Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:24 AM

290 posts, read 338,088 times

Advertisements

Dana Shores is worth considering. Apollo Beach has some good neighborhoods too and it should be right at 30 minutes... Apart from that I think the best areas are accounted for in this thread. I'd recommend staying away from Seminole Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 AM

745 posts, read 798,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Oh, so the Heights was a good buy for you then. Thank you for clarifying.
It wasnt...

I made money net on the deal, yes. But I am not a real estate flipper, I intended to live in the house, not hate the area so much that I HAD to move. I was literally stuck with the house for 5 years because I did not want to take a loss on the house...

If I had bought the house I now live in back in 2001, I would be WAY ahead (on paper) and never have had to move

You can't try to put a positive spin on living in that area... unless you are a low life, section 8 dweller or scumbag, then, yeah, you would be right at home

Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,323,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
It wasnt...

I made money net on the deal, yes. But I am not a real estate flipper, I intended to live in the house, not hate the area so much that I HAD to move. I was literally stuck with the house for 5 years because I did not want to take a loss on the house...

If I had bought the house I now live in back in 2001, I would be WAY ahead (on paper) and never have had to move

You can't try to put a positive spin on living in that area... unless you are a low life, section 8 dweller or scumbag, then, yeah, you would be right at home
So you are saying that anyone who enjoys living there is "a low life, section 8 dweller or scumbag", huh? Wow

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-20-2015 at 06:11 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,323,397 times
Quote:
Not everyone, there are always exceptions, but yeah... i'm saying most people that live in Tampa Heights are a bunch of scumbags
Quoted for the record.

You are disgusting.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Quoted for the record.

You are disgusting.
That's your opinion... you are entitled to it, as I am mine...

Old 08-17-2015, 01:46 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,189,214 times
Quote:
It wasnt...

I believe you have said in the past that you bought that house for 50K, right?. That's what happen buying in an area too good to be true.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:51 AM

5 posts, read 5,294 times
Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.

Sounds like Seminole Heights has the flavour but may not be quite gentrified enough for us (I could probably handle it, but my fiancé.. Not so much). Don't want her to feel trapped at home. oh well, I probably sound like a hipster now.

I definitely think South Tampa is probably the best choice for us, especially if we can find the right property (since a smaller, more expensive home works for us). Is the Palma Ceia area pretty good? I have the impression that South Tampa overall is pretty good, but that the more central/eastern ish areas are best. How different are the areas of South Tampa?

Thoughts on Carrollwood? Saw a lot of homes in the area that appealed but figure there must be some downside.

As for St Pete, it initially appealed but it looked like crime was bad and I'm worried about backups on the bridge. Unfounded?

Appreciate all the input!

Old 08-18-2015, 12:55 AM

5 posts, read 5,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
Dana Shores is worth considering. Apollo Beach has some good neighborhoods too and it should be right at 30 minutes... Apart from that I think the best areas are accounted for in this thread. I'd recommend staying away from Seminole Heights.
Thanks for the tip! Dana shores looks great but I'm concerned about flooding and I think the traffic pattern could suck the way it mixes up with the cross-town to/from St Pete and wraps around the airport. Have heard good things about Apollo beach so will look at it.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigblueHI View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.

Sounds like Seminole Heights has the flavour but may not be quite gentrified enough for us (I could probably handle it, but my fiancé.. Not so much). Don't want her to feel trapped at home. oh well, I probably sound like a hipster now.
You don't want to live in that area of town, especially if you have plans to raise a family... no way

Quote:
I definitely think South Tampa is probably the best choice for us, especially if we can find the right property (since a smaller, more expensive home works for us). Is the Palma Ceia area pretty good? I have the impression that South Tampa overall is pretty good, but that the more central/eastern ish areas are best. How different are the areas of South Tampa?
That's probably your best bet, there are little cliques within s. tampa. Palma Ceia is old money

Quote:
Thoughts on Carrollwood? Saw a lot of homes in the area that appealed but figure there must be some downside.
Other than traffic, Carrolwood is nice.

Quote:
As for St Pete, it initially appealed but it looked like crime was bad and I'm worried about backups on the bridge. Unfounded?
I would not want to commute to / from St. PEte every day... screw that[/quote]

Don't discount the Westchase area...

Old 08-18-2015, 08:11 AM

101 posts, read 113,536 times
Discount the Westchase area heavily. You have the $$$ to be in S Tampa...just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay