Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM

16 posts, read 26,885 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking for some 'getting started', general advice for moving to Tampa in regards to neighborhoods. Everone has to start somewhere in terms of their research, so I'm starting from square one. I'm currently in Boston. I'm in my mid 40s, my husband is in his mid 50s. I would work in downtown Tampa and drive from wherever we live, he'd work from home. We'd need to rent for the first year until we could decide what area to buy a home in.

Since I'm a little older, I'm not interested in living right in the city. I'd like to have a little grass of some type and some trees (I realize it won't be like the Northeast). I'm not scared of a driving commute, I just don't want to be on the highway for 45 minutes plus each way per day. Boston is actually much worse if you drive in from the suburbs 10-15 miles out. It can be 1+ hours each way. So how worse could that be.

I understand many people recommend "South Tampa". I get that. What are a few specific neighborhoods though that would be a part of "South Tampa" Someone else also recommended "West Shore" to me, and I can certainly look into that. Any other specific suggestions?

We are not the type that are going to hang out at bars or clubs or coffee shops all of the time. I want a nice grocery store to get to relatively easy (Whole Foods, The Fresh Market), and the basics of general stores, a bank, post office, local places to grab a bite (doesn't have to be heavily ethnic). I just want simple. I don't need to be WAY WAY out in the burbs. We don't have kids, aren't concerned about schools, churches, no pets, that type of thing. I do like quieter though. Eventually I want to buy a small house and have a garden-- in a suburb.

To start, I think I'd like to keep this move as simple and easy as possible, just get down there, and move into an apartment complex that is nice and has nice landscaped grounds, etc. Someone suggested Post Properties / Rocky Point. I'll check that out, but I don't need to be right on the water. I guess I could rent a house, but it seems like it'd be easier to get into an apartment. I'm not too worried about rent, but I don't want to pay more than $1800 for an apartment--and know I can get into something relatively nice for that in Tampa.

If anyone has some specific suggestions for a few places/neighborhoods I could start to look into, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR623 View Post
Hi. I'm looking for some 'getting started', general advice for moving to Tampa in regards to neighborhoods. Everone has to start somewhere in terms of their research, so I'm starting from square one. I'm currently in Boston. I'm in my mid 40s, my husband is in his mid 50s. I would work in downtown Tampa and drive from wherever we live, he'd work from home. We'd need to rent for the first year until we could decide what area to buy a home in.

Since I'm a little older, I'm not interested in living right in the city. I'd like to have a little grass of some type and some trees (I realize it won't be like the Northeast). !
Why do you think there are no trees or grass in FL?????????

Here's photo taken at my driveway. Not only are the oaks very old and very tall, we get the added bonus of beautiful Spanish moss.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 AM

I just wanted to ensure people understood that I realize it won't look like the forests of the Northeast. It looks very nice. Thanks! And that I'm not looking to live on a slab of concrete in the city (like living in NYC). That's all I meant. I'm not trying to get anyone upset on the internet, sorry. I said I was staring from square 1.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 4,836 times
Your story sounds a lot like mine. I'm in Central NY and doing research for moving down to FL possibly by the end of the year. I've driven in Boston - those drivers are crazy! :-P

I'm looking & researching - the areas that interest me the most is New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Land O' Lakes & nearby these areas. Also from Riverview down to Ruskin. Though I was told to not look at Gibsonton. Temple Terrace is not good in a lot of the areas.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:46 PM

CynHop, are you thinking of renting at first, or are you trying to move there and into a house, condo or townhome?

The drivers here are crazy. And I drove into work today, and it took me 1.25 hours, and I live 14 miles south of Boston. It is so hard to get around, I've basically stopped driving a lot of places. General cost of living, taxes, the price of real estate is nuts, the winter ... I don't even have to tell you about that. It's terrible. I have been here 15 years--enough. Yes, there are very good things about here ... about everywhere, but geez. It's sort of like when you get used to this more difficult and expensive way of living you just think 'eh....whatever'. No, no whatever! You reach a point when you need a change and want to do something about it so you don't end up like a lot of people who only wish and talk about making a change. Life is too short to not be happy and better off financially where you're living (if you are able to make a change. I realize not everyone can).

I am going to spend the next few weeks researching neighborhoods and apartment complexes. I already have a job. I could probably also fly down there and look around a little bit, but honestly, it'd be like driving around there blind. I need to spend some time researching online first so that I even know what I'm talking about. And I don't want to overanalyze this. I may just pick a nice decent place, get down there, live and learn, etc.

I'll get there (or not). But I will get someplace better. Because I'm not staying in Boston much longer.

Thank you to everyone who replied (does reply). I will look into everything you suggest.

Last edited by GR623; 05-05-2015 at 03:24 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 10:32 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Have you ever been to Tampa? I'm a little curious as to how anyone thinks we're just slabs of concrete with no grass or trees. The only area that would be "on a slab of concrete" would be renting an apartment in the heart of downtown.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:29 AM

That's not what I said. I said that about living directly in the city (like in NYC). Just forget it. The joys of the internet. Thanks all.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:52 AM

114 posts, read 250,416 times
The great thing about Tampa is you can be "in the city" and still get a lot of suburban benefits. All of these recommendations are obviously YMMV, but definitely check out Seminole Heights and Temple Terrace.

Traffic does tend to be a pain in Tampa, but it might not seem so bad coming from Boston. It's certainly better here (IMO) than it is in Orlando or South Florida by a longshot.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:53 AM

114 posts, read 250,416 times
Plus Tampa is super affordable for a major-ish city, and even Tampa proper is much more affordable than say Sarasota or St. Pete.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:55 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
Carrollwood area comes to mind. There is a Whole Foods and a Fresh Market there, plus 2 health food stores (Nutrition S'Mart and Abbeys). The main street is a bit busy though. Once you are off that, it is pretty quiet and the house and yard.

You did not mention where you will be commuting to work to.

I live in the New Tampa area. My husband use to work near the airport. It would take him at least 45 minutes to get to work (he does drive a little slow, IMO). If there is an accident, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay