Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 AM

33 posts, read 57,079 times

Advertisements

Lutz, Land o Lakes, Carrollwood, Wesley Chapel, Westchase, and any other similiar areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 12:06 PM

745 posts, read 801,562 times
Land O Lakes, Land O Lakes and Westchase is going to be a mixed bag because it's so rural. LoL and Westchase is also Pasco County, whose schools are less good.

Carrolwood is good, Westchase is good

Old 06-23-2015, 01:36 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
There is this website called: "greatschools.net" that does all sorts of ratings. Most people here are either retired, or not involved with these schools to give you a good idea!

Not to mention just how "subjective" this really is.

The schools here are VERY CROWDED! ...and that does reflect on learning a lot.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:42 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
My personal favorite story about Ben Hill Middle School ("Carrolwood") is having a friend who had a stroke at a VERY young age while at the school. Instead of getting him to the hospital, the assistant principal (who, last I heard, is now principal at a local elementary school) and the student resource officer (who, last I checked, still works there) decided to gather all of his friends, take us all into the room he's having his stroke in, make a big ordeal out of it, and ask everybody in the room who slipped him the ecstasy. He finally did get to the hospital, but the rest of us were vigorously interrogated until the hospital drug test results came back. Since then, I've never been able to say anything positive about that school.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
My personal favorite story about Ben Hill Middle School ("Carrolwood") is having a friend who had a stroke at a VERY young age while at the school. Instead of getting him to the hospital, the assistant principal (who, last I heard, is now principal at a local elementary school) and the student resource officer (who, last I checked, still works there) decided to gather all of his friends, take us all into the room he's having his stroke in, make a big ordeal out of it, and ask everybody in the room who slipped him the ecstasy. He finally did get to the hospital, but the rest of us were vigorously interrogated until the hospital drug test results came back. Since then, I've never been able to say anything positive about that school.
......and let's not forget how a Sickles High School student made national headlines when she went without underwear for the school photo day!
Sickles High School Yearbook Photo: 16yo Admits “I Wasn’t Wearing Panties”

Old 06-23-2015, 02:59 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Land O Lakes, Land O Lakes and Westchase is going to be a mixed bag because it's so rural. LoL and Westchase is also Pasco County, whose schools are less good.

Carrolwood is good, Westchase is good
Uh, Westchase is in Hillsborough County, not Pasco.

Land O Lakes is Pasco County.

Westchase is an excellent area and schools, as is Lutz. That's coming from a former school district employee, not a retiree. For that matter I worked at the middle school in Wesley Chapel a few years back and it was very good, too. Wiregrass HS that is up there is seriously overcrowded and will be for some time.

None of the schools in Hillsborough County mentioned above are overcrowded.

So much for those in the know....rather that use their "subjective" and rather inaccurate opinions, I would suggest you visit the school district web sites, where you will find the individual web sites for each school with plenty of accurate and current data on enrollment and school ratings.

Greatschools is truly a subjective site with the exception of the school grades, which come from the state. However, their data isn't very timely if you look closely at it.

RM

Old 06-23-2015, 05:42 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
I don't think the same person could have personal experience with all above mentioned schools.

I would definitely stay away from Wesley Chapel schools for now. Mainly from middle and high due to them being extremely overcrowded. I would look into FishHawk or Luzt school, they are rated 9 or 10 out of 10 for a reason.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Uh, Westchase is in Hillsborough County, not Pasco.

Land O Lakes is Pasco County.

Westchase is an excellent area and schools, as is Lutz. That's coming from a former school district employee, not a retiree. For that matter I worked at the middle school in Wesley Chapel a few years back and it was very good, too. Wiregrass HS that is up there is seriously overcrowded and will be for some time.

None of the schools in Hillsborough County mentioned above are overcrowded.

So much for those in the know....rather that use their "subjective" and rather inaccurate opinions, I would suggest you visit the school district web sites, where you will find the individual web sites for each school with plenty of accurate and current data on enrollment and school ratings.

Greatschools is truly a subjective site with the exception of the school grades, which come from the state. However, their data isn't very timely if you look closely at it.

RM
& yours is one opinion just like mine! Probably "favoring" the "district" a lot more than what parents actually think and see first hand.

We like Westchase a lot better than Lutz. I won't go to Wesley Chapel simply because that area is abysmal! Overcrowded is an understatement.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
& yours is one opinion just like mine! Probably "favoring" the "district" a lot more than what parents actually think and see first hand.

We like Westchase a lot better than Lutz. I won't go to Wesley Chapel simply because that area is abysmal! Overcrowded is an understatement.
While I'll ignore your snide comment, since it seems to be your nature to denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with you, I'll gladly point out that I have direct "first hand" experience with the Hillsborough County schools listed, as well as with John Long Middle School, at which I taught at for a semester.

Hardly an opinion when the comment is based on direct experience.

Oh, and Lutz Prep is a very good charter school, too. And yes, I am in a position to state facts about it since I'm close friends with the former headmistress and also did some work there as well.

Unlike some in this forum I don't offer opinions on such matters, only information based on direct experience. Otherwise I stay out of the conversation.

RM

Old 06-24-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
While I'll ignore your snide comment, since it seems to be your nature to denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with you, I'll gladly point out that I have direct "first hand" experience with the Hillsborough County schools listed, as well as with John Long Middle School, at which I taught at for a semester.

Hardly an opinion when the comment is based on direct experience.

Oh, and Lutz Prep is a very good charter school, too. And yes, I am in a position to state facts about it since I'm close friends with the former headmistress and also did some work there as well.

Unlike some in this forum I don't offer opinions on such matters, only information based on direct experience. Otherwise I stay out of the conversation.

RM
I have no problem with anyone disagreeing, I have a problem with those who don't have my direct experience, and are either telling fairy tale stories, or share broad opinions. It is 1 thing to share your opinion based on your experience, which in my case is "overcrowding" due to the exodus coming from the NE, and a whole other to discount that when you don't share the same experience.

This has repercussions because 1. Not everyone can afford private schools, or charter, and 2. because Hillsborough county, as I am sure others do the same, shuffle children like candy and thanks to that moronic practice they don't get to make long lasting friendships anymore either aside from having teachers overwhelmed with making sure all kids understand the material at the same time. The transient factor doesn't help either!

The other thing that I am not too fond off is the cliques at the front office and with the principal and assistant principal(not sure why the principal needs an assistant) but they play really $hitty games with kids placement with the teachers and that has proved detrimental for my kids more than once. They are not willing to understand parents concerns at all, and act entitled which is disgusting.

So, my experience with a few elementary schools is not exactly "great". Respect that, then I will stop making snide comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay