Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,923 times

Advertisements

Ok, here it goes, I will try to keep the rant to a minimum, but could really use some insider guidance and help!

Aiming for an Aug 1 move, husband working in Tampa, near N Boulevard and W Columbus.

We have never been there, heading down next week to scope things out, but only have 5 days there, so really need to focus on towns and schools.

I thought, based on schools, that Palm Harbor would be the best place, but honestly, I am so unimpressed by the school proficiency ratings (only 72% and an A ranking, really!?) and the negative attitude of the staff at the school (I was very rudely informed there was nobody who I could speak with about my concerns or about programs offered, or how they handle 2200+ students in one school and basically hung up on by Robyn of the 10th grade guidance office, who wouldn't even take a message for the councilor to call me back -- again, really?!) so now I am considering private / parochial schools as an option. Problem is, with 3 kids, that could cost a fortune so I may as well stay in NY and freeze to death.

So I have been researching schools and now different towns (which is an option if I am going to have to go the non-public route) and would LOVE your input specifically:

What public schools in what towns you like and why.

Private (Christian based or non) schools that don't break the bank.

Finally, it seems like traffic is a big problem down there. When I map it, his office to Palm Harbor comes up at 38min. Is that reasonable or is traffic really so bad that I will never see my husband in the daylight? If not is there a town you love love love???

We are coming from a suburb N or NYC which is very mom and pop, safe streets for bike riding, etc. Would love a community feel, where drivers actually stop if you're in the crosswalk, neighbors help each other out, etc.

Thank you all in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
We moved to Palm Harbor in 97 from Bayside (Queens) N.Y. it was very stressful...we had a son going into 5th grade and our daughter was only three...to be honest my son was in a Catholic school up north so I just looked into private schools down here...he was happy at the school we chose & adjusted well so I put my daughter in there the next year...my husband took a job in Tampa...he had a 45-60 minute commute which really didn't bother him...but some find that to be too long...which is why the Westchase area may be a better fit...I know I'm not being much of a help here...It was hard finding a school for one kid...let alone three and one of them is in high school which is your task!!! The two areas in Pinellas I would suggest that are safe and family friendly are Palm Harbor and Safety Harbor...Westchase is in Hillsborough...but not all three have both great middle and high schools which is what you need...so you may have to do a combination of the two(private/public)...I just read my post back and really hope I didn't confuse you more...if you have any question send me a direct message...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay