Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 5,153 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my wife and I are moving to Tampa (Tampa area) at the beginning of 2016. I have my degree in accounting and finance and she has a supply chain management degree. I am looking for feedback on job opportunities in these fields as well as starting salary if possible; we hope to have jobs secure before moving or at least some interviews lined up once weget to Tampa. Additionally which areas should we look at moving into? We will be looking for an apartment and are hoping to pay $1,300 or less per month in rent. Please respond with honest feedback so we can better understand the opportunities and challenges we face during our move. Thanks to everyone who helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Can't assist, but congrats on getting your degree....lot of hard work in getting an accounting and finance degree.....I bailed on that major after two years at USF.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:53 AM

109 posts, read 162,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Needed View Post
Hello all, my wife and I are moving to Tampa (Tampa area) at the beginning of 2016. I have my degree in accounting and finance and she has a supply chain management degree. I am looking for feedback on job opportunities in these fields as well as starting salary if possible; we hope to have jobs secure before moving or at least some interviews lined up once weget to Tampa. Additionally which areas should we look at moving into? We will be looking for an apartment and are hoping to pay $1,300 or less per month in rent. Please respond with honest feedback so we can better understand the opportunities and challenges we face during our move. Thanks to everyone who helps.
Not sure how useful supply chain management is, but there is a huge amazon plant in the south suburbs that she may be able to get a job at. Accounting degrees pay mid 30s to low 40s for newbs depending on where you work. PWC has a huge backoffice here as well.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:07 AM

350 posts, read 333,325 times
Congrats!!!!! Probably best to have jobs before deciding on area to live. Tampa Bay area is big and traffic in big areas are sometimes challenging. Does your college offer employment placement help? I'm in education so I can't help you with job opportunities, but I can tell you there are seemingly hundreds of well known financial businesses in this area. Best wishes!!! Stay on this site, you will learn so much about this area. There will be other members who can hopefully lead you into job opportunities. We are just starting our 8th year here and I LOVE TAMPA!!!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:13 AM

109 posts, read 162,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
We are just starting our 8th year here and I LOVE TAMPA!!!
Have you embraced Tampa as your "home" or do you still say "back home" when referring to the dump you came from? Just wondering.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:21 AM

290 posts, read 339,418 times
CPA?

There really is t a centralized area for financial services. Some is in St Pete, some in downtown, some in Brandon and elsewhere. A lot of people live in S Tampa or near the bridges in Pinellas county so they're fairly central to everything. Downtown St Pete and S Tampa tend to be the best places for young people.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:25 AM

Currently in the process of obtaining my CPA. I work for a public CPA firm currently but we are moving to be closer to family. Unfortunatly they do not have offices in the Tampa area.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 AM

290 posts, read 339,418 times
I'm not sure what the going rate is for non-CPA accountants, but I would guess you can probably get 45-55k.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:40 AM

Thank you to everyone who has posted it is greatly appreciated, and keep the comments coming all good information.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:33 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,578 times
I happen to be a CPA here in Tampa with an MBA as well (but I don't work in public accounting), and my experience with the Tampa job market has been dismal at best. Interviews are hard to get and salaries are lackluster. Your typical staff accounting job will only pay about $40,000, often less. Anything less than 3-4 years of experience, and most job applications will be ignored.

Public accounting firms usually only hire entry level positions from college recruiting. Once you're out of college, if you miss the boat, it's hard to get a public accounting job after you've already graduated. But if you've got like 5 years public experience, many accounting firms tend to have senior openings on their job pages that you'd be qualified for. But they'll work you gobs of overtime which a lot of firms don't pay extra for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: