Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 PM

15 posts, read 22,131 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I have read and was told that FishHawk Ranch has an increase in Pediatric in Cancer rates.
We were about to buy in this area, but now have anxiety about it BC I have two small children ...
Any validity to this?
Please comment..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 PM

64 posts, read 78,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny19793 View Post
Hi!
I have read and was told that FishHawk Ranch has an increase in Pediatric in Cancer rates.
We were about to buy in this area, but now have anxiety about it BC I have two small children ...
Any validity to this?
Please comment..
If this is true, then this is very scary indeed.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
No telling the validity or credibility of your sources as you dont list them but for peace of mind perhaps you should look elsewhere to relocate.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny19793 View Post
Hi!
Any validity to this?
Please comment..
Please identify the source of this information.

It's pretty irresponsible to post something like this without citing the source. Saying that you read this implies it's been in printed or published media. Not to mention there is no way for someone to validate such claims without backing up the statement with verified sources or data.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 08-16-2015 at 06:00 AM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 08-16-2015, 06:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Maybe it has to do with the new large power lines being installed by TECO, discussed here. I personally would never live near these sort of power lines that will soon run thru Fishhawk Ranch and vicinity.

TECO reveals design for new high-voltage lines | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune

Old 08-16-2015, 07:08 AM

473 posts, read 543,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Maybe it has to do with the new large power lines being installed by TECO, discussed here. I personally would never live near these sort of power lines that will soon run thru Fishhawk Ranch and vicinity.

TECO reveals design for new high-voltage lines | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
That's impossible, a study to determine increase in pediatric cancer rates in a a specific are would take years to conduct.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:19 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
There have been many studies over many decades indicating the increased risk of cancer when living near power lines. The highest risk is for childhood leukemia. There are also studies saying there is no link. But if you have kids and you can buy a house that ISN'T near a large power line configuration, why wouldn't you? Plus there are estimates that say you will have difficulty re-selling power-line homes, as much as 10-20%.

Not a good investment in my mind.

Here's part of a link from Environment Health and Safey Online that cites studies.

Overhead Power Lines Weaken Natural Killer Cells

Another type of EMR (electromagnetic radiation) is called "extremely low frequency" magnetic fields, which are produced by high voltage power lines. Several studies have linked high voltage power lines with increased cancer risk for children. Research from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and the University of Colorado found a five-fold increase in childhood cancer, particularly leukemia, in those homes near the highest level of extremely low frequency fields. Homes showing increased cancer risk were within 48 feet of power line wires designed to carry very high electric currents and within 22 feet of power lines designed to carry lower currents.

In helping to explain why this could be happening, Dr. Jerry Phillips, director of biochemical research at the Cancer Therapy and Research Center in San Antonio, Texas, conducted research into this problem. Dr. Phillips experiments have shown that exposure to extremely low frequency electric fields causes an abnormal increase in the growth of cancer cells. His research of the immune system found that natural killer T-cells were also 60-70% less effective in killing the cancer cells.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Surely this FishHawk Ranch area cant have that many power lines that people would avoid the place due to the possibility of increased risk of cancer.
in fact are the power lines the cause for the pediatric cancer concern the op has been told? could be the water,or a particular manufacturing plant in the area,without further data on the ops concerns theres no way for us to give credible advice on the issue..

Old 08-16-2015, 01:54 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
I never heard about anything related to increase of pediatric cancer in FishHawk area. I cannot even think where it's coming from. I bet it has something to do with FUTURE TECO power lines and people who ended up getting this build on their backyards was concerned with possible future health concerns and someone picked it up and spread the word of EXISTING increase.

Other people in this thread were right, it takes years to conduct that kind of studies. And it hard to proof that exactly is causing the problem.

I was always wondering why it's allowed to build anything within such a close approx. of transmission power lines. As far as I remember the deal with TECO was done years ago, and the right of way these are getting built were TECO's for a long time. I mean it's kind of naïve to buy a house that is backing up to TECO ROW and expect there never be anything built out there...

Old 08-16-2015, 02:18 PM

877 posts, read 1,911,777 times
Where on earth is this coming from? Fishhawk Ranch is basically for families so my guess is that there may be more children with cancer there only because there are more children there on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay