Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 31,549 times

Advertisements

My friend and his daughter are looking for a place to rent in Tampa near Leto High School that takes Pit Bulls. They have one that's almost six years old, she's an inside dog, and she has arthritis. She's really no threat at all.

Does anyone know where they could find a place that will take their pit? They need a three bedroom, around $900.00 a month. House, duplex, apartment, anything that's decent and will take the dog.

Anyway, thanks everyone! Lemme know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,677,923 times
You won't find an apartment community that will take one. Trust me, I know-I am an assistant manager here in Brandon and I know a lot about other communites in the Tampa Bay area. Pit Bulls are considered a liability and the management companies want nothing to do with them.....even if yours is sweet as pie. Sorry. You should look for a private owner.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,065,236 times
a lot of private owners post ads on craigslist.com. I don't know about that price range, though... good luck.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 PM

65 posts, read 377,163 times
I fielded a question similar to this in the DC forum.

I have rottweiler that's formally trained in German, and is a friendly dog (and waaaaay too nice!). No one would even let me come in to even meet him.

So, as the time came for me to get an apartment (literally, I was a week away from being homeless or giving him to a pound) ...I lied. He doesn't have papers and he's all black, so I say he's a Black Lab. He's 115 pounds with a big flat Rottie head, big shoulders, and a little waist, but no one thinks twice.

My suggestion is that if the dog owner is POSITIVE that their dog is safe and NOT A DANGER TO ANYONE... find a breed that's not on the restricted breed list that most resembles your dog ...and LIE. That's the only way to move into an apartment development with tight dog restrictions.

Pretty much after you move in most places won't even think about you or your dog again. Even if they do become suspicious, as long as your dog doesn't have papers they could never prove otherwise. Besides I'm a firm believer that a dog is only as dangerous as it's owner is careless.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM

582 posts, read 2,031,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellz View Post
My friend and his daughter are looking for a place to rent in Tampa near Leto High School that takes Pit Bulls. They have one that's almost six years old, she's an inside dog, and she has arthritis. She's really no threat at all.

Does anyone know where they could find a place that will take their pit? They need a three bedroom, around $900.00 a month. House, duplex, apartment, anything that's decent and will take the dog.

Anyway, thanks everyone! Lemme know!

that's a lot of baggage a pit bull.there ain't too many owners that would rent to someone with a pitbull because of the liability even though "she's harmless".my suggestion is find a place that pet's are ok and if they don't ask what kind of dog just go with the flow.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:40 PM

22 posts, read 70,648 times
I don't think it would be a good idea to lie because you could very well be found out (the neighbors could complain about your dog) and then you could be out some money for breaking the lease requirements. Not a smart move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyButt View Post
I fielded a question similar to this in the DC forum.

I have rottweiler that's formally trained in German, and is a friendly dog (and waaaaay too nice!). No one would even let me come in to even meet him.

So, as the time came for me to get an apartment (literally, I was a week away from being homeless or giving him to a pound) ...I lied. He doesn't have papers and he's all black, so I say he's a Black Lab. He's 115 pounds with a big flat Rottie head, big shoulders, and a little waist, but no one thinks twice.

My suggestion is that if the dog owner is POSITIVE that their dog is safe and NOT A DANGER TO ANYONE... find a breed that's not on the restricted breed list that most resembles your dog ...and LIE. That's the only way to move into an apartment development with tight dog restrictions.

Pretty much after you move in most places won't even think about you or your dog again. Even if they do become suspicious, as long as your dog doesn't have papers they could never prove otherwise. Besides I'm a firm believer that a dog is only as dangerous as it's owner is careless.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,210,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenDi View Post
I don't think it would be a good idea to lie because you could very well be found out (the neighbors could complain about your dog) and then you could be out some money for breaking the lease requirements. Not a smart move.
You can lie, if it's not pure bread and they can't tell! If it is a pure bread, that's hard. My dog is a huskey mix. Most apartments don't take huskeys. I told them she was just a "mutt." They even met her. Not a problem at all!

I would just contact a private landlord, offer references for the dog, a large deposit, and offer to have them meet the dog.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:45 AM

17 posts, read 84,206 times
I agree with lying about the breed, its a shame that good pet owners have to do that in order to keeps their pets, but you can blame that on arogant people not the animal. When I lived in Clearwater Fl. I could not find a place to live because of my 10yr old Pit Bull. that I would not give up for anyone. What I did was asked her Vet. to change her breed on all of her shot records which he did without hesitating. She is now half Beagle and half Hound. I had no further issues. You can tell that she is Pit but without papers or proof. No landlord can deny or evict you for breed restrictions.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:40 AM

849 posts, read 3,515,397 times
Default keep on lying

and when landlords catch on to "mixed breeds" that look like the more benign they'll start banning all pets the way they used to. not too long ago and still in some areas of the country,you can't get ANY pet into a rental for any amount of money. didn't you ever hear that "honesty is the best policy?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorrissey View Post
I agree with lying about the breed, its a shame that good pet owners have to do that in order to keeps their pets, but you can blame that on arogant people not the animal. When I lived in Clearwater Fl. I could not find a place to live because of my 10yr old Pit Bull. that I would not give up for anyone. What I did was asked her Vet. to change her breed on all of her shot records which he did without hesitating. She is now half Beagle and half Hound. I had no further issues. You can tell that she is Pit but without papers or proof. No landlord can deny or evict you for breed restrictions.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:23 PM

65 posts, read 377,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
and when landlords catch on to "mixed breeds" that look like the more benign they'll start banning all pets the way they used to. not too long ago and still in some areas of the country,you can't get ANY pet into a rental for any amount of money. didn't you ever hear that "honesty is the best policy?"
Sorry, but as long as they need to rent units they'll never stop renting to pet owners. Sure honesty is the best policy if you don't mind putting your pet into a pound that will take your pet and put it to sleep if they cant find a home for it in X days.

Besides that, if your pet is trained and it doesn't hurt anyone, nobody cares. I've never heard of someone getting thrown out of an apartment because the neighbors SUSPECT a pet is a restricted breed. If you think my dog isn't what I say it is I say prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay