Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:49 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times

Advertisements

My thoughts: Not so much that there isn't seasons. Each one here does have somewhat of a unique feel. BUT. I don't particularly enjoy April-October weather, and May-September are awful for me. I do enjoy November-March, and I enjoy other things about being here, overall, it may not be my "ideal" but it is a pleasant place to be with a good amount to do. An important point to note and what someone said early about physical labor... The reason many people enjoy Florida, is that many people are perfectly content to move from air conditioning to air conditioning if they were able to. Cold, in the short tense, is more immediately unpleasant, especially since so many people do so little to prepare themselves for it (coats, layers, etc.), I understand that and hear that fully. Those who do go outside in Florida, enjoy things like fishing out on the boat, laying by the pool, beach, perhaps golfing, etc. BUT. For people who enjoy outdoor sustained physical activity/exercise, hiking, biking, running, nature etc., I find it hard to believe that a majority of those people would prefer Florida. In fact, a minority do. That is why the people who have those things as passions prominently live in Appalachia, the Midwest and the Pacific Northwest. That is why the variation in preferences exists as it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 AM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
We just don't have the winters we used 2. So anyone that has lived here since around 1990 has not seen a real winter other than 95-96 and 2010.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:13 AM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
This thread reminds me of a Seinfeld episode. Jerry talks of older people moving to Florida, loving the heat, pretending it isn't hot enough Etc..
I have lived in FL since 1977, only leaving for one Summer in TN and one Winter in Pa due to work.
I would prefer to live where there are 4 seasons. I also get tired of the pounding heat.
I think TN or NC would suit me.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 AM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
Default Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
My thoughts: Not so much that there isn't seasons. Each one here does have somewhat of a unique feel. BUT. I don't particularly enjoy April-October weather, and May-September are awful for me. I do enjoy November-March, and I enjoy other things about being here, overall, it may not be my "ideal" but it is a pleasant place to be with a good amount to do. An important point to note and what someone said early about physical labor... The reason many people enjoy Florida, is that many people are perfectly content to move from air conditioning to air conditioning if they were able to. Cold, in the short tense, is more immediately unpleasant, especially since so many people do so little to prepare themselves for it (coats, layers, etc.), I understand that and hear that fully. Those who do go outside in Florida, enjoy things like fishing out on the boat, laying by the pool, beach, perhaps golfing, etc. BUT. For people who enjoy outdoor sustained physical activity/exercise, hiking, biking, running, nature etc., I find it hard to believe that a majority of those people would prefer Florida. In fact, a minority do. That is why the people who have those things as passions prominently live in Appalachia, the Midwest and the Pacific Northwest. That is why the variation in preferences exists as it does.
I agree 100%. Just another thing, I have a lot of friends retiring here in FL. But very few are staying in FL. Most are moving to NC, TN, North Ga. These are younger retirees in their 50s or early 60s who all talk of milder weather to enjoy the outdoors.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:15 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

I don't get it. People move to FL or are natives and complain it's hot. It's the most southern state. Surprise!

Old 06-20-2015, 10:36 AM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Welll today is insane with this deep reverse west windflow. Walk outside and get slapped in the face.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:57 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Absolutely the reason NC has a 'half-back' moniker for people who mover from the severe and cold winters of Anyplace, USA to FL, AZ or one of those continually sunny states, then HATE that and move to NC...half way back to what they left.
Come on dowwwwwwwwwn! Charlotte is growing and thriving! So are Raleigh and that tirad! IF you must have ocean...NC has a coast, too!
That's my line of thinking anyway. It's a good middle ground.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's my line of thinking anyway. It's a good middle ground.
For me, NC (and SC and GA) weather is neither fish nor fowl. Their winters are too cold for too long and their summers are pretty darn close to FL's.

After 10 years of retirement in AZ and Central MX, my blood has thinned and I cannot abide cold.

I'm only (!) 60 y/o. But here in FL I still bike, golf and walk (min. 2 miles a day), year-round. I lived in PA and then VA for the first 50 years of my life and am glad to be anywhere warm.

But yes everyone has different needs/wants. Me, I can't stand temps below 80...I figure by the time I hit 70, I'll need to live on Venus.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:11 PM

473 posts, read 543,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I love the four seasons of florida. To me we start the year:

January- February.... Our coldest weather of the season This is when I will use my fireplaces Inside and outside.
Set the Jacuzzi to 102.

March-April-Mid-May.. Spring time is here! Yea, Time to get back outside and clean up the yard from all the winter damage..Set the Jacuzzi to 95.

MId-May-Mid-October... Summer time my friends. Fire up the grills and smoker, Put on the bathing suit and sunscreen. Get the blender ready, restock the little umbrellas for my wifey. Fill up the ice chest with some adult beverages. Turn on the Ipod and play my summer time tunes. Turn the heat off the Jacuzzi!

Mid-Oct-Dec... Put on the football jersey, put more food on the grill, Put the shot glasses in the freezer. Turn on the TV to Sunday Ticket. Take Selfies of our great time outside and send it to our northern friends. Set the Jacuzzi back up to 90-95.

Rinse and Repeat, Its not for everyone but it works for me.
This is us to a tee, and the house we are renting has a Jacuzzi, cant wait for the log cold winter....lol

Old 06-20-2015, 02:15 PM

473 posts, read 543,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Absolutely the reason NC has a 'half-back' moniker for people who mover from the severe and cold winters of Anyplace, USA to FL, AZ or one of those continually sunny states, then HATE that and move to NC...half way back to what they left.
Come on dowwwwwwwwwn! Charlotte is growing and thriving! So are Raleigh and that tirad! IF you must have ocean...NC has a coast, too!

We definitely will not be moving back north, if anything we'll move farther south, Fort Myers, the Keys, the Caribbean.......who knows.

We do love the Virginia and the Carolina's in the summer, the beaches are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay