Vinoy Park, it is almost a smaller version of Lakefront Park in Chicago, so I think that can definitely be "elite".

Regarding travel, I have been to all 50 states and capitals and have had the awesome opportunity to travel to other countries, so it's not like I haven't been around haha.

Of course that's true. But those subjects reflect a wide range of interests.

Tampa was "founded" in 1855, true. But it wasn't actually what could be considered a "big league" city until at least the 1960s, and many would argue more recently than that. For most of history apart Vincente Martinez, most would acknowledge it's two primary purposes had been tourism and agrarian.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:08 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I guess the theme parks question is an interesting one. I mean even a city of Chicago's size only has one, and I don't know that the Bay Area even has any. It's all a question of what people in the area want to entertain themselves. I could be wrong on the SF comment though.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:24 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Yeah - don't need more. Orlando has enough - although I like Busch Gardens, too many cheapens the city. Would like to see more green space, more bike trails, more parks - more tennis facilities. Also, this city needs some sort of mass transit for 20-50 yrs from now. We can handle traffic for the immediate future, but long term this place will be looking like LA.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:41 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Yeah - don't need more. Orlando has enough - although I like Busch Gardens, too many cheapens the city. Would like to see more green space, more bike trails, more parks - more tennis facilities. Also, this city needs some sort of mass transit for 20-50 yrs from now. We can handle traffic for the immediate future, but long term this place will be looking like LA.
Busch Gardens holds a special place in my heart, it was my first job. I just don't think Tampa could even support another theme park. The weekday attendance are numbers are good but not outstanding. I agree with you on the transit issue, but so far anything public transit related in Tampa gets shot down.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:11 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Default Is Tampa Bay really so bad?

No & Yes. Like most places, it depends on where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay