Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 AM

745 posts, read 801,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb18 View Post
Try gulf harbors new port Richey
I wouldnt consider new port richey a beach community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
As has been mentioned, pretty much all of Florida has strip malls, so you will find that everywhere even in small towns.

That said, look at Sarasota - a beautiful beach city with a lot of arts and cultural amenities. Smaller and cleaner overall than St. Pete, nice vibrant small downtown on the bay and close to Lido Beach.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM

745 posts, read 801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
As has been mentioned, pretty much all of Florida has strip malls, so you will find that everywhere even in small towns.

That said, look at Sarasota - a beautiful beach city with a lot of arts and cultural amenities. Smaller and cleaner overall than St. Pete, nice vibrant small downtown on the bay and close to Lido Beach.
Sarasota has no strip malls??

Me thinks you don't know Sarasota very well...

Old 08-03-2015, 02:53 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Sarasota has no strip malls??

Me thinks you don't know Sarasota very well...
Methinks YOU can't READ very well.... I never said that, read my post again. And I have lived here for over two decades, so I know it VERY well.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:33 PM

30 posts, read 37,966 times
We have taken a couple of trips to Sarasota (aquarium and Ringling), and liked what we saw. We haven't looked around there too much though.

I guess it won't be possible to find a town around here that isn't riddled with strip malls-that's a bummer. I grew up in central Florida and finally found my way back to the state. Strip malls and cinderblock houses are going to be unavoidable, but we are really still looking for something with character. Old NE is such a small part of St. Pete, but we'd really like something like it. It has brick streets, bungalows, lots of big trees, sidewalks, and of course access to the main bike path/parks. Also St. Pete has lots of stuff going on. Is this as good as it gets in FL? Ozona sounds very small, but we will definitely check it out. Thanks everybody!!!

Old 08-05-2015, 02:04 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,990 times
Are you asking for advice on finding a home on the beach? or a home with a view of the gulf, but near a beach?

Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 PM

30 posts, read 37,966 times
Thanks everyone! I'll look into your suggestions but starting to think what we want doesn't exist!

Old 11-02-2015, 03:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
find something on the east coast of FL between Jax and Melbourne Beach, as for the Alaska comments, very unhelpful

Old 11-02-2015, 04:06 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
It's not just Florida, trust me. Portland had some depressing areas when I lived there, and even cities like Tucson, Denver, San Diego, New Orleans, and San Francisco had more than their share of dinginess (although S.F. dinginess was more about seriously bad areas and crime, no matter what the rest of the city looked like). It's just how it is in America. Any small beach town can't support itself on it's own, so there has to be areas of what you don't like. Strip mall areas, industrial areas, and low rent areas.

Funny, we're on our way to move to St. Pete, and my visit there a few months ago showed many nice areas of the city besides the bad places you mentioned. The downtown area is great, and Central Ave has lots of nice shops and a good vibe. I found some of the neighborhoods away from downtown to be fine, others not so fine. So I think everyone just has different perspectives and expectations. Take it from someone who has lived all over, including Hawaii, which may have more of what you seek but has tons of other problems. That perfect place doesn't exist, it's all about priorities and compromise. In my experience, and on our budget, I think St. Pete IS as good as it gets (for us). The people were what cinched it for me. Friendly and pretty liberal.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:57 AM

90 posts, read 122,390 times
Dunedin. Google it, tons of info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay