Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 11:56 AM

14,937 posts, read 12,132,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
Arent the best medical centers in the country in the NE?

Yea but wages are 15% less than the average nationwide, so they wash or you comeout less when factoring in the increase in insurance costs...

Ever been on Fletcher Ave 9am on a Tuesday, or try to leave a lightning game when there is a convention going on? Think outside your neighborhood and you will find this is really untrue. No public transport either.

You obviously have never been ice fishing on a lake in Wisconsin or Hunting in the spring in Minnesota.

You keep bringing up weather (3rd time) which kinda vailidates my post that you are replying too

Weather/Climate related...again

Endless cookie cutter subdivisions and a city that sprawls 5 counties is your thing? Thats cool

Stopped reading here, average wages are 15% less than the national average.

Weather related again, I think my post stands as accurate.

No, your posts stand as your opinion, in some statements passed off as undocumented fact.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Not just the OP's first post, but all of his other threads and his subsequent replies. I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if he posted about "Hey this is my first week in Florida, and here's what I think so far."...instead it's more like "OMG its so hot and humid!" (when he's actually poking fun at the people saying it's too hot) and "Things I dislike about FL so far!" (when he's actually saying what he likes about FL, and is provoking the so-called negative people.)

He didn't have to do any of that. Why not just post about your experiences? Again, I think others would have contributed to his topics in a different manner if they were actually well intentioned. Come on, he even went as far as to make an entire thread on the Tampa forum providing photos of the so-called horrible scenery in the Northeast. And he had the "Why can't people be happy for us?" thread...and now he's asking us the same question. I think he's a little angry that his social circle from up north isn't happy for him, and that anger is carrying over onto this forum.

The OP wanted to rile people up from the get go. It's obvious.
If that is the case y'all took the bait and ran with it. C'mon, admit it, you were happy to play.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Of course they trim trees in NY, when it's necessary or is a danger for some reason. The areas that I personally lived in in Florida were just concrete jungles... with palm trees "strategically" placed every so many intersections. Feels pretty unnatural to me lol

Being back home gives me a new appreciation to all of the thousands of green trees everywhere (SHADE!!!). Just something small I noticed when comparing the two areas (that is Pinellas County vs New Haven County)
I know, that was a facetious comment on my part, they mow lawns too. I understand what you mean about the concrete junglesin Florida, I don't like those either and IMO with the uncontrolled development ( thanks to all those folks from the northeast US, and all over who want their piece of paradise/real estate), there is way too much concrete. And while you can't compare the trees and canopy cover in the NE- with FL- different growing zones, there is shade in FL, depending on where you go. But I would agree with you that the shade of those mature trees in New Haven county would be refreshing.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:19 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Not just the OP's first post, but all of his other threads and his subsequent replies. I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if he posted about "Hey this is my first week in Florida, and here's what I think so far."...instead it's more like "OMG its so hot and humid!" (when he's actually poking fun at the people saying it's too hot) and "Things I dislike about FL so far!" (when he's actually saying what he likes about FL, and is provoking the so-called negative people.)

He didn't have to do any of that. Why not just post about your experiences? Again, I think others would have contributed to his topics in a different manner if they were actually well intentioned. Come on, he even went as far as to make an entire thread on the Tampa forum providing photos of the so-called horrible scenery in the Northeast. And he had the "Why can't people be happy for us?" thread...and now he's asking us the same question. I think he's a little angry that his social circle from up north isn't happy for him, and that anger is carrying over onto this forum.

The OP wanted to rile people up from the get go. It's obvious.
Check back with him in a year or two and see if the newb still feels the same way. Plenty have come and plenty have left ...

Old 07-23-2015, 12:24 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,221 times
Wow... I'm not even sure what to make of this. It blows my mind that any judge would rule in favor of this douche cannon deluxe. The Hobby Lobby decision still baffles me as well!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Where are u getting the 15% lower figure and in what industries?
Strange that he brings that up, as I said it has been financially better for "us" and that my wife and son are making a lot more here. What does some stat he comes up with have to do with what "my" family actually makes? Both of them make much more than they did in NC and both make more than the national average.

So when I state why "we" like it here, I don't know what irrelevant to us data has to do with how "we" are doing?

Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Human nature, I guess. There are folks who really don't like seeing other folks happy if they aren't all that happy themselves, or who feel compelled when they see someone who seems to be on the top of the world to take them down a peg ot two. I have family members who do that, and I have never understood their apparent need to do that. It isn't something I can do myself.

In this particular forum, seems its the chronic FL naysayers who can't resist taking pokes at a poster who says he is happy with what he sees here. IMO it's their entertainment, and I think its's pretty funny that some of them blame the "tone" of the OP's first post for making them respond to him that way.
True. But at the end of the day, the OP is happy as can be and the people taking pokes at him are apparently miserable. I'd rather be in the OP's shoes. I prefer to enjoy and be happy, than be angry at everything. Life is too short to not be happy.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I have seen them trimmed when they interfere with power lines...many old trees during Sandy took out power lines from the city to Long Island...I guess the poster meant there is a natural thinning of the herd tree wise in NY?...but they grow so slowly I don't think I ever had a tree cut on my property...funny never thought about it till now...but had lawn guy...paid a monthly fee and he would cut lawn,remove leaves and shovel snow...
I've lived so long in Florida I guess I haven't thought of the growing rates of trees and other flora "up north" compared to here in Florida. I guess it's probably partly due to the longer growing season, the humidity and rain, as well as the nature of the plants that survive and do well here that we have to trim trees, bushes, other plants much more often here than trees or other plants need trimmed up north. That could be annually, or even semiannually for trees (depending on the species and their location), every few months to mon thly during the growing season for some hedges or bushes-we have a bougainvilla bush that we have to trim monthly to keep it away from the house. I think, facetiously but half seriously as we go about taking care of all this tropical greenery, of something I heard long ago, about Florida being a jungle and any gardening or plant maintenance here really just meant keeping the jungle at bay. You never win, you just keep it at bay. Even with all the work, you have to enjoy the lush greenery that it offers.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:43 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Strange that he brings that up, as I said it has been financially better for "us" and that my wife and son are making a lot more here. What does some stat he comes up with have to do with what "my" family actually makes? Both of them make much more than they did in NC and both make more than the national average.

So when I state why "we" like it here, I don't know what irrelevant to us data has to do with how "we" are doing?
It certainly is a matter of perspective. When you are living in a dumpy apartment complex somewhere in the urban core and the best job you can find involves fast food, life in FL and anywhere else will be very uncomfortable. It is those who came with nothing and who left with nothing that are the major complainers and have to spout their rhetoric as some method of "getting even" with all that went wrong for them here. We dont see many career oriented people here. We dont see many of those who live in 3 bedroom houses with pools complaining here. The people we do see complain that wages are low, rents are high, car insurance is ultra expensive and of course how hot it is here in the most southern state in the CONUS. And they blame it all on the state. What a joke.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:45 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It certainly is a matter of perspective. When you are living in a dumpy apartment complex somewhere in the urban core and the best job you can find involves fast food, life in FL and anywhere else will be very uncomfortable. It is those who came with nothing and who left with nothing that are the major complainers and have to spout their rhetoric as some method of "getting even" with all that went wrong for them here. We dont see many career oriented people here. We dont see many of those who live in 3 bedroom houses with pools complaining here. The people we do see complain that wages are low, rents are high, car insurance is ultra expensive and of course how hot it is here in the most southern state in the CONUS. And they blame it all on the state. What a joke.
No, mostly just on Republicans!

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay