Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:38 AM

14 posts, read 19,889 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Does any one know a college planning service in Tampa?
I have two sons who are about to be high schoolers and I want to find a college planner to help me find a good high school and choose with me the courses and extra curricular activities that they should do in high school to lead them to a good college.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,764,243 times
Start with community collage admission office. They might guide you a little bit. Good schools are hard to get in to unless you zone to one. Good rule of thumb is A rated school.
Private schools have statistics regarding their students getting into great collages.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:21 AM

7,113 posts, read 8,598,569 times
Any high school with an IB program is a good start and you don't have to be zoned for that school...it is based on merit...once in the program your child will receive hands on direction as to what after school activities and required volunteer hours they should participate in. Just make sure your child enjoys those activities or it will be a lonnnnng 4 years!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,062,539 times
advice from fellow parents in the schools where they are now helps - its a learning process, not every path works for every child, so you have to source your info from many areas. its a learning process as much for you as it is for the children.

My experience is that a well rounded resume is good for applicants for colleges if they are not genius, hugely talented in some extra curricular activity or you can afford to pay for everything.

Clearly good grades and GPAs and SAT/ACT scores matter the major FL colleges (public) are competitive as they handle so many applications for FL students on Bright Futures and other scholarships, then there are the out of state students, who find FL tuition so much less than where they may come from.

For the student who doesn't succeed at freshman year to one of these - SPC or Hillsborough CC are good alternatives or the local community colleges in Orlando/Tallahasee/Gainesville if those are your areas of interest for USF/UCF/FSU/UF so they can obtain an AA degree and transfer in is usually not so difficult then (but not guaranteed) Also local schools like SPC now offer 4 yr degrees in conjunction with some bigger universities and some high schools even offer dual enrollment so by senior year a student may already have an AA to graduate with too! Lots of options, all depends on what will fit your family.

good luck - I am almost at the end of that journey now -

Old 05-31-2015, 03:22 PM

6,583 posts, read 4,958,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Any high school with an IB program is a good start and you don't have to be zoned for that school...it is based on merit...once in the program your child will receive hands on direction as to what after school activities and required volunteer hours they should participate in. Just make sure your child enjoys those activities or it will be a lonnnnng 4 years!
IB high schools are still assigned by address. The district has several IB high schools they divide them by regions so you can only go to the IB program in your region. The volunteer hours you are talking about are the CAS hours that are a requirement for the IB diploma not related specifically to any college per se. However I do agree that IB programs are the most academically demanding in terms of public education therefore geared towards college and they have the resources the OP could use, I am not sure mechanically how that would work if you can walk in as a visitor and get some time with the counselors. The education boards I am sure are filled with useful information in terms of what admission departments look for.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
IB high schools are still assigned by address. The district has several IB high schools they divide them by regions so you can only go to the IB program in your region. The volunteer hours you are talking about are the CAS hours that are a requirement for the IB diploma not related specifically to any college per se. However I do agree that IB programs are the most academically demanding in terms of public education therefore geared towards college and they have the resources the OP could use, I am not sure mechanically how that would work if you can walk in as a visitor and get some time with the counselors. The education boards I am sure are filled with useful information in terms of what admission departments look for.
Yes the zoning for Pinellas is split between PHUHS and St.Pete. CCC also now has an IB program too...but it includes a much broader area then the normal zoned school...yes you have CAS and Brightfuture hours but the IB guidance office will really assist students in securing additional volunteer hours...CAS hours are the minimum hours that the IB requires to ensure the students entrance into state universities...if the student wants to aim higher more hours are required...

Old 06-01-2015, 06:56 AM

There is a another public school IB program now at Largo High and next year Largo Middle is doing a pre-IB program
I should mention that if your children are going to high school this coming year and have not applied for IB they are too late
but if its next year, you should be looking at that now. PHU is really over subscribed, not many folks like the idea of going to Largo HS but its the easiest one to get in. Need to live between SR60 and I think around Park Blvd but that might be slightly incorrect. South of there is SPHS north of there is PHU.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Wow didn't know that lavender!!! Hopefully that will take some strain off PHUHS...but it's such a small group to begin with...every year worthy candidates get rejected so this frees up more seats...love the idea of a pre-IB in middle school, it will give the student a glimpse into the programs demands...

Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 AM

It is a tough program for many students particularly in public schools - we had one do it but it was worth it, she breezed through college and masters and was graduating with masters same time as her peers were getting bachelors! Its a certain kind of student though, not for everyone - can be crushing to some

Old 06-01-2015, 06:30 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,005,236 times
I never knew there was such thing as a "college planner". Is that a profession?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay