Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 16,004 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to transfer to USF during the fall of "08" with my boyfriend. I'll be attending the tampa campus and he most likely be attending the st.petersburg campus. We need help locating safe cities around the campuses and nice condos rent range prob from $600-$1200. I have no idea where to even start so any advice will be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi41 View Post
I'm looking to transfer to USF during the fall of "08" with my boyfriend. I'll be attending the tampa campus and he most likely be attending the st.petersburg campus. We need help locating safe cities around the campuses and nice condos rent range prob from $600-$1200. I have no idea where to even start so any advice will be great.
Who wants to commute over the bridge? Who wants to be closer to campus, or are you looking for something in the middle?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:48 PM

367 posts, read 1,687,082 times
Maybe the area around Feather Sound might work.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,121 times
Default That's St. Pete

which means she'll be the one to cross the bridge and fight the Tampa traffic. Maybe they should split it by living in Westshore???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
Maybe the area around Feather Sound might work.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Default do you have to

study at the Tampa campus? I know some of the majors are only there but one of you is going to have a terrible commute or both of you are going to have pretty draining ones. The St. Pete side or parts in between are much nicer for living that the area near USF. New Tampa is just too far for him. Another good compromise area is Carrollwood. It's part of Tampa. You could even look at Citrus Park but as I said the commute for one of you is going to be unpleasant or not so nice for both of you. I guess if you must study at the different campuses the best bet is the compromise of West Tampa someplace. Tampa is huge and one of you is going to have to make the long crossing over the Bay. Actually although I much prefer st. Pete for everything, I think he should be the one to do the crossing because it's mostly interstate. You will have to contend with city streets anyway so don't complicate it with the crossing which can be difficult in winter fog. Although you'd be on I-275 after the bridge there is a long construction project, 3 years, that's making commuting hell. In that scenario, Carrollwood or Citrus Park would be a good choice.From Citrus Park you'd just be on city streets and he could get on the Veterans and miss the worse of the 275 construction. They're good safe areas next to each other and have everything. You can find in your price range there.

Quote:

Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,927 times
A kind of in the middle place would be South Tampa areas like Hyde Park, SOHO, Palma Ceia areas. You can find apts, condos for your price range. She would take 275 North to Tampa campus, he would take 275 South to St. pete campus, both would be about a 30/35 minute ride with NO traffic. At least you would be living in a safe area, lots of young college and young professionals around, lots of entertainment, restaurants, cafe, theater, etc...nearby.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 16,004 times
Smile how about community colleges..?

well i guess if anything im gonna try to be closer. We talked about it and i'd be taking classes mon-fri and he will prob just do community college twice a week so it would prob be smarter to get somewhere closer to the tampa campus. Only smarter for him if needed not to have the better commute just cuz it would only be twice a week. How are the community colleges? i know here in mass there are some community colleges that arent so great and are there any possibly near USF tampa campus..?? thanks everyone for the help!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 AM

Default good question

Tampa is in Hillsborough County so the CC is Hillsborough County CC with campuses all over including in Ybor (a section of Tampa) and on Dale Mabry. It's nothing spectacular. I can't remember if they've gone to a 4 yr. prog. yet. What's he want to study? The other option is St. Petersburg Coll. They have campuses all over Pinellas Co. a lot of programs in Clearwater and have gone 4 year. Because of the 4 year thing, I'd think they'd be the better option but it depends on his career goals. My husband did a special program at HCCC and they promised placement help. Not only didn't they offer it, they actually told him at this time last year he had time to apply for teaching positions. NOT! This is the time to do it. I've heard that HCC is like this. St. Pete Coll has a big career initiative but I don't know how it performs on the ground.
BTW you probably won't have class on Fri. at USF. There are some scheduled but again it depends on what you're taking.

Even if he does go to St. Pete I agree that you need to be in Tampa, If only to save gas. You will be sitting in traffic so much of the time but you don't want to be too close to USF. Check out all the areas people here have mentioned but if he does go to Pinellas Co. even 2x week New Tampa is kinda far.

Quote:
well i guess if anything im gonna try to be closer. We talked about it and i'd be taking classes mon-fri and he will prob just do community college twice a week so it would prob be smarter to get somewhere closer to the tampa campus. Only smarter for him if needed not to have the better commute just cuz it would only be twice a week. How are the community colleges? i know here in mass there are some community colleges that arent so great and are there any possibly near USF tampa campus..?? thanks everyone for the help!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:04 AM

20 posts, read 69,854 times
Avoid the areas right around USF Tampa campus! It's commonly known as "suitcase city" and a very bad area. Lots of crime and drugs.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM

141 posts, read 754,167 times
Temple terrace is very close to the USF Tampa campus (around 10 min) and its completely different than the rundown suitcase city area immediately around usf. Tons of college students looking to live close to school live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay