U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 20,485 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some info on the dunedin/clearwater area in terms of family atmosphere? My wife and I have a 2 year old son and may be looking to have another in a few years (after relocating). Also if anyone is a verizon employee (who I work for here in md.) please let me know how it is there...Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 30,900 times
I just moved to Dunedin 2 years ago, but have lived in the surrounding are for the last 16 years. I can tell you that Dunedin has a smaller town feel than Clearwater or many areas in Pinellas County. It has a small downtwn area that has activities that are family oriented at least twice a month. Many arts and craft shows highliting local vendors, as well as outdoor movie viewings in the park, and just a down home feel in general.

There are many family oriented activities that the area in general provides because of its close proximity to the Gulf, and the surrounding beaches. Honeymoon Island state Park is a beautiful, unspoiled beach that is very near by that has a "dog beach", beautiful picnic areas and ferry rides to nearby Caladesi Island, an uninhabited, natural Island that is viewable from a sunset stroll along Edgewater Drive.

I also have a friend that was a building contractor, and was recently laid off, who started working for Verizon in Tampa about 2 months ago, and he is as happy as ever in his new position. If you have aby further questions, feel free to DM me or just post them in the thread and I will be happy to try and answer them, along with the many other knowledgeable people on this forum!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 20,485 times
we have friends that live in Holiday, however, the more I research it sounds like it's not for us. How are the schools in the clearwater/dunedin area? Is the dunedin area walking distance to the gulf? I also have read a lot about people who relocate to some areas on the gulf having a had time "fitting in" with people who don't want them there...any truth to that? And what location does your friend who works for verizon report to? Thanks alot for your responses

Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 AM

367 posts, read 1,579,815 times
Dunedin is a nice settled little town, not on the gulf, but within driving a short distance you can reach honeymoon island. If you want to have good schools, be very close to the gulf beaches and find a community that is settled, very friendly and welcoming to new people, and right in the middle of Pinellas county, then look at Seminole. This is where I live. We have lived here for 7 years, moved from England and knew no one.
My children have gone through the Seminole (and attended Anona elem - which is a wonderful school) school system. My eldest is now at St Pete High because of their magnet and she loves it there. Son is at Seminole High. It's a very safe environment, little crime, mostly petty stuff, and I can drive to the beach in 2 mins, or walk/bike a little longer. We have lots of shops, library facilities, movies screens, rec centers, eating places etc all around us. By the way I don't know where you got the idea of not fitting in from. I have never found people less than very friendly here.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 30,900 times
I agree with spainbrit that Seminole is an excellent area. Not sure about the not fitting in comment either. Everybody here is from somewhere else, so they would have nothing to really say about you being new. I think if you come down and visit, you will find a town you like. It will just take a little driving around and research, and you will find a place to make you happy. There really isn't 1 city where the schools are better than everywhere else that I know of. I will talk to my friend this evening and find out what/where his Verizon branch is.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 AM

849 posts, read 3,295,750 times
Default I agree

My husband substitutes all around Pinellas Co. schools and I would agree with Spainbrit about Seminole. I would not choose Clearwater with a young child. BTW we are going to a neighborhood assignment system in the Fall so your choice of where to live is very important. Seminole is very family friendly and close to beaches. There are some good apt. complexes if you're not ready to buy. It's a little more central since you don't have a job lined up. You won't be far from Largo which has great a cultural center and lots of ops for kids.
Yeah, what's this not fitting in business? Once you establish that you aren't snowbirds and you're here to contribute to the community. not just enjoy what our taxes pay for, you'll be fine. We're Orthodox Jews, talk about not fitting in but we're accepted to the extent we want to be. My husband wears a yarmulke to school and it is more a source of interest than a problem. I get a few stares because I'm usually in a long skirt where most women are in shorts but so what? Who wants to look at my old legs anyway?
Keep an open mind and don't worry unless there's something really strange about y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
Dunedin is a nice settled little town, not on the gulf, but within driving a short distance you can reach honeymoon island. If you want to have good schools, be very close to the gulf beaches and find a community that is settled, very friendly and welcoming to new people, and right in the middle of Pinellas county, then look at Seminole. This is where I live. We have lived here for 7 years, moved from England and knew no one.
My children have gone through the Seminole (and attended Anona elem - which is a wonderful school) school system. My eldest is now at St Pete High because of their magnet and she loves it there. Son is at Seminole High. It's a very safe environment, little crime, mostly petty stuff, and I can drive to the beach in 2 mins, or walk/bike a little longer. We have lots of shops, library facilities, movies screens, rec centers, eating places etc all around us. By the way I don't know where you got the idea of not fitting in from. I have never found people less than very friendly here.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 PM

That's funny Jessiesma
I have a feeling that Seminole property is going to start to improve faster than some other areas, I'm constantly watching the prices, as I want to invest locally, as I feel this is where the growth may start first. The school thing is key. Anywhere in pinellas where there is a known good school system, you are going to see this happen.
I have lived and worked in this area for several years and know it well, so I am rather biased, but in my opinion you cant go wrong. Also if you want a contact for some nice condos to rent before you buy, I know the manager of a complex here. (I do NOT make anything out of referring you either - I have friends who live there and like it, it's pleasant).

Old 01-20-2008, 06:42 PM

849 posts, read 3,295,750 times
Default if we were

Staying here, spainbrit, I'd call you but although we really like Pinellas Co. Specifically, St. Pete. We are city folk grunge and all. We need a Jewish community that is more observant than this one. We were less so when we came here but have developed that side of our lives. I think things will turn around here but people everywhere will have to stop looking for mansion size homes as their starter or even second purchases. Sometimes I look at these prices and think that someone just decided to randomly add a few zeros. I 'd love 4000 sq. ft. too but then who'd clean it? I've heard that Jeeves is retired.

BTW we lived in Tampa for one year! We felt we were serving a life sentence. Actually we left our lease a mont or so early, just couldn't take it and found this lovely place that was supposed to go condo but that's not a big concern right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
That's funny Jessiesma
I have a feeling that Seminole property is going to start to improve faster than some other areas, I'm constantly watching the prices, as I want to invest locally, as I feel this is where the growth may start first. The school thing is key. Anywhere in pinellas where there is a known good school system, you are going to see this happen.
I have lived and worked in this area for several years and know it well, so I am rather biased, but in my opinion you cant go wrong. Also if you want a contact for some nice condos to rent before you buy, I know the manager of a complex here. (I do NOT make anything out of referring you either - I have friends who live there and like it, it's pleasant).

Old 01-21-2008, 05:42 AM

Totally understand. I live in a 2000 sq ft house and that's enough trouble
It would seem spacious if I could get the other 3 of my family to chuck out some of their junk! It's large enough to know that eventually I would like to downsize to something that is more manageable when the children leave me for college and only come back to visit occasionally. Hopefully the market will be better by then LOL

Old 01-21-2008, 11:13 AM

20 posts, read 75,428 times
I lived off Old Coachman Road area and it was great, close to beaches and lots of family activities including the local city rec center on Belcher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay