Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times

Advertisements

Best Places to Live 2015: The 5 Best Big U.S. Cities

Best in the Southeast: Tampa
Do the people of Tampa even bother to brag about their beaches anymore? Earlier this year the Tampa Bay Lightning nearly beat Chicago for the Stanley Cup—yes, that’s ice hockey. In 2014 the city hosted the 15th International Indian Film Academy Awards—the Bollywood ­Oscars—thanks in part to its 15,000-strong Indian community. The Tampa Museum of Art brought its acclaimed contemporary collection to a stunning new building in 2010. And up for 2017: college football’s national championship. Says Neal Anderson, a small-business owner who moved from Chicago in March: “It really feels like a city whose time has arrived.”

Five years ago, few would have predicted that. Like most places in Florida, Tampa was hit hard by the real estate crisis. The median home price fell from $210,000 in 2006 to $91,000 in 2011, according to Zillow. But to new arrivals, that can look like an advantage. While prices have risen in the past three years, they’re still more than a third below 2006 peaks. A 1920s three-bedroom bungalow in the Seminole Heights section or a newer four-bedroom home in the planned community of Tampa Palms can be had for less than $300,000.

Tampa’s potential isn’t tied just to affordable real estate. A recent airport expansion helped bring flights from Seattle and Zurich and in turn helped lure a Bristol-Myers Squibb marketing and IT center with 600 jobs. An Amazon distribution plant, opened last year, brought 1,000 more. Moody’s estimates job growth in Tampa at nearly 15% in the next five years. “Tampa still isn’t on the radar of people in the Northeast and the Midwest,” says Jeffrey Vinik, a former hedge fund manager (and owner of the hockey team), who is also investing in redevelopment projects and a new medical center. He moved his family here from Boston three years ago. “I think it’s going boom,” Vinik says
Tampa named top city in Southeast in latest Money magazine survey | Tampa Bay Times
Tampa was named the "best city" in the Southeast by Money magazine, one of five cities with at least 300,000 population across the country that Money calls "urban gems" that offer an "abundance of amenities at livable prices."

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 08-17-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:55 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Nice article - thanks for posting.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:31 PM

335 posts, read 406,757 times
Great artiicle

Old 08-17-2015, 08:24 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
What a great thing and so deserving. No wonder all these billionaires are headed to Tampa to get in on the growth plans. They know a good thing when they see it and I am not even a city person. I do, however, see the benefits to the entire Tampa Bay area of having a top notch city, with such massive interest in the current and future growth plans.

This now reminds me of that funny person who wrote that article saying Tampa should follow Raleigh's lead in growth. Raleigh? Little Raleigh? Really? I guess he is eating crow now.....LOL!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:18 PM

290 posts, read 339,533 times
Thanks for sharing! I'm not sure I agree with the cities they chose, but it is nice to see Tampa getting some recognition!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
What a great thing and so deserving. No wonder all these billionaires are headed to Tampa to get in on the growth plans. They know a good thing when they see it and I am not even a city person. I do, however, see the benefits to the entire Tampa Bay area of having a top notch city, with such massive interest in the current and future growth plans.

This now reminds me of that funny person who wrote that article saying Tampa should follow Raleigh's lead in growth. Raleigh? Little Raleigh? Really? I guess he is eating crow now.....LOL!
Mod edit Besides Vinik, what billionaires are you talking about?

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 08-18-2015 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: Removed trolling post and personal attacks.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Besides Vinik, what billionaires are you talking about?
Three Tampa-area residents on Forbes billionaire list | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
Three Tampa Bay area residents are among the 1,826 billionaires on Forbes magazine’s list of the world’s richest people.

Shopping mall magnate and Tampa resident Edward DeBartolo (No. 497), Ashley Furniture owner Ronald Wanek (No. 949) of St. Petersburg, and Publix chairwoman Carol Jenkins Barnett (1,324) of Lakeland made the list, which was topped by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates.

DeBartolo’s net worth is listed as $3.4 billion, followed by Wanek ($2.2 billion) and Barnett ($1.4 billion).

DeBartolo co-founded the Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate High School in Tampa with Bucs Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks, and also is on the board of directors for the Moffitt Cancer Center.

Wanek owns Ashley Furniture Industries, the country’s largest home furniture manufacturer which is based in Arcadia, Wisconsin.

Barnett is the daughter of Publix founder George Jenkins.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 08-18-2015 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: Edit quoted post

Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 PM

Proposed 75-story towers would vault Tampa into top tier of skyscraper cities | Tampa Bay Times

A rendering of the $1.5 billion project released last week shows two 75-story towers soaring above the waterfront area that the port hopes to redevelop over 15 years

Towers that tall would vault Tampa into the ranks of such sky-scraping cities as Dubai, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

Towers that tall would have more floors than half of the world's 100 tallest buildings.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:10 AM

114 posts, read 250,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Proposed 75-story towers would vault Tampa into top tier of skyscraper cities | Tampa Bay Times

A rendering of the $1.5 billion project released last week shows two 75-story towers soaring above the waterfront area that the port hopes to redevelop over 15 years

Towers that tall would vault Tampa into the ranks of such sky-scraping cities as Dubai, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

Towers that tall would have more floors than half of the world's 100 tallest buildings.

I'm not against growth and tall skyscrapers in any way, but I do hope these are buildings with character and not the pencil-skyscrapers popping up in NYC and other cities. I like Tampa's skyline better than Miami's because, while smaller, Tampa has more buildings with character and not just tall boxy condos (not to offend Miami people, your skyline is lovely I just prefer Tampa's).

Old 08-18-2015, 01:38 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Three Tampa-area residents on Forbes billionaire list | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
Three Tampa Bay area residents are among the 1,826 billionaires on Forbes magazine’s list of the world’s richest people.

Shopping mall magnate and Tampa resident Edward DeBartolo (No. 497), Ashley Furniture owner Ronald Wanek (No. 949) of St. Petersburg, and Publix chairwoman Carol Jenkins Barnett (1,324) of Lakeland made the list, which was topped by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates.

DeBartolo’s net worth is listed as $3.4 billion, followed by Wanek ($2.2 billion) and Barnett ($1.4 billion).

DeBartolo co-founded the Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate High School in Tampa with Bucs Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks, and also is on the board of directors for the Moffitt Cancer Center.

Wanek owns Ashley Furniture Industries, the country’s largest home furniture manufacturer which is based in Arcadia, Wisconsin.

Barnett is the daughter of Publix founder George Jenkins.
And Bill Gates is one of the ones who is investing here is well. That is so exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay