Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:23 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
So, one suburb is a quicker commute into Tampa than another suburb? I'd also like to know where you're getting your info. Westchase is a short drive away from the Veterans which will drop you directly in front of Westshore mall. 15 minutes tops. You can't even get to I75 from SR60 in 15 mins. New Tampa, at least a portion of it, is in the city of Tampa, so I highly doubt you'd be "getting to Tampa" quicker from Brandon. Granted, I'll give you Carrollwood. It takes a bit of time to get to Tampa. However, if you think that Brandon offers "more entertainment" than either Westchase or Carrollwood, I'd question if you've ever been to Westchase or Carrollwood.

Lived in Brandon for three long, miserable years. I'd say I'm just as qualified to talk about the area as those who just moved there and praise it. Funny how someone who's brand new to the area is allowed to speak positively about it without being questioned, but someone who spent years there and hated it isn't qualified. Internet logic.

I was more thinking you were referring to downtown tampa. I can hop onto the crosstown and be at the tampa city limit at orient rd in less then 8 minutes.. I can be downtown in less then 15. Not sure why I would want to go to tampa very much other then downtown for entertainment. Good luck with all that entertainment westchase or carrolwood have. Not sure what they would have that the brandon area does not. Lets see houses, parks, chain restaurants, malls, lots of traffic, check check check check. Tell me what I missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:33 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Florida is the same as AZ with the exception of having beaches.

The cookie cutter description you listed for AZ is found EVERYWHERE here too.

South Tampa is more divers architecturally, but you'll have to afford it. Your price range is low for that area.

Florida is just as transient if not more. You're describing your Northern area which does not exist in the south the same way you're describing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Hello all!

I am a complete newbie on this site. I am hoping to gather opinions and 'insider' info as Google searches just don't cut it. My family and I are interested in relocating to Tampa. We currently live south of Phoenix, AZ and are tired of the brown desert, extremely hot summers, lack of culture, history and pool life. 6 years is long enough. My husband and I are originally from NJ, we miss the the beach, real green grass yards, rain, thunderstorms, real lakes, the beach and a variety of culture.

Anywhoo, we are now a family of four. 3 year old and 5 month old. We are looking to move within 2 years, so great elementary schools are important to us. I will list what we are looking for and if you could so graciously help point us in the direction of which neighborhood would best suit us, I would be very greatful. I dream of putting my toes in warm sand

We are looking for a neighborhood that is not a 'cookie cutter' development. We live that life now, we never see our neighbors and could care less if all of the houses match. We would prefer to live in a 'lived in' area where the trees are older than I am (29 And where my kids will grow up around other kids that will be lifetime friends. Where we live in AZ it is a very transient area, neighbors come and go..its hard to make friends when they leave every other year. Growing up on the East coast, we had lifetime neighbors. I want that for my girls.

What we are looking for in Tampa

-3 bed 2 bath <1600 sq ft, not too old of a house but not a cookie cutter brand new home. $180k or less
-great neighborhood that is safe, family friendly, kids that play outside. Access to parks nearby.
- in a great elementary school district
-Not more than 30-45 min to the beach
-within 30 mintutes to major shopping (Costco, Target, etc)
- Less than 45 min commute to St. Petersburg or Brandon (not sure yet on job transfer)

Please and thank you for your advice and info!

Old 06-16-2015, 03:22 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

.................snip............................

I see u have never been to AZ.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:48 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Lived in Brandon for three long, miserable years. I'd say I'm just as qualified to talk about the area as those who just moved there and praise it. Funny how someone who's brand new to the area is allowed to speak positively about it without being questioned, but someone who spent years there and hated it isn't qualified. Internet logic.
What was so long/miserable about it and why did you stay for so long?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:19 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

South Tampa is more divers architecturally, but you'll have to afford it. Your price range is low for that area.

Florida is just as transient if not more. You're describing your Northern area which does not exist in the south the same way you're describing it.
What ??? Why do people feel the need to try persuade someone from moving here and state crazy claims. Coming from NJ the op probably will feel more comfortable anyway considering the fact Arizona is known to attract more Midwestern transplants than Northeastern compared to Florida. Also cookie cutter communities do exist here but Arizona is not even developed like Florida so comparing the two is neither here or there. Apples to Oranges as Arizona is not the east coast at all.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What was so long/miserable about it
No entertainment for young individuals, TERRIBLE job prospects, some of the least educated individuals I've ever met, and the first time I've seen used heroine needles along the sidewalk on the way to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
and why did you stay for so long?
It would be easy to move had their been better job prospects and I could have afforded a car to look for a job in Tampa. It took three years, but I was finally able to find something that would allow me to move.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:27 PM

240 posts, read 286,898 times
There are no lakes to swim in here in Florida. Not like up north.
Too many dangerous predators like alligators. Why not go back to NJ? And Florida is full of transients. I'd just get a sandbox to put my toes in if I were you, rather than move here.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
Too many dangerous predators like alligators. Why not go back to NJ? And Florida is full of transients. I'd just get a sandbox to put my toes in if I were you, rather than move here.
Are you being serious? Lol

Old 06-16-2015, 08:32 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
No entertainment for young individuals, TERRIBLE job prospects, some of the least educated individuals I've ever met, and the first time I've seen used heroine needles along the sidewalk on the way to work.

It would be easy to move had their been better job prospects and I could have afforded a car to look for a job in Tampa. It took three years, but I was finally able to find something that would allow me to move.
I could understand how a young, broke, individual w/ no car could have a hard time finding good entertainmeint no matter where they live.

I can't comment on there being a lot of uneducated people living in Brandon because I don't ask people there IQ score or what level of education they have so honestly I have no idea about that, lol.

As far as finding syringes on the ground on your way to work, I'm sure you have considering that Florida had a pretty big problem w/ the pain management clinics and since the Fed's came down on the Dr's a lot of them closed up shop and now the addicts find heroin a lot easier/cheaper to get. You might see more syringes on your way to work now that you moved to Tampa since it was ground zero for the pain clinics. Especially when your walking thru the kind of neighborhoods where broke people live. You can find all kinds of things on the ground while walking no matter where you live though.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:13 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
You sound angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay