Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 03:22 PM

15 posts, read 22,126 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband is transferring to Tampa, FL and I will be working and transferring to Orlando, FL.
Advice needed please ..
Family friendly communities with school age children (don't want to be in a retirement community)
Prefer community with pool, fitness club etc with low HOA/CDD fees
Any advice on private schools/Christian/Catholic schools in the area?
How is the commute on I-4 going to Tampa and Orlando from Lakeland?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 PM

213 posts, read 659,740 times
the commute to both Tampa and Orlando on I-4 in one word "nightmare", travel will back up going to either city. Both are around 45 minutes from Lakeland. Depending on where in each city you work, depends on how bad it will be. If going to Tampa you have to go to the downtown area, traffic coming into downtown at I-4 and I-275 (known as malfunction junction) will be backed up and grid locked during rush hour. Going into Orlando on I-4 gets very heavy near downtown and traffic becomes stop and go during rush hour. If you can find some back roads that take you off of I-4 to get to your jobs that would be advisable. North Lakeland, which is closer to I-4, is not always the best part of town to live in. If you live in south Lakeland (the better parts of town) you can take the Polk Parkway to get onto I-4 that cuts some traffic, but will cost you tolls.
There are many neighborhoods in Lakeland with kids that are not retirement communities. You could check into such communities as Eaglebrook-it has a gated front, with a security person, a clubhouse, pool and other amenities. It is in the better part of town, but you will have a bit of a drive to get to I-4, via the Polk Parkway. There is also Carillon Lakes, it is closer to the Polk Parkway and county line rd for Tampa. It also is gated with a security person and has amenities. Can't tell you what the HOAs would be since I do not live in either community. They are both in better areas of town and both had children.
There is Lakeland Christian School, it is K-12th grade, with a good football program. There is also All Saints Academy (it is actually in the next town over) but it is supposed to be one of the better schools and has a good athletic program. As for Catholic Schools there is Sante Fe Catholic (maybe not one of the better) and also St. Josephs Catholic School, both in Lakeland. I think there is also Victory Christian, and Sonrise Christian, those two are some what smaller than Lakeland Christian and All Saints.
I hope I have been some what helpful, Lakeland is pretty much the center point between Tampa and Orlando, there is just no easy way to get to either one, without going out and around or hitting heavy traffic at rush hour.
I have lived in the area a very long time, and have some insight on the areas to avoid, etc. In my opinion I would live in south Lakeland area, check out 33813, 33811 zip codes, Lakeland Highlands area, south of downtown, south of I-4.
Feel free to PM, and I will try to answer any specific questions you may have. Check out my posts, I have answered a lot about Lakeland (skip over the part that I am not crazy about Lakeland, but that is me, a lot of people love it here.)

Old 05-05-2015, 07:54 PM

Default thank you

Thank you so much for the feedback! I sent a private message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:57 PM

213 posts, read 659,740 times
wow, must take a while for the private messages to show up, I don't see anything. I will keep checking though

Old 05-07-2015, 06:58 AM

299 posts, read 377,535 times
I live in zip code 33813.. Valley View Elementary, Lakeland Highlands Middle, and George Jenkins High are all great schools. Depending on what part of Tampa and Orlando you are working at will determine the severity of the traffic. Without traffic I can get to the Tampa Airport in 45 minutes. Orlando 1 hr 15 mins.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:13 PM

Lake Nona Area, Medical City and Downtown Tampa off West Gandy Blvd

Old 05-08-2015, 09:00 AM

299 posts, read 377,535 times
I wasn't quite sure where the medical center was. That is not so bad traffic wise as you will get off the interstate before it is to bad.. the trouble is you will be paying a lot in tolls. From the interstate to there is about $5.00 in tolls one way. If you have to go the polk parkway to get to the interstate that is more. Depending on were West of Gandy will be a difference. Gandy is not near Downtown. Is that Medical center part of a system?

Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 AM

Thoughts on Master Planned Communities Bridge water.. It looks so nice and right off i-4
Family friendly? Retirees? Ammenties look endless...

Thoughts?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:06 PM

147 posts, read 211,727 times
Check out Bridgewater if you are looking for an area with an easy commute. It's in an up and coming area just off I-4. Homes range from the mid 100's and up. They have a pool, clubhouse, playground, tennis courts and other amenities. Very beautiful in there.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay