Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times

Advertisements

Seemed to me that Miami's attendance woes were greater than that of Tampa when I went to a game there. Unbelievably empty, even if attendance numbers don't show it. I think there are many factors at play, as other posters have said, NHL does well in Tampa.

As for the football comment, I think downtown NFL stadiums are a bad idea. Having prime real estate sit vacant 350+ days a year isn't a good deal for any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 11:42 AM

745 posts, read 800,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Seemed to me that Miami's attendance woes were greater than that of Tampa when I went to a game there. Unbelievably empty, even if attendance numbers don't show it. I think there are many factors at play, as other posters have said, NHL does well in Tampa.

As for the football comment, I think downtown NFL stadiums are a bad idea. Having prime real estate sit vacant 350+ days a year isn't a good deal for any city.
Except for maybe Detroit... where any modern, non-burned down dwelling is nice

Old 08-17-2015, 11:47 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Seattle does it right. Their NFL stadium is right next to the MLB one in Downtown.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Seattle does it right. Their NFL stadium is right next to the MLB one in Downtown.
It was also built on top of a disused railroad yard which was a toxic mess, and commercial property and housing could not be built on it...

Sound familiar? The Trop was built on top of a superfund site (the former People's gas plant), which was a toxic mess when it closed in the 1980's... a lot of you transplants dont know that

So in these 2 cases, it is a case of trying to make use of otherwise completely unusable property...

I can give you SEVERAL other examples. Camden Yards in Baltimore was built on top of the B&O Railroad's "Camden Yard", the Cincinatti Reds stadium too, if I think hard, I can think of other examples

Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
It was also built on top of a disused railroad yard which was a toxic mess, and commercial property and housing could not be built on it...

Sound familiar? The Trop was built on top of a superfund site (the former People's gas plant), which was a toxic mess when it closed in the 1980's... a lot of you transplants dont know that

So in these 2 cases, it is a case of trying to make use of otherwise completely unusable property...

I can give you SEVERAL other examples. Camden Yards in Baltimore was built on top of the B&O Railroad's "Camden Yard", the Cincinatti Reds stadium too, if I think hard, I can think of other examples
The NFL stadium is next to Camden Yards which is next to the convention center and Inner Harbor, the whole area is quite nice, and you cna take a light rail right from the airport for less than $2. I mean you cant walk 10 blocks away from that area without a bulletproof vest but you cant hit a home run every time.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The NFL stadium is next to Camden Yards which is next to the convention center and Inner Harbor, the whole area is quite nice, and you cna take a light rail right from the airport for less than $2. I mean you cant walk 10 blocks away from that area without a bulletproof vest but you cant hit a home run every time.
It is nice now... it was an industrial wasteland before the stadium was built... look it up...

My point is, that was a huge area that was so toxic, they could not build much on top of it, so in that case, a stadium was an excellent option. But in most downtown areas, quality, buildable real estate is very hard to come by, and putting something like a stadium on scarce real estate does not make much financial sense...

Old 08-17-2015, 01:59 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Charlotte has their NFL, NBA, and minor league baseball stadiums downtown.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:36 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Charlotte has their NFL, NBA, and minor league baseball stadiums downtown.
Did not realize that. Pretty impressive.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
Location is very important. My example is the Chicago Cubs. The stadium was built smack dab, inside a Chicago neighborhood. Most fans have always walked to the stadium from their homes. The above ground L-Train, next to Wrigley Field was built many years before the Cubs stadium was built. The L-Train has helped attendance for decades, but we don't have that here in Tampa Bay.

I believe there were very good people from the 1980's, involved with bringing the current Rays stadium, smack dab in the center of the city, but Tropicana Field area is 80% businesses, 20% residential. It is the complete opposite with the Cubs stadium, they are located in an area of 80% residential, 20% businesses. The Cubs sell out every home game no matter how bad they are in the standings.

Maybe the stadium, should have originally been built in the Old Northeast neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:50 PM

554 posts, read 976,943 times
I think the biggest problems are that overall interest in baseball is declining and the fact that many people here are not locals so they are not attached to the Rays. When I lived in Atlanta, back in the 90s and 2000s, the Braves were drawing 30k every game and Turner Field is in a very bad neighborhood and very far from the fan base. There was nothing near the stadium at all and it was a PITA to get to especially with Atlanta traffic. The past few years, the attendance has dropped so like every other team, they are building a new stadium which of course the tax payers will pay for. Anyhow, I was at the Trop last week and I noticed that there were a lot of Braves Fans at the game. I suspect that at most games, there are a lot of fans from the visiting team. As far as dealing with the stadium itself, it does seem outdated but I think it could be refurbed rather then torn down. I don't think moving it 6 miles up the road to N. St. Pete or across the bay to Tampa would help. In reality, it only takes 5 min to get from Gandy to 175 / 375 even at 6:00 PM. I think the Rays marketing team needs to get their act together and try to make the Rays part of the local community and ownership needs to open their wallets and build a stronger team. I guarantee 14yrs in a row of winning the division will improve attendance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay