Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
1986? Now I feel better about myself. I was talking to a young woman today and mentioned Black Monday (October '87) She said "I wasn't even born yet."

Getting back to the weather, FL can get very cold. It was only 19 in Pensacola over the New Year's weekend with wind chills in the single digits. I lived in SWFL for 2 decades and I often turned on the heat in October. But the cold doesn't last and there are days in Dec when the temperature reaches 80-something. Good for tourism, however.

Regarding NC, the weather where I am is very different from Raleigh. I took a walk after 8 tonight and had to go back to get a sweatshirt.
We used to have cold winters in Tampa. 19 on Xmas day of 83 and a high of 38. We had a few super freezes back in the 80's. Since 1990 every winter has been above normal other than 95-96 and 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 08:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Yes, SH, I did. You are arriving a little late on this one.

If you read the earlier posts, you'd see that I was saying that while NC also gets hot, it doesnt compare to FL's heat. The question is about it being hot or not, we all know that. The thing that started this was someone saying its hotter in X than Y.
I would expect that the farther south I go the warmer its going to be. There should be no question that the temperatures in FL are HIGHER than NC for longer periods of time due to the simple fact that FL is closer to the equator. Consequently, South FL is hotter than North FL for the same reason. I dont see why there is any question. The constant battle over which is warmer is ridiculous.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times
Quote:
It is not as hot in NC as it is in FL. Period. Sure, maybe some days its equal, but in general, no. It stay hotter longer, the temps reach its peak much earlier in the day, and it stays warmer later in the day. Yes, it gets hot in Raleigh, not debating that, but overall NC is NOT as hot as FL. People leave FL EVERYDAY, in droves for NC. One reason is the mild temps.

Funny you say that, because we moved FROM North Carolina (Raleigh area) TO Florida (Palm Harbor) BECAUSE we like the year round weather better in Florida.

While Florida is warmer longer, no doubt, the Raleigh area was often 95-105 degrees actual temperature in the summer during the seven years we lived there. That was with the same or higher humidity as Florida and NO seabreeze at all. Just stagnant, thick air. When we moved to a coastal town in Florida, it felt cooler to us in the summer.. It is usually only 88-92 at our house in the summer, WITH a wonderful breeze every single day. Inland of course is warmer, but we don't live there. Been here almost three years now and still love it. We did not care for the NC winters at all. Much too cold for way too long, for us. There are only a handful of days we do not care for in Florida and those are when it is unusually cold a day here or there in the winter.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:42 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Everybody has different likes and dis-likes with weather. The thing is people should, for their own well being, be where the weather suits them best.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Everybody has different likes and dis-likes with weather. The thing is people should, for their own well being, be where the weather suits them best.
Yep

Old 07-07-2015, 03:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Yup! I've said this over and over again on different threads. I am one of those people who gets restless no matter where I live. I like warm weather, cool weather, mountains, beaches, and you can't have it all unless you've got the money to own 2 or 3 homes or travel a lot. One friend calls me Goldilocks.

By the way, regarding storms and bad weather, there are few places that don't experience disasters once in a while. Hurricane Sandy devastated areas of New York and New Jersey. I remember watching the news when flooding from Irene washed away homes in Vermont. The Midwest has tornadoes, Calif has mudslides and earthquakes. Parts of Texas went from the worst drought conditions in decades one year to the worst flooding in decades. Florida has a hurricane once every several years and people say "OMG, I'd never live in Florida. Too many hurricanes."

Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
I would expect that the farther south I go the warmer its going to be. There should be no question that the temperatures in FL are HIGHER than NC for longer periods of time due to the simple fact that FL is closer to the equator. Consequently, South FL is hotter than North FL for the same reason. I dont see why there is any question. The constant battle over which is warmer is ridiculous.

I agree, you'd have to ask the guy that mentions it being hotter in NC than FL one day back in 1986, the yr I was born.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:43 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Funny you say that, because we moved FROM North Carolina (Raleigh area) TO Florida (Palm Harbor) BECAUSE we like the year round weather better in Florida.

While Florida is warmer longer, no doubt, the Raleigh area was often 95-105 degrees actual temperature in the summer during the seven years we lived there. That was with the same or higher humidity as Florida and NO seabreeze at all. Just stagnant, thick air. When we moved to a coastal town in Florida, it felt cooler to us in the summer.. It is usually only 88-92 at our house in the summer, WITH a wonderful breeze every single day. Inland of course is warmer, but we don't live there. Been here almost three years now and still love it. We did not care for the NC winters at all. Much too cold for way too long, for us. There are only a handful of days we do not care for in Florida and those are when it is unusually cold a day here or there in the winter.

Different strokes for different folks.

Where are you from originally? I think NC has 4 mild seasons. In fact, I read somewhere recently that one specific area around Asheville is THE closest to perfect climate you can get.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Where are you from originally? I think NC has 4 mild seasons. In fact, I read somewhere recently that one specific area around Asheville is THE closest to perfect climate you can get.
California and Massachusetts. Born in MA, but then we moved to CA a week later. Then years later we moved back to MA.

The thing about "perfect climate" articles is that not everyone likes the same type of weather, so what is perfect for one may be awful for another. Then there is the effect of weather on people with certain medical issues.

What I don't understand is why some people cannot grasp that some people actually like the weather in Florida, including summer. I like the very mild change of seasons here, versus the more extreme change of seasons. But that is just me, and my wife, and my son, and my aunt, and my father-in-law, etc, etc.

I totally understand why some people do not like the summers here, yet some other people cannot understand why some of us do like the summers here. Why can't the understanding go both ways? Why can't people understand that we are not all the same?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:22 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
Sorry........Just kidding

I'll be down for good in 12 days and everyone said I'll start complaining about the heat when I get there, so I figured I would start practicing early ................LOL

Truth is, I will never complain.......I love it
Stay out in it all day, every day, and at night as well, away from the beaches, for two solid weeks and then tell us what you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Come on down,you'll love it.
Forget the naysayers and begrudgers - fact is almost everyone I know who has moved to Florida has never,ever regretted their move.
I can take sunny,hot and humid every day of the year particularly as going for a walk to my local bar in the evening does't require dressing like Nanook of the North.��
I didn't "regret" my move because I don't regret anything I do in life, but man was I the happiest person in my NE state I moved to after that when that snow started falling. I dreamed of snow during FL's horrifying summers, (where yes, I did indeed work outdoors...no a/c the entire work day). I'll take cold and snow any day to FL summers. You may as well just put your house on the surface of the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Some people love living in Alaska. So what? I never can understand why people on the Florida forums continue to argue about the weather year after year. Some people love a juicy steak and I just made blueberry pancakes with maple syrup for dinner. Does that mean I'm wrong or just have different taste?

In general most of Florida is very hot and muggy for several months. If you love it, good for you. I know people who tell me "the hotter the better." But there are millions of people who like cooler weather and can't tolerate the long, hot FL summers. Get over it.
Most of those people go from their air conditioned house to their air conditioned car to their air conditioned work place, back to their air conditioned car, to the air conditioned store, and then back to their air conditioned home. Well yeah, it's totally doable like that, (although I did get sick and tired of showering, looking great before walking out the door only to be melted in the five minutes it took me to get to my air conditioned car to get to work).

I remember when Wilma came around, and we all lost electricity. For once the weather was kind. The week that my building was without power, the weather was mild, and it was actually kind of fun to go out, mingle with the neighbors, walk around looking at the destruction, (after it was over of course, not during), and open the windows to let in the nice cool air. Other than that, the only time I turned off my a/c was for one or two weeks in the "winter" time because it can actually get cold in the winters....especially when you drive airboats for a living.

If one works outside all day in that summer heat, it's a different story. My co-workers were natives to Florida, so it's not like they didn't know, and they still complained EVERY. SINGLE. SUMMER about how dreadfully hot and miserable it was. (Let's not even talk about the tourists who didn't realize just how humid it could get.)

By the way, Houston, TX is far, far worse when it comes to the heat and humidity of south FL. I was there before I moved to FL and I think that is what made it even possible for me to deal with the hell blazing hot/humid FL summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay