Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:19 AM

819 posts, read 1,407,676 times

Advertisements

I LOVE the paella at the Columbia, but it takes a long time to prepare. Most of the other food there I just think is ho hum. Not a fan of the dance show, it's like being in a room with someone stomping on a wood box for 20 minutes; you can't talk with your dining companions and you end up with a headache.

Some other random restaurants I like:

If you're a fan of scallops, Castille restaurant in Hotel Zamora on St Pete Beach has an incredible scallops meal; largest scallops I've ever seen, and taste to match. Three are the dinner portion and you will be full.

A couple blocks away in the Don Cesar hotel is the Maritana Grille which has an excellent venison when it's in season. The rest of their food is great, but very expensive, so I tend to only go when they have venison.

I agree on the recommendations for Berns, just keep in mind that it's a love/hate restaurant for most people, from what I've seen amongst people I've taken there. Some people greatly prefer Ruth's Chris-style steaks that come out sizzling, some prefer Berns dry aged steaks. Berns has a 100 day aged delmonico that I am in love with, and my wife loves the chateau briand (a more specific cut of filet). If you're a wine drinker, they have the largest private wine collection in the country, so pretty sure you can get one you like. Other than that, the place is run down, looks like an old brothel, mandatory $5 valet, is dirty inside, but they keep the lights low so you dont notice, some of the servers can be very condescending while others are absolutely incredible. We go there every few months but sometimes the place really annoys me. Also watch out when you get the bill, they have a weird concept of including a 12% gratuity on the charge, so you can add from there, but I've often seen people not notice that and end up tipping another 20%.

Oyster Catcher in Tampa offers some great sunset views over the water and excellent sea food of all types.

Getting a bit, to a lot, more casual, if you want some good ol BBQ, Jazzy's in Tampa is awesome. For burgers, Engine #9 in St Pete is the best I've had. For Cuban sandwiches, The Floridian in Treasure Island, excellent. Last but not least, Skippers Smokehouse (it's also a concert venue) in Tampa has a grouper reuben that I love, and gator chilli; they're closed Mondays, every other evening they have live music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 08:20 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,840,940 times
It's really sad when people think the Columbia and the Colonnade most represent Tampa cuisine. Both of those restaurants are simply atrocious in terms of the food. No self-respecting Spaniard or Latino would think the slop they serve at Columbia is good. And no self-respecting seafood lover or fisherman would think the same of Colonnade.

For an outdoorsy, very casual Florida experience, go to Star Fish Company in Cortez (only in autumn/winter; summer is grotesquely hot)
For a decent dinner with great service, go to Eddie V's, Roy's, Osteria Natalina or Bern's. Capital Grille can also always be relied on.
For lunch, not many options, I would likely go with Oxford Exchange simply for the atmosphere.
If you want Latin food, La Pequena Colombia is great food but don't expect great service.
Sushi Alive has the best sushi/Japanese in Tampa.

Of course, since these places are all very popular, either make a reservation or make sure you go at an off-peak time (like 3 p.m.).

Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
Surprised no one mentioned Hooter's.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:16 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
If I was not from here and someone drove me from ybor to one of the places on Florida or Nebraska I might think I was being taken to a warehouse to have my organs harvested and then dumped on the side of the road
You also think that "suitcase city" stretches from Fowler to Bearss, what's your point?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:35 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,799,171 times
Berns for steak and/or dessert. Bern's Steak House is a unique culinary experience

The Columbia for Spanish food - do the one in Ybor since it's the original. Columbia Restaurant - Florida’s Oldest Restaurant

Ulele, just because it's yummy and really cool and owned by a very old and famous Tampa family. Ulele - Tampa Restaurant Now Open On Tampa's Riverwalk.

Frenchy's, Thirsty Marlin, or Salt Rock Grill for seafood. (Thirsty Marlin is my favorite of the 3! Salt Rock is a finer diner experience - the other two are more casual. https://frenchysonline.com/ Thirsty Marlin | best of bay seafood lobster steak burgers sandwiches wraps quesadillas Salt Rock Grill

Marker 39 or Green Springs Bistro for Floribbean. (Both in Safety Harbor and both are AMAZING.) Marker 39 Floribbean Cuisine | Safety Harbor Restaurants Green Springs Bistro - Gulf coast cookin' . . . and then some

Parts of Paris for French. Parts of Paris French Bistro

Strachan's for ice cream. Strachan

Sun Groves for orange and vanilla swirled soft serve - seriously the best you'll ever have. Gift Fruits, florida oranges, grapefruits, gift baskets, fundraising, florida citrus - Sun Groves Oranges

Casa Tina's for Mexican - great atmosphere! Yummy food! Casa Tina Mexican Restaurant

La Teresita or Pipos for Cuban. Pipos' Cafe Cuban Food and Latin Food Restaurant located in Tampa, Florida Pipo's offers Traditional Cuban and Spanish dishes

Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
The Columbia for Spanish food - do the one in Ybor since it's the original. Columbia Restaurant - Florida’s Oldest Restaurant

Ulele, just because it's yummy and really cool and owned by a very old and famous Tampa family. Ulele - Tampa Restaurant Now Open On Tampa's Riverwalk.
Ulele and The Columbia are owned by the same guy. That said, I, personally, didn't care for Ulele, however, a lot of other people love it. I'll have to check it out again.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:40 AM

745 posts, read 800,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Ulele and The Columbia are owned by the same guy. That said, I, personally, didn't care for Ulele, however, a lot of other people love it. I'll have to check it out again.
It's the new trendy place, darling of the "we took an abandoned warehouse and turned it into a trendy bar/restaurant" crowd

See "hipster guy/gal who always goes to seminole heights bars"

Old 06-18-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
It's the new trendy place, darling of the "we took an abandoned warehouse and turned it into a trendy bar/restaurant" crowd

See "hipster guy/gal who always goes to seminole heights bars"
They have some funny looking hipsters out there. Everyone I saw at Ulele was about 30-40. But hey, I guess restaurants with impressive wine cellars are where hipsters go. Look at Bern's.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Yep. The Gonzmart Family.

Check it out again - I went for lunch once and thought the food was good, but not as amazing as I kept hearing. I went for dinner another time, and everything was delicious! Their candied duck maple bacon fried ice cream, coconut ice cream, and meatloaf are wonderful. I also like the okra fries, and I don't even care for okra!

Old 06-18-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
They have some funny looking hipsters out there. Everyone I saw at Ulele was about 30-40. But hey, I guess restaurants with impressive wine cellars are where hipsters go. Look at Bern's.
True. It's fun to go and see who shows up there! Lots of plastic surgery and money walking through those doors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay