Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 01:37 PM

389 posts, read 804,445 times

Advertisements

Hi group,

If a property in Florida has had chinese drywall and then had it removed and re-drywalled, is that documented or recorded somewhere? Or is it required to be disclosed if remediated?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:54 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
I dont know but I can only imagine that if it was replaced a permit would need to be pulled which would be public record.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:29 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
If the property is bank owned than banks hide behind the claim they never lived there and have no knowledge.

A seller has to disclose but not all sellers will do.

The risk of a Chinese drywall property is the not knowing if every tiny piece has been removed and taken out and replaced or just a few walls. Many companies will cut corners on many items to save money while there are companies that are doing a great job.

Often with sink hole repair companies they will give you life time warranties but after getting sued they will quit the business and start under a different LLC or quit completely. What is the warranty good for if it is not with an insurance company but a company where you don't know if they will exist next year.

That also happened with friends of mine with a pool they had build and they had a long time warranty but the company filed for bankruptcy within months of the pool being installed and gone is the warranty.

No there is no guarantee and for drywall replacement no permits are needed but there are for electrical wiring and many contractors won't pull a permit and claim the county made an error...

If it is determined to be a Chine drywall home and not disclosed by a regular seller who knew or reasonable should know you still have to find the person which may be easy or not but it will cost you money hiring a lawyer and prepare for a long time court battle.

If the seller is find guilty of wrong doing then you still need to collect and some seller feel they can risk it.

Some investors will also claim they haven't lived at the property and have no clue but often they did know.

Homes build in certain time frame could have it.

Would I ever buy one? Heck NO! So I'm so nice to leaver the opportunity to others to buy the house... lol

Old 04-30-2015, 05:05 AM

389 posts, read 804,445 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:28 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Normally permit must be obtained is more than small piece of drywall will be replaced. But even if you can pull the permit (search for "xxx county permit search online"), there are no guarantees the entire house were fixed.
Besides that I personally would be concerned about other materials in the house for example wood frames that hold drywalls. These are never replaced and you never know what effect to your health it might cause.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
There's no single source I'm aware of. A few new home builders (M/I) stripped the defective drywall homes back to the studs and replaced everything (wiring, plumbing, drywall, etc.). Other builders are still mediating the cost in court - what a nightmare. Another thing to keep in mind that there were several hurricanes causing damage during the time defective drywall was used, so it may have been installed in older homes that were renovated.

There was some Chinese Drywall legislation inserted into the Dodd-Frank Act for government backed foreclosure homes (HUD, Fannie, Freddie), but I don't know that field services staff are testing the homes prior to re-sale. This would be after 2010 though.

There was and still is a lot of fraud in detecting and remediating defective drywall. If you need an expert, please verify their credentials, experience, and authenticity.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 04-30-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
if your really questioning it (remodeling or the house being built during the time of this drywall) I would hire someone to check it out. If there is even a hint, RUN..

I remember a while back, we were working in this very large home (probably well over 5k sqft) and could not get dial tone to hold over the phone system. After we began pulling off some of the phone jacks to expose the wiring, we found that it was corroded worse than 50+ year old outdoor lines in south tampa. We couldnt figure it out, we joked that they must have wired this house with 2nd hand wiring... then the owners said "o yeah, we have Chinese drywall, its getting replaced next month."

I could not believe the impact it had on coated wiring, i cant imagine what its doing to other things we cant see..

Old 05-01-2015, 06:56 AM

77 posts, read 108,027 times
Lennar house built in 2001 and not remodeled since. Inspector didn't look for Chinese d.w. But didn't point out anything weird. Think I'm safe?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I never heard of any Chinese drywall prior to 2005 so you should be fine. Check the electrical wiring.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellohio View Post
Lennar house built in 2001 and not remodeled since. Inspector didn't look for Chinese d.w. But didn't point out anything weird. Think I'm safe?
I would say you safe only by looking at built date. I didn't see any houses built here in Tampa Bay area in 2001 with toxic drywalls.
The way I would check is by going to attic and look on the back side of drywalls that are making your ceiling in the house, right down number and google. It's not always works since different drywalls could be use everywhere in the house.
Google builder + year + community regarding drywall issues.
Go to permit search site and search by street names (the street name of the house you are looking to buy and maybe next street to it) and see if drywalls were replaced at other homes.
But again, I am 99.9% sure you are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: